Emmeline "The Shadow"
Oct 31, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #706 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With 70 hours of play time I don't see the issue or an issue.

This is the conclusion I came to - not an issue.

I would, however, like to know if charging and playing from the same PC could cause damage to the Shadow.

Oct 31, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #707 of 999
Damn. People here are really hard to please
frown.gif

I bet it doesn't work in the bathtub either....

Oct 31, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #708 of 999
Dear friends....
The Shadow uses a dual power configuration instead of single supply.
I have written about this before, the advantage of the dual rail power is that you can design a great sounding circuitry with out the input & output caps in the signal path, having caps in the signal path will color the sound.

No one, & I mean no one, will amp the Headphone jack of a computer. Garbage in = amplified garbage out. You amplify the line out, If you so wish you can do so with out charging the amp from the same computer's USB. With 8 days at 8 hours per day of play back from a single charge why would you want the USB connected to the amp while playing the horrible signal quality from the headphone jack of the same computer?

All the positive impressions are because the Shadow is a very special amp, Dual rail of power with out the caps in the signal path,makes the Shadow shine.

There is nothing wrong with the design. It is meant to be that way & it was not a design flaw.
Ray Samuels

Oct 31, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #709 of 999
Quote:

This is no nasty issue. I have worked on and built electronics for years. The Shadow has a true positive and negative supply to the chips. If you now ground it to the same place you are taking the music from you mess up the ground. I would always prefer to use a battery for the power as it is the cleanest DC you can get. And you get 70 hours of run time with a charge time of around 2 hours. I don't see any issue at all.

Okay, I understand now. Sorry.

Nov 1, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #710 of 999
Hi,

I initially brought it up, and in a congenial spirit. I'm just wanting to be informed not complain. I wouldn't want to run the Shadow off my laptop headphone out either. However, I ran into the issue because the ground problem still occurs while using my laptop to feed my DAC, via firewire, which I think many people would do. I somewhat misunderstood the intention of providing a USB connector. If a design choice was made in deference to sound, I'm happy. The only reason why I ran into the problem was because it sounded so darn good I didn't want to get up to get to a plug. In the end though that is Ray's fault. There are no warnings about sonic addiction anywhere in the manual. In truth, I'm not sure if he even considered that his design might be too good. 70hrs straight and you'll lose your job and marriage.

My only remaining question is that my charge light did not go out even after 12 hours of being plugged into the supplied adapter. I'm just asking for some help.

Nov 1, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #711 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear friends....
The Shadow uses a dual power configuration instead of single supply.
I have written about this before, the advantage of the dual rail power is that you can design a great sounding circuitry with out the input & output caps in the signal path, having caps in the signal path will color the sound.

No one, & I mean no one, will amp the Headphone jack of a computer. Garbage in = amplified garbage out. You amplify the line out, If you so wish you can do so with out charging the amp from the same computer's USB. With 8 days at 8 hours per day of play back from a single charge why would you want the USB connected to the amp while playing the horrible signal quality from the headphone jack of the same computer?

All the positive impressions are because the Shadow is a very special amp, Dual rail of power with out the caps in the signal path,makes the Shadow shine.

There is nothing wrong with the design. It is meant to be that way & it was not a design flaw.
Ray Samuels

i amped it thro headphone out of my netbook for burn in and it hissed as much as pink noises..

out of box battery ran out after 32 hours of continuous burning. its been 5hours since i started charging yet the red LED is still on. does that mean my battery is defected?

Nov 1, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #712 of 999
Quote:

This is no nasty issue. I have worked on and built electronics for years. The Shadow has a true positive and negative supply to the chips. If you now ground it to the same place you are taking the music from you mess up the ground. I would always prefer to use a battery for the power as it is the cleanest DC you can get. And you get 70 hours of run time with a charge time of around 2 hours. I don't see any issue at all.

Ray is probably in a better position to comment. He's the designer and manufacturer.

Nov 1, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #713 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdoi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i amped it thro headphone out of my netbook for burn in and it hissed as much as pink noises..

out of box battery ran out after 32 hours of continuous burning. its been 5hours since i started charging yet the red LED is still on. does that mean my battery is defected?

When you get your new Shadow, it comes with the battery that has not been charged. The battery has little charge in it at the time when it was manufactured. Please charge it over night with the Shadow on/off switch in the off position. Charging The Shadow with the computer's USB,
which has around 500ma max output current, is going to take a little longer time, because the Shadow's circuitry is designed to charge at a slower rate so it won't stress the output current of the USB.
Charging the amp & playing it at the same time is going to take a longer time for the red LED to shut off.
Ray Samuels

Nov 1, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #714 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you get your new Shadow, it comes with the battery that has not been charged. The battery has little charge in it at the time when it was manufactured. Please charge it over night with the Shadow on/off switch in the off position. Charging The Shadow with the computer's USB,
which has around 500ma max output current, is going to take a little longer time, because the Shadow's circuitry is designed to charge at a slower rate so it won't stress the output current of the USB.
Charging the amp & playing it at the same time is going to take a longer time for the red LED to shut off.
Ray Samuels

Okay thanks. Whats the output for the wall charger anyway. I had the shadow plugged with wall charger for 5hours and it was off too :\

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #716 of 999
Mr Samuels I will love to make a paypal payment asap, how do we do it?

Nov 1, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #718 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdoi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

IME , If the amp is on while charging the light might not go out.

Leave the charger connected , turn off the amp then on again. When I did this the charge light went out, indicating a full charge.

Nov 1, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #719 of 999
My praise might not be worth a lot (as I am not sooo experienced, I do have ears though), but I have to say it is an amazing amp, still burning in, so it will only get better.

I followed this thread for a while, and it was not clear to me that you can not charge and listen to/from the same PC, no big deal, if you know....you would stop doing it anyway, because it sounds awful .....however, i did this over night....for the burn in, so I am pretty sure it did not damage any of the units concerned (no flames, no changed functions, no blown up battery) but I am not soo sure it could not cause damage, and would like to know, but you are absolutely right, give the man (and his team) a rest.

They have produced (and send at record speed all over the world!) a lovely amp, with a really amazing formfactor (I like the dimensions, shape, proportions and get used to the digital volume control, no problem at all).

It is exactly what I (and many IEM users) need (did I want to write "want"?), plus it can drive some "grown up" cans as well. It is a brilliant design feature that the volume jumps back to 0 every time, it can blow your ears off (as I found out messing around with loads of cables....)
Unfortunately, it will be the last amp I get from RSA in a while.
frown.gif
.....as I am sure I will be happy with this one till a new milestone (and lottery win) comes along
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back