Eminem retiring
Jul 16, 2005 at 7:13 AM Post #16 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga
Encore was half-assed slag

Marshall Mathers LP...

4 albums later

Have I lost my ability to count or did I miss when this guy released half his albums? Because the website says he has made 8 albums since 1999. You say "4 albums later" from MMLP, but I thought it was just 2: The Eminem Show and Encore. Total albums since 1999: SSLP, MMLP, Eminem Show, and Encore. Other album is Infinite done when he was 18 or so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xixco
wow, lotta love in this thread

This is pretty much the wrong web forum to bother discussing hip hop.

I'm actually disturbed by this announcement though because I don't like where his production style has been going. It's more annoying than his rapping is right now.

Jul 16, 2005 at 7:41 AM Post #17 of 69
Good riddance. He's always been a sad joke of an 'artist' in my eyes. I detest almost everything about him. I LOVE good hip hop (or at least underground, that's where it's at), probably more so than any other genre, but Eminem and his cronies have always sickened me. That lousy talentless bumb won't be missed, I hope...

And yeah, it is kind of a bummer we can't have decent hip hop discussion on this board. But then again, I'd probably be as much against it as a genre if all I heard was the garbage they play on the radio/MTV. Too bad the quality stuff that's out there, that doesn't involve being all gangsta gangsta bling bling, doesn't get the exposure it deserves.

Jul 16, 2005 at 11:49 AM Post #18 of 69
He doesn't even need to rap to make money anymore. His label is way too successful to ever stop making him even richer, as you notice in the charts around the world, having 50 Cent on n°1 everywhere.

Jul 16, 2005 at 11:52 AM Post #19 of 69
i must say that marshall mathers lp was his greatest album, and imo stands as one the best rap albums ever.

I believe he went a little down hill since that album because he produced the majority of his work on the other albums, which i will unfortunatly say, eminem is not a very good producer. Dr Dre was the catalyst in his success and when he and eminem slowed down working with each other, the half decent albums were the products. Eminem has not really found huge amounts of talents on his own, namely "obie trice" who i thought was a lump of s**t.

But i wish all the best to eminem as he does, imo, stand as the best rapper ever behind tupac.

Jul 16, 2005 at 12:13 PM Post #21 of 69
I truly enjoyed the Marshall Mathers LP and still do occasionally but imo he has long passed his musical eclipse by now, partly because he ran out of topics to talk about and mentioning the same recurring issues all over again just didn't cut it.

While I think that Eminem was not as good as a Mos Def or The Roots, I still enjoyed his music very much. I think he was a well-accomplished musician and retiring at the commercial height of his career is probably not a bad idea at all.

Before talking about a comebackback tour, which is quite possible given the amount of money he could raise, I'd rather give him the benefit of doubt.

Also, I'm not sure what kind damage he was supposed to have inflicted but personally speaking, I rather gained from listening to his music and be it for musical pleasure alone.

Jul 16, 2005 at 12:44 PM Post #22 of 69
Thanks Em, it's about time.
I consider The Slim Shady LP and The Marshall Mathers LP truely great albums. Creative, witty, violent, funny, touching, disgusting, excellent storytelling. Everything after just got worse and worse.
Maybe he can come back in a few years after some mediatation about what made his music good while it was, before all he did was promoting talentless "rappers" who cannot get their teeth apart.

Time for some Jedi Mind Tricks now.

Jul 16, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #23 of 69
The Slim Shady LP had some good stuff on it, Marshall Mathers LP wasn't as good but still had a few good tracks, everything after that was just not good. This is probably a good decision.

Jul 16, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #26 of 69
Only rap (and maybe country) gets the 'I don't care for it' blanket genre dismissal (usually in the name of 'taste' or 'quality', but likely because of laziness in exploration). It's fine and all (no one has to like everything), but when you guys are tossing the net that large you're aware it says a lot about you and almost nothing about it, right?

In the distant past I worked at a series of record stores and I was always amazed at the comments. After a customer tossed out hating all rap, etc. they usually said they don't make music like ELO, Journey, etc. anymore. Ugh.

Claim music has sucked since the mid-17th century, or Coltrane was the last master, or all amplified music is inherently false, and I'll have respect for ya. Rip on rap (or its sub-genres) and then rave about rock (or its) and I don't get it. It's all 'POP[size=xx-small]uler[/size] music'.

Jul 16, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #27 of 69
^^^Sorry, but if you're saying that all semi-current music that's not jazz or classical is 'Pop', I heartily disagree.

Edit: On second reading I'm not at all sure you're saying that.... but still not sure really.

Jul 16, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #28 of 69
All current music isn't pop. Then again all 'Pop' is not pop. But most current music discussed on this forum is popular music in the same way that some Jazz and some now generally termed Classical music was. Am I advocating only listening to Jazz and Classical? No (though if that was someone elses argument at least it would make some sense). But I meant to address (perhaps not clearly) a general criticism of rap (and the sub-genres) that it has no quality. Usually this revolves around it being 'lame' or 'simple'. Some person talking with a mic and beat. So Missy Elliot seems not complex compared to the Beatles arrangements. Maybe. But how does the Beatles stack up to Bill Evans? How does Evans stack up to Aaron Copland? Lyrics? Eminem is no Lou Reed? Is Reed a Cole Porter or Ira/George Gershwin? And that's only Western Music.

Just saying when one dismisses in whole an entire couple decade old genre (and I was bringing in general criticisms there), and then discuss at length music which has only been around a few decades earlier (and not significantly more complex - from other periods outlook), perspective is important. An argument (I wouldn't be willing to make) is only about twice as hard to make dismissing rock and rap as rap alone. And I bring up rock mostly because it seems to be the fave genre of the rap bashers. And most unbelievable is that historically established punk is somehow okay. That's not a good sign.

Jul 16, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #29 of 69
I can understand it if you don't care for that kind of music, but you guys seem to hate him with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns.

I don't get it. So you don't like rap. I don't like country, but I don't hate them for making their kind of music.

Maybe I'm just mellowing in my relative old age ?

rolleyes.gif

-jar

Jul 16, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #30 of 69
*Prays for Metallica to follow Eminem's lead*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back