Emmeline "The Shadow"
Nov 9, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #856 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by samson1978 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome! It makes it more feasible to carry both the iPhone and the amp together. Do you know when you will start selling them?

I emailed Ray and told him where I live. He then responded with a price that includes shipping. Then I PayPal'd him the money. Done !!

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #857 of 999
Ray,

I have an iPod Touch. I am assuming that the LOD for iPhone will work with my unit? Please advise pricing, lead time, and S/H to Los Angeles, CA 90045.

Thanks.

Jay

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bottom pictures are the low profile Doc cable made for iPod/iPhone with shortest possible mil spec cable. It is truly so miniture in shape & look that you won't even know it is there.
In the upper picture, on left, the LOD is used with iPhone & the Shadow, to the right of that it is used with NANO & the Shadow.
RSA

DSC_6133.jpg

DSC_6132.jpg

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #859 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another nice "pocketable' alternative but much more expensive is the "Reverie" from Cable Pro. A real musical treat
smily_headphones1.gif

It will be interesting how they compare sonically

I don't think this cable is competitive with Ray's because Ray's uses a different design. Same 1/8" connector but different line-out connector, as well as different cable. Also, I wouldn't call that LOD "pocketable", as the cable comes out the bottom of the line-out connector, just asking to be repeatedly crimped, bent and eventually broken in a pocket, at least in my opinion. What's the price on the Reverie?

Nov 10, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #860 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpalsm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know if I would go quite that far. I know there have been LODs made by Head-Fiers like this before. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome design, and I'm glad to see a manufactured version; perhaps it will become more widely adopted. I've also seen one where the cable comes out the backside of the LOD connector, facing the amp. That's a handy design as well, but probably trickier to design. I never liked the idea of an LOD where the cable just comes out the bottom of the connector; not very pocket friendly. LODs should have been designed the way Ray's is from the start if you ask me!

I was at Ray's Saturday and saw one of these with the side cable exit. If I understood correctly, he actually has to create the side cable exit and fill in the bottom. He also mentioned the wiring connection was more difficult for the side exit than the bottom. In all told, these seem very time consuming compared to what one might expect. I remember something similar when I talked with Ray about how much time it took to assemble the B-52.

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #861 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was at Ray's Saturday and saw one of these with the side cable exit. If I understood correctly, he actually has to create the side cable exit and fill in the bottom. He also mentioned the wiring connection was more difficult for the side exit than the bottom. In all told, these seem very time consuming compared to what one might expect. I remember something similar when I talked with Ray about how much time it took to assemble the B-52.

Like I said, I've seen it done before, yes it's more difficult, but Ray didn't pioneer it
wink.gif
He may be the first to sell them on a large scale though, I've only seen this type of LOD DIY'ed. Competative price too!

*Moderator's EDIT*

Nov 10, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #864 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well the pico slim which is the shadow's true counterpart is not out yet but I think it is fair to say the pico is warmer and the shadow is more neutral/transparent but that is just my 2 cents.

Why, why, why...would you comment on something that you never heard and isn't even out yet?
confused.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #865 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another nice "pocketable' alternative but much more expensive is the XXXXXXXXXXXXX. A real musical treat
smily_headphones1.gif

This is a Member of the Trade paid advertising thread.

Nov 10, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #866 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Ray,

First I want to say thank you for creating such a wonderful amp in the Shadow. You've really out done yourself with this tiny offering. I've got ~130 hours on the shadow and it's still continuing to surprising me.

I did not know you also make LODs and have a couple of questions:
What are the specs of the wire you use? It looks like solid, not stranded wire based on the bend memory in the pictures? Silver? Copper?
It looks like an angled Neutrik? Correct?
Cost?

Can someone answer my questions?

Nov 10, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #867 of 999
Ray Samuels;6134534 said:
Hi friends & head-fiers...
I have been asked time & again to make some cables with military spec wire that I use in my amps.

I have come with this very special iPod/iPhon DOC cable that uses one off the highest quality mil specs wire. It is also very expensive as this wire has gone through all kind of tests being that of the salty water environment or icy cold outer space or to hell & back kind of heat.

We are using the 20 AWG wires which have the highest purity copper, with silver coating & heat resistant jacket. We are also implementing the best 90 degree angle, stereo mini jacks with Gold contacts. As far as the iPod doc connector, we are using the lowest profile doc connector available in the market. This cable is designed for the Shadow & the Nano, see the pictures below. It brings the best of your music to your amp with out missing on any of the three frequencies.

It truly sounds amazing. This is the very first of its kind, we will be making this cable for all type of ipod/amps that you have.

The Intro price is $100.00 only. Enjoy the pictures.
Ray Samuels

Nov 10, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #868 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigsojoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked Ray about the RSA DOC working with my 2G iPod Touch, which uses a different pin configuration from the 1st Gen Touch (my LOD cables from ALO and Moon Audio work with all my iPods and my old Touch, but not my 2 Gen Touch). Ray assured me it will work with both. I'm guessing the situation is the same with the new Nano, but you can always email Ray directly and ask him. I should receive the RSA DOC in the next day or two, so I can let you know how that works out. I can also test it on my friend's 5 Gen Nano for you.

PM me if you want my feedback when I get the dock.

On a related note, I emailed Ken Ball at ALO Audio to ask the same question; he told me the fist four LODs listed here (under "iPod" on the "portable audio" page):
ALO Audio
would work with the new pin layout (at least for the new Touch).

Cables that work with the iPhone also work with the 2G Touch and also the older iPods. Should work with the 5G Nano as well.

They short a pin on the LOD to get the internal speaker to shut off so that you can get line out audio. That pin isn't used on the old iPods and wont affect them or be a problem. Of course the old LOD wont work on the iPhone/Touch/5G Nano.

Nov 11, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #869 of 999
3 posts removed due to talking about competitive products in a MOT Sponsored "paid for" thread. This thread is for information, questions and ordering of the the MOT's products.
If you want to talk about competitive products, please start a different thread.

Nov 11, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #870 of 999
Sorry did not know the rules

Users who are viewing this thread

Back