Eminem retiring
Jul 18, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #61 of 69
viator, gotcha and most discussions about hip hop start because of statements like "hip hop sucks" anyway.
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #62 of 69
I didn't own any of he's music but from what I've listened to and seen on TV he is both a talented musical artist and actor.
I still think this is a Chappelle-esk publicity stunt. I don't think he is going anywhere.

He was a bit too bubble gum rap for my taste. Thats why I still listen to my last generation NWA/Eazy-E and 2 Live Crew albums.

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #63 of 69
Why is it that anytime any mention of even one solitary hip-hop performer is concerned, the whole bandwagon of supporters jumps in? I've seen plenty of threads here and in other forums bashing the vast majority of my musical preferences, yet strangely never felt the pressing need to defend it or myself for liking it. Why? Because I never really cared what anyone else thought, and I also fully realize my opinion is no better or worse than the next. The loser is retiring (can't believe I actually typed that word in this case), many didn't like him and many of his ilk. If you do, whoop-dee-doo and all that, too. Listen to his albums (in the peace and quiet of a closed room, or with closed headphones at low volume
tongue.gif
), and enjoy.

Furthermore, the assumption that one who dislikes hip-hop because they've never heard "good" hip-hop (sorta like saying somewhere in this world pigs do, in fact, and quite often, fly), is just as ignorant as you believe the opinion of a hip-hop hater is. If I hear one more person tell me I hate the genre because I've never heard The Roots, Talib Kweli, the Wu-Tang Clan and the rest of usual suspects, I will visit them one day at their home with my best friend's hip-hop collection and shove it you know where... Learn to deal with the fact that most people in this world (as applies to all genres) will not like a particular genre of music, simply because they don't and never will.

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #64 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rempert
I didn't know that computers and HD650 were standard equipment for living in ghettos.
biggrin.gif

If a 6 year-old kid is listening to rap or rock or any other kind of music, and the parents aren't picking and screening the songs, that's a problem. It's poor parenting. Parents have to constantly deal with negative media influences like Elvis, Dungeons and Dragons, Led Zepelin, Bart Simpson, Clint Eastwood, Madonna, Grand Theft Auto, Nightmare on Elm Street, Johnny Cash, Britney Spears... Maybe the media has gotten worse over time; I don't know. It's silly to single out rap music, in any case. The ghettos don't exist because of gangsta rap; gangsta rap exists because of the ghettos.

Of all the controversial media stars, few have addressed this issue as directly through their work as Eminem has. In his songs, he constantly blasts fans for taking his work seriously, he labels critics as hypocrites for holding him to a different standard than black rappers, he warns of the consequences of bad parenting, and in one song he even says "I don't blame you. I wouldn't let Hailie listen to me, neither."

hit the nail on the head with that one...
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #65 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLP
Have I lost my ability to count or did I miss when this guy released half his albums? Because the website says he has made 8 albums since 1999. You say "4 albums later" from MMLP, but I thought it was just 2: The Eminem Show and Encore. Total albums since 1999: SSLP, MMLP, Eminem Show, and Encore. Other album is Infinite done when he was 18 or so.

yeah, i didnt configure my timings properly; 4 solo albums + infinite + slimshady ep + 8 mile soundtrack + 2 D12 Albums

entire thing should have been reworded, sorry

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #66 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
Learn to deal with the fact that most people in this world (as applies to all genres) will not like a particular genre of music, simply because they don't and never will.

So... should you should learn to deal with the fact that some people won't learn to deal with the fact that most people...?
wink.gif

Also "I don't like it" does not equal "sucks". May be a miscommunication here, but if people can't separate their personal interests from the quality of the subject at hand, they should learn a bit about language and rein in the ego a little. I don't like lasagna. Lasagna doesn't suck.

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #67 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
I don't like lasagna. Lasagna doesn't suck.

Ah, but it does, it sucks to you, which is what the phrase implies, right? When I say something sucks, I'm really just giving my opinion.

Jul 19, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #68 of 69
If it's all 'just your opinion' then a great deal of public dialog becomes useless.

Unless you're making me dinner, do you care if I don't like lasagna? I certainly could care less if you think 'War of the Worlds sucks' or 'rap isn't music' unless I suspect you're arguing something of greater worth than just an opinion.

Chatting among close friends may be one thing, but arguing a genres worth on a public forum is another isn't it?

Jul 19, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #69 of 69
Hey, if I'm the one making dinner, I definitely don't care what you like.
wink.gif

Quote:

I certainly could care less if you think 'War of the Worlds sucks' or 'rap isn't music' unless I suspect you're arguing something of greater worth than just an opinion.

Sure, because if someone's making useful conversation, they'll say, "Classical music sucks because..," which is really the same as saying, "I don't like classical music because..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back