Emmeline "The Shadow"
Nov 9, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #841 of 999
Hi Ray,

First I want to say thank you for creating such a wonderful amp in the Shadow. You've really out done yourself with this tiny offering. I've got ~130 hours on the shadow and it's still continuing to surprising me.

I did not know you also make LODs and have a couple of questions:
What are the specs of the wire you use? It looks like solid, not stranded wire based on the bend memory in the pictures? Silver? Copper?
It looks like an angled Neutrik? Correct?
Cost?

Nov 9, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #842 of 999
Hey Ray,
Having the wire come out of the side of the LOD is sheer genius!
beerchug.gif

RayLOD.jpg

Another Ray innovation.

Nov 9, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #843 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Ray,
Having the wire come out of the side of the LOD is sheer genius!
beerchug.gif

Another Ray innovation.

Don't know if I would go quite that far. I know there have been LODs made by Head-Fiers like this before. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome design, and I'm glad to see a manufactured version; perhaps it will become more widely adopted. I've also seen one where the cable comes out the backside of the LOD connector, facing the amp. That's a handy design as well, but probably trickier to design. I never liked the idea of an LOD where the cable just comes out the bottom of the connector; not very pocket friendly. LODs should have been designed the way Ray's is from the start if you ask me!

Nov 9, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #845 of 999
The low profile LOD is nice. The only issue with the cable coming out of the side is that it sometimes pulls from the side due to the cable bend tension and causes the lod to pull out. I would like to see the LOD designed where the cable comes out of the back. Or a molded plastic piece that exits the cable toward the back of the ipod as many of us piggy back the amp.

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #847 of 999
This inquiry is for owners of both Shadow and Pico.

Generally, how do the two compare SQ wise? Which one is "warmer"? Which was is more "neutral/transparent"?

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #848 of 999
well the pico slim which is the shadow's true counterpart is not out yet but I think it is fair to say the pico is warmer and the shadow is more neutral/transparent but that is just my 2 cents.

Nov 9, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #849 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well the pico slim which is the shadow's true counterpart is not out yet but I think it is fair to say the pico is warmer and the shadow is more neutral/transparent but that is just my 2 cents.

I'm confused? If the Pico Slim is not out yet, how can you claim 'it fair to say' it is warmer than the Shadow?

I can tell you that the Shadow is very transparent. However, neutral is not really how I would describe it. It sounds very natural and has an underlying subtle organic quality I've not experienced in portable amps before.

Nov 9, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #850 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Apologies if my inquiry was vague. I was requesting comparisons between the Shadow and the Pico (not the Pico Slim). Just would like to request clarification that you are making reference to the Pico (or the Pico Slim)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confused? If the Pico Slim is not out yet, how can you claim 'it fair to say' it is warmer than the Shadow?

I can tell you that the Shadow is very transparent. However, neutral is not really how I would describe it. It sounds very natural and has an underlying subtle organic quality I've not experienced in portable amps before.

Please help me out with the lingo. I was under the assumption that Flat = Neutral = Transparent. If not, would appreciate if you could explain the differences between the terms.

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #851 of 999
I am sure this is the wrong place.....but this is how my luggable lump looks at the moment,

I know.....rubberbands, they will go for a velcro strap, and I will get something to protects the shadow from inpact, and I have cut out a nice metal plate to go on the lid of the belkin....a sideways LOD would make it a lot better, but I need 30 cm cable....I like it all that way as it all is well protected (once it is done), I can put it in my pockets (upside down) or attach it to my belt (right way up) and get to all the controls, speak to people without getting my iems out...it works now good like this for a couple of days
o2smile.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #852 of 999
Ray put me down for one of the LOD's too please
smily_headphones1.gif

However, I do have a 5th generation Nano that I'd like to be using with my shadow, and I know the pinout is different than that of all the older nano's etc, so if it could be made to work with my 5G that would be fantastic!

Thanks a lot, the shadow has already proven itself many times over... having the super portable LOD would just make everything that much better.

Nov 9, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #853 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pale Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray, please put me down for one of the LOD cables.

Now, if I could only get one like that for my iMod.............

I know huh, I'd like one for the iMod too but its unlikely the caps would fit inside the dock. I just ordered one anyway. I picked up the "Reverie" from Cable Pro as well and that thing is just amazing !!!! Top to BOTTOM goodness. YUM

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #854 of 999
The bottom pictures are the low profile Doc cable made for iPod/iPhone with shortest possible mil spec cable. It is truly so miniture in shape & look that you won't even know it is there.
In the upper picture, on left, the LOD is used with iPhone & the Shadow, to the right of that it is used with NANO & the Shadow.
RSA

DSC_6133.jpg

DSC_6132.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back