Emmeline "The Shadow"
Nov 1, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #721 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
everyone who bought a Shadow did so b/c they followed the Shadow threads so they will know about this by now.

Obviously quite a few people didn't, or they wouldn't have been in this thread wondering aloud why their Shadows are crapping out when they try to listen from their computers while charging over USB.

If you're going to make an amp that could potentially damage both itself and any connected headphones when used in a certain -- not illogical -- way, then the onus is on you to make damn sure your customers are aware of that risk. Mentioning it in the instructions or on your Web site would be a start, I guess.

Nov 1, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #723 of 999
Would somebody tell me how to get the money to ray using paypal, I have no clue I have a paypal account but I don't know what I need to do , he says use his email adress , but I do not know what he means, thanks for the help everyone

Nov 1, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #724 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is that a line out for X1000?

Yes, that is line-out for X1060 by Goertz Triode Quartz Silver. But I have plan to renew for The Shadow.

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #725 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salto_angel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that is line-out for X1060 by Goertz Triode Quartz Silver. But I have plan to renew for The Shadow.

Hey-
How do you find the improvements with that LO cable? I'm highly interested in trying out something like that for my X1060!

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #726 of 999
I want reserve one, ready to pay

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #727 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Obviously quite a few people didn't, or they wouldn't have been in this thread wondering aloud why their Shadows are crapping out when they try to listen from their computers while charging over USB.

If you're going to make an amp that could potentially damage both itself and any connected headphones when used in a certain -- not illogical -- way, then the onus is on you to make damn sure your customers are aware of that risk. Mentioning it in the instructions or on your Web site would be a start, I guess.

Of course there should be a warning. Ray could send out a mass email and put a printed warning on all future shipments.

I am sure Ray would cover any damaged amps that were sent out w/o the warning.

However, as of now, we are only talking about 2 or 3 people out of 200 who did this and, so far, no damage reported.

This is likely a non issue and a simple warning will take care of the future.

BTW, did you buy one ?

If not, I would recommend it, it is a stunning amp and now you know what not to do with it
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #728 of 999
What can I say? A really great product. Very well designed and built. Absolutely first rate sound from my Classic + Shadow sitting comfortably in my shirt pocket. The volume control works very well. Much easier to adjust than the alternative itsy bitsy knob. Thanks, Ray.

Nov 1, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #729 of 999
What is the count so far? And how many are available for delivery?

Nov 1, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #730 of 999
Day 4 impressions/experience.

I caveat all below with two notes. First, while I do use lossless files and have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, my stock iPod 5.5G and 48-year-old, ex-military-pilot ears create both source and receptor limitations. Second, I only have a few hours on the amp, and meaningful SQ judgment awaits full burn-in. That said:

- The new battery took about 6 hours on the wall charger the first time, before the light went out.

- Shadow sounds great out of the box. Frankly my Tomahawk impresses in that it gives the Shadow a run for its money…so far. However, through the UM3X, Shadow already has an edge in definition and clarity. I have not listened critically with my office G1As, but it seems to drive those very well too. And it’s a keeper for the form factor improvement.

- I’m getting used to the volume control. New routine is switch unit on, hold volume to full increase for 3 potatoes, start music, then fine adjust. I miss my tactile TH knob…but I am guessing that a commensurately sized tiny knob here would not satisfy in the same way. And I sure like the silent precision of the digital control.

- I knew this going in, but I’m not thrilled with the input jack being on the back end of the amp. Would rather the headphone jack be down there…but you can’t have everything
smile.gif

- In an utterly silent listening environment, my Shadow exhibits a very slight background hiss through the UM3X even with volume zeroed (whether plugged or unplugged from source). I have to say, though, it is significantly less than that of my Tomahawk, even with the TH gain on Low—and, of course, way less than through the iPod headphone jack. So I’m very happy with the Shadow’s sound “floor.”

- In the same silent listening environment with UM3X, I have noticed my Shadow picks up a minor electronic interference when strapped to the back of the iPod. It’s a super-faint whine that sounds like maybe hard drive circuitry winding up and winding down occasionally, as I start the iPod or switch among tracks. I’ve carefully verified that it is not my ears picking up mechanical noise, and that it’s not coming through the LOD/input (can hear it in the IEMs when the LOD cable is disconnected). Volume setting has no effect. The Tomahawk does not exhibit such pickup at all.

I am not concerned about this—the interference is very faint, only occasional, and completely eliminated by sliding the Shadow from behind the touch wheel to behind the screen. But I’m glad to have found it now, before ordering a custom LOD cable—it will change my carrying configuration and required cable length. I’m curious to know if others notice the same phenomenon.

All told, I’m finding The Shadow to be a very nice product for SQ and for convenience of a long-haul bus commuter, overseas flier, and cubicle-dweller. Hats off and many thanks to RSA.

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #731 of 999
jUST RECEIVED from FEDEX!

sooo tiny....almost 1/2 the size of P51!!!!!!

UMM ,here comes the initial charging time..............[wait...wait...wait....]

Nov 2, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #732 of 999
Received My Shadow today in Sydney, Australia. This is very small Amp, like a small piece of chocolate.
Doing "burning in" now.
Initial impression is the imaging is is rock solid.
Needs Burn in. Out of the Box. It is a bit restrain sounding, like the Predator when it first play. But the imaging is the Best from my portable amps here I think. the SR-71a is still the most Smooth and silent like my Benchmark Pre.

Nov 2, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #735 of 999
Che15,

Log into your PayPal account on the PayPal website. Once logged in there is a tab that says "Send Money". If you need more help than that, I can't help you. You're on your own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back