Emmeline XP-7 vs. HeadAmp GS-1
Mar 8, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #31 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by mazersteven

The Headamp products, the Gilmore Lite w/ Dedicated Power Supply. Or a GS-1 would suit my needs, and pair well with my Senn 600 & AKG 701's.

Just out of Curiosity. Is there any other Amps, someone can think of that would be a better choice?
eggosmile.gif
basshead.gif
icon10.gif

Before you jump the gun, I think you should wait a bit more for responses from other members. I didnt read the whole thread through but skimmed through it. BHD seems to have some very informative insight.

If I were in your shoes Id take advantage of the return policy, toss all preconceptions out the window and listen for myself and assess the amplifiers personally.

A persons opinion does not necessary reflect what you may percieve as enjoyable. Ive been lucky enough to meet both manufacturers at the so cal meet in person and test the gears they had on display.

I am however not in the correct position to offer a fair assessment since I did not spend much time with either amplifiers, If I were to do so,, it would be unfair to the manufacturers and may possibly give an incorrect recommendation on my part.

I think the main differences between both amp builders are that their line exhibit a certain signature trademark.

You are best to call up both ray an justin for their opinions on their amplifiers.

If it helps any I think Ray tunes his amps with the sennheiser hd600's and akg 701's. So I do not believe synergy would pose a problem with either can.

I did not listen to the GS-X for very long, but did notice the 600s sounded very nice with the GS-X also.

sorry I was not much help, you really are comparing two very solid amplifiers and the higher up the chain you go, the more difficult these decisions become.

Good luck.

Mar 8, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #32 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Thorsen
Any kind of idea what these modules are supposed to be/do?

I think this would be the equivelant to tube swapping in tube amps? Correct me if I am wrong.

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #34 of 66
I have one thing to interject, being that the average Head-Fier changes amps more often then their socks. No matter what amp you pick, there will come a time that you will hear another amp (whether it be at a meet or a friend's house) that will interest you more. If you upgrade your source or interconnects, an amp that once had good synergy in your system might be outclassed by another.
So now, all you can do, is listen to a couple of amps in your price range and make a decision that you will probably change, a little further down the road. It is a fun part of this hobby, which is why it is good that Head-Fi offers a free Buy/Sell forum where most people on both sides of the fence get a pretty good deal.
However, I often see people suggest the option of buying from Todd or Headroom or one of the manufacturers with the option of being able to return it in a certain amount of time. I feel this should be done only after you've taken the time out to decide that this is the right product for you and then you find out that you are truly miserable with that product. Please take into account that the sellers lose a good deal of money when they take products back and have to re-sell it as used or a demo. Just think that if it were your business and you had a small margin and your profit is totally lost if you take something back. People like Todd offer the money back guarantee to enable people to buy with confidence, but how can he or Ray or Mikhail or Justin stay in business, if people abuse the system. Just put yourselves in their shoes for a minute.
Even Circuit City and Best Buy charge a 10-15% restocking fee to cover their losses.

IMHO, of course. Good luck making your decision now, and all of your future decisions. The thrill of the chase is part of the fun.
cool.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #35 of 66
Quote:

Don't lock my Thread. I'm trying to learn here.
eggosmile.gif

Yes everyone has there own opinions. Lets respect them, Please.

...leave it to mazer to get his thread locked
tongue.gif
lol

great discussion btw

Mar 9, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #36 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
I think this would be the equivelant to tube swapping in tube amps? Correct me if I am wrong.

Don't know what the new modules looks like, but they would be replacing two of these in the GS-1.

Mar 9, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #37 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
However, I often see people suggest the option of buying from Todd or Headroom or one of the manufacturers with the option of being able to return it in a certain amount of time. I feel this should be done only after you've taken the time out to decide that this is the right product for you and then you find out that you are truly miserable with that product. Please take into account that the sellers lose a good deal of money when they take products back and have to re-sell it as used or a demo. Just think that if it were your business and you had a small margin and your profit is totally lost if you take something back. People like Todd offer the money back guarantee to enable people to buy with confidence, but how can he or Ray or Mikhail or Justin stay in business, if people abuse the system. Just put yourselves in their shoes for a minute.

Even Circuit City and Best Buy charge a 10-15% restocking fee to cover their losses.

As the young people say, WORD!!

A return period may be free to the buyer, but it's a significant cost of doing business for the seller. It's intended to add assurance to a buyer who has done his homework, but might have some lingering doubts about whether he's made the right choice for his particular gear. To the extent that it gets abused, it will eventually go away.

I think it's incumbent upon us to do our homework first, and ensure that we're making an educated decision. After that, if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. But taking advantage of two different manufacturer's return period to decide which amp you want strikes me as the wrong way to go about things.

Mar 9, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #38 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom

A return period may be free to the buyer, but it's a significant cost of doing business for the seller. It's intended to add assurance to a buyer who has done his homework, but might have some lingering doubts about whether he's made the right choice for his particular gear. To the extent that it gets abused, it will eventually go away.

I think it's incumbent upon us to do our homework first, and ensure that we're making an educated decision. After that, if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. But taking advantage of two different manufacturer's return period to decide which amp you want strikes me as the wrong way to go about things.

Agreed 100 percent with all of this. I want to make as informed a decision going in as I can, because I really don't want to "abuse" the generous exchange terms that most of these places have.

I'm not trying to have a glorified rental situation.
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #39 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom

That's why I started this Thread. To educate myself before purchasing.

So start educating me.
basshead.gif
LOL

This had been a very informative, and positive thread. Please keep the opinions coming.

Mar 9, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #40 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
I have one thing to interject, being that the average Head-Fier changes amps more often then their socks. No matter what amp you pick, there will come a time that you will hear another amp (whether it be at a meet or a friend's house) that will interest you more. If you upgrade your source or interconnects, an amp that once had good synergy in your system might be outclassed by another.
So now, all you can do, is listen to a couple of amps in your price range and make a decision that you will probably change, a little further down the road. It is a fun part of this hobby, which is why it is good that Head-Fi offers a free Buy/Sell forum where most people on both sides of the fence get a pretty good deal.

IMHO, of course. Good luck making your decision now, and all of your future decisions. The thrill of the chase is part of the fun.
cool.gif

I totally understand what you mean. My apologies, I did not mean to encourage anything negative.

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #41 of 66
Again I would like to express a Sincere Thank You to Sacd Lover & BHD812 for taking their time to help. You two guys have given me a lot of great information, and knowledge. You guys have made it easy to understand, and the detail in your posts is greatly appreciated.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

And Thanks to everyone else that's helped, and made this a fun read.

RSA HR-2 vs. the XP-7. Less then a $200 difference. Opinions for my system?

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #42 of 66
Quote:

RSA HR-2 vs. the XP-7. Less then a $200 difference. Opinions for my system?

If its for home use Id personally go for the hr-2. Its the top SS amp from the RSA line. And has a history here as being a solid performer and a classic.

the xp-7 is battery powered, will you be using it for transportable use also?
If not Id just go straight for the top offering since the price difference is not that large IMO.

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #43 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
If its for home use Id personally go for the hr-2. Its the top SS amp from the RSA line. And has a history here as being a solid performer and a classic.

the xp-7 is battery powered, will you be using it for transportable use also?
If not Id just go straight for the top offering since the price difference is not that large IMO.

Home use only. For use while watching movies, and music listening. At all volume levels high, and low.
eggosmile.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #45 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
If you fo Go the Ray route go xp-7 with 797 opamp's
also most likely a power supply to.

Atleast this way if you eve go portable you dont need to buy another amp...of course now you may not need it but if you get addicted as most of us have/are then your alittle safer.

Will never go Portable. Not my thing.
basshead.gif
eggosmile.gif

And if I did I'd just purchase another amp. But like I said, not my thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back