Emmeline "The Shadow"
Oct 31, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #691 of 999
Hi,

I was feeding the shadow off of an Apogee Duet plugged via firewire into the same laptop. So, I guess, it can either charge or play off a laptop but not both at the same time. That's a pity as I had intended on using the Shadow that way. I wonder if there is a workaround. Please post if you have been able to successfully use a single laptop as source for both audio and power.

Oct 31, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #692 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by ac!d-rxn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Taking some photos now. Ill edit once I upload them.

I could be mistaken on the serial # if Ray doesn't do #000.
Mine literally reads "S000"

Since I made a note on my payment saying it would be awesome to get #000, I assumed that I lucked out and that the first character is an "S" for serial no. but I suppose it could be like a "5" ? You be the judge!

I could really care less about the serial - this thing has met my (almost) impossible expectations, so I am very very pleased either way.
ksc75smile.gif

PLEASE PARDON MY "GHETTO LOD - I made it as a "test run" before I use good components! Haha
tongue.gif

(btw- when I say "ghetto" I mean it! This is made of an ipod headphone mini plug, cat5 cable, and a dock connector from a broken ipod data cable)
shadow.jpg

shadow-serial.jpg

Sorry for the poor second photo, but I was using my phone and its no good close up!

Thanks for the photo. As you say, it truly is about the listening experience.

Oct 31, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #693 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardsean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I was feeding the shadow off of an Apogee Duet plugged via firewire into the same laptop. So, I guess, it can either charge or play off a laptop but not both at the same time. That's a pity as I had intended on using the Shadow that way. I wonder if there is a workaround. Please post if you have been able to successfully use a single laptop as source for both audio and power.

Hi edward, Macbook Pro, same story, I read on some of the other threads (not about the shadow, but in principle) that these interferences might have something to do with the ground for the usb/headphone out
confused_face_2.gif

however, with 60 h battery life.....there should be times inbetween listening for charging, or an additional plug for the "original" charger, about 34h burn in, and it sounds really big! It is way too good for walking around, you can not listen to appreciate the full greatness of the soundstage, as you see that you are actually not on stage....don't run into the oncoming lampost....

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #694 of 999
Just feeling a little strange that why some folks were given the track numbers for delivery, but some not...
confused.gif

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #695 of 999
Ray and his "elfs" must have send out several hundred of the babies....I got nothing, no tracking number or anything about the SN I wanted, just the Shadow, within 4 days over the pond with the preferred SN, charged ready to go.....I bet they are very busy and I know what I prefer.....I bet it is on the way and you can get a number if you ask him

Oct 31, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #696 of 999
Hi,

I'm about 30 or so hours in myself. The resolution, soundstage, and creamy mids are real stand outs so far. The only thing that's been of concern is the charging. Another thing I've noticed is that I plugged the unit in to charge for about 12 hours and the charging light never turned off. I don't know where else to post this question, but do I have a defective unit?

Oct 31, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #697 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManAtWork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just feeling a little strange that why some folks were given the track numbers for delivery, but some not...
confused.gif

I don't think anyone got a tracking #

Oct 31, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #698 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardsean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I'm about 30 or so hours in myself. The resolution, soundstage, and creamy mids are real stand outs so far. The only thing that's been of concern is the charging. Another thing I've noticed is that I plugged the unit in to charge for about 12 hours and the charging light never turned off. I don't know where else to post this question, but do I have a defective unit?

Are you charging it with the wall adapter or a computer? My Mac is an older laptop and doesn't put out the standard on the USB so charging is slower and often does not complete.

Oct 31, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #699 of 999
Hi,

I plugged it into the wall adapter. I'm not sure why the light never went off. After 12 hours I just unplugged it. I'm happily using it now, but wondering about the charging.

Oct 31, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #700 of 999
The only way I got my fedex tracking # was cause I called them. I'm an impatient bugger
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #701 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpyoldman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi edward, Macbook Pro, same story, I read on some of the other threads (not about the shadow, but in principle) that these interferences might have something to do with the ground for the usb/headphone out
confused_face_2.gif

however, with 60 h battery life.....there should be times inbetween listening for charging, or an additional plug for the "original" charger, about 34h burn in, and it sounds really big! It is way too good for walking around, you can not listen to appreciate the full greatness of the soundstage, as you see that you are actually not on stage....don't run into the oncoming lampost....

You are running into a grounding issue. I would not use the line out and charge from the same unit. With a 70 hour run time on the Shadow the 2 hour charge time should not be any issue.

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #702 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are running into a grounding issue. I would not use the line out and charge from the same unit. With a 70 hour run time on the Shadow the 2 hour charge time should not be any issue.

Edited post - I over reacted about the analog input messing up the split rail negative ground - apparently this was a known consideration and Ray made the decision to go for the best sound with longer battery life, rather than use capacitors that color the sound and allow it to charge/play audio on the same computer.

That was one of the reasons that he pushed the battery life to 75 hours, so that you would not have to charge it on the computer while listening via the same computer. And a $10 battery pack can charge the Shadow if you don't have a place to plug in the wall charger. I think in the long run, when given the choice between best sound, or charging on computer USB at the same time as listening to the computer, I would choose the improved sound.

Oct 31, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #703 of 999
You always want to keep grounds separate or in a non loop architecture if possible. That is nothing new. The T3 also can't be charged and played from the same configuration. With 70 hours of play time I don't see the issue or an issue.

Oct 31, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #704 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You always want to keep grounds separate or in a non loop architecture if possible. That is nothing new. The T3 also can't be charged and played from the same configuration. With 70 hours of play time I don't see the issue or an issue.

This is a nasty little issue.

Oct 31, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #705 of 999
This is no nasty issue. I have worked on and built electronics for years. The Shadow has a true positive and negative supply to the chips. If you now ground it to the same place you are taking the music from you mess up the ground. I would always prefer to use a battery for the power as it is the cleanest DC you can get. And you get 70 hours of run time with a charge time of around 2 hours. I don't see any issue at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back