Emmeline "The Shadow"
Nov 2, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #736 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdoi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i amped it thro headphone out of my netbook for burn in and it hissed as much as pink noises..

out of box battery ran out after 32 hours of continuous burning. its been 5hours since i started charging yet the red LED is still on. does that mean my battery is defected?

I don't think the battery is defective. I'm assuming that because it's a new battery, fully discharging will help condition it for its full potential. It's a good idea to fully discharge the battery a couple of times in order to get its full life. I've seen this with other devices.

I just ran into the same thing. I got around 42 hours. Initially mine only took 3-4 hours to charge off the wall. I'm going to discharge a couple of more times thru the burn in process and see if I get the 72 hours of play time Ray indicated before I ask him.

Nov 2, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #737 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm assuming that because it's a new battery, fully discharging will help condition it for its full potential. It's a good idea to fully discharge the battery a couple of times in order to get its full life. I've seen this with other devices.

Agreed, do this. Good call 4sound.

Nov 2, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #738 of 999
Quote:

I don't think the battery is defective. I'm assuming that because it's a new battery, fully discharging will help condition it for its full potential. It's a good idea to fully discharge the battery a couple of times in order to get its full life. I've seen this with other devices.

I just ran into the same thing. I got around 42 hours. Initially mine only took 3-4 hours to charge off the wall. I'm going to discharge a couple of more times thru the burn in process and see if I get the 72 hours of play time Ray indicated before I ask him.

ya i know that i was just stating it had that much energy in the battery before i needed to charge.
I always run out the battery of my laptop once a while(it suggested me to do so anyway).
i posted that because Ray stated the Shadow only needed 2hours of charge but i had mine on wall charger for like 6hours and the LED was still up.

Then i followed rays advise to charge it with USB... then i forgot to turn it off with it amping my netbooks headphone out for burning... my netbook hissed that means theres electricity running through the headphone jack..
no real damage was done from what i see/hear, but that scared the @#$% out of me.

Nov 2, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #739 of 999
Hi Ray,

I arrived today.Thank you.
ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 2, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #740 of 999
Congratulations!!

The Shadow arrived. I opend the package... "Where is The Shadow in this box?" This amp was very very smaller than I had imagined.
But, the sound from this amp is bold, not only transparent but also organic & very speedy with nice-bounding bass, in contrast to its very tiny size (first impression).
Now I have been listening to my favorite music with burn-in.
And Digital volume is simply enjoyable. I remember when I was a child I played with my favorite toys...

Mine is serial #007. This is the same number as the code name 007 of James Bond.
The image of spy is shadow in my mind and the number reminds me of him & his code name.
Therefore I'm very happy to get #007 Shadow.

Everyone who got & will get The Shadow! Let's enjoy this new work of art by Ray fully!!
beerchug.gif

To Ray & the staff at RSA,
Many Thanks!!
smile.gif

Nov 2, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #741 of 999
Gave a listen to this thing over the weekend thanks to a friend.

The set up was Rockboxed Ipod -> FLAC -> LOD -> Shadow -> UE10's.

IMHO, the Shadow was made for IEM's. I definitely need to spend more time with one before I write something solid. Based on the short amount of time I listened to the Shadow, I will say that the sound is great.

Nov 2, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #742 of 999
Quote:

I haven't received mine yet, so I don't know which type of battery is inside. Be aware that if this is a Li-Ion battery, fully discharging and recharging it is not recommended. This technique is only valid for batteries such as Ni-MH or Ni-Cd.
On a Li-Ion battery, it could damage it permanently if you fully discharge it, although today most Li-Ion batteries have internal circuitry preventing the battery to reach a full discharge.

Nov 2, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #743 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by fratus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't received mine yet, so I don't know which type of battery is inside. Be aware that if this is a Li-Ion battery, fully discharging and recharging it is not recommended. This technique is only valid for batteries such as Ni-MH or Ni-Cd.
On a Li-Ion battery, it could damage it permanently if you fully discharge it, although today most Li-Ion batteries have internal circuitry preventing the battery to reach a full discharge.

IIRC, the point of fully discharging (within the limits of the circuitry) and recharging resets the circuitry; if you keep recharging the battery from, say, half full, the circuitry may start to "think" that a half-charged battery, since thats the lowest the battery has ever been, means dead. Read this a long time ago on some forgotten website so I could be mis-quoting but that's the way I remember it.

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #744 of 999
You guys may want to find out what kind/type of battery it is. In the long run fully discharging a battery can be bad for it depending on what kind it is. You should always charge to full on the first cycle also.

Nov 2, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #745 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpalsm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC, the point of fully discharging (within the limits of the circuitry) and recharging resets the circuitry; if you keep recharging the battery from, say, half full, the circuitry may start to "think" that a half-charged battery, since thats the lowest the battery has ever been, means dead. Read this a long time ago on some forgotten website so I could be mis-quoting but that's the way I remember it.

That is an old technology.
Very few batteries today are memory based.

Shouldn't be a factor with the Shadow battery.

Nov 2, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #746 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by OPTiK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys may want to find out what kind/type of battery it is. In the long run fully discharging a battery can be bad for it depending on what kind it is. You should always charge to full on the first cycle also.

You can not fully discharge the battery. The battery has a protection circuit that monitors the voltage & the current in the Lithium ion, once it gets to the level that is designed to shut off, the circuitry will turn the battery off. It is the same circuitry that shuts off the charging current once the battery gets to a full charge.
Ray Samuels

Nov 2, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #748 of 999
I just got mine #177
normal_smile .gif

Was playing it strap behind my ipod classic and can heard faint electronic noise when the HDD spins up and down, taking it further away from the iPod eliminates this. Is this normal, picking up noise from the iPod?

My LOD is abit short so its hard to place it anywhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back