Elysian Annihilator 2023
Sep 6, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #76 of 877
I believe you, I have already read this from others, but the soundstage/imaging/layering area has top priority for me. If it is lacking, I already have a dealbreaker. Therefore, I would not buy Anni blind.
I think you may like Crimson. It's worth a demo I imagine.

Sep 6, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #77 of 877
The Symbio W's arrived. They're great for the Anni.

I can tell there's a bit of treble roll-off, but it's a good thing for longer listening.

Isolation was great for me. Most importantly, they don't feel like foam tips which I generally dislike.

P.S. My mousepad just happened to be orange. :laughing:

These look different compared to the symbio W’s I have? Can I ask where you got them from?

Sep 6, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #78 of 877
Sep 6, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #79 of 877
Great review, thank you for that.

I was very interested in Anni, but after reading this …

"DETAIL AND IMAGING
The Annihilator’s soundstage is quite wide but has average height and depth. Imaging is pretty accurate but it’s not a standout quality at $3000.
The Annihilator is easily out-imaged by the U12t and the new Symphonium Crimson which are significantly less expensive at $2000 and $1500, respectively."

... unfortunately I changed my mind and deleted from my wishlist. What a pity!
Can't say I agree with that statement about it being easily out-imaged by U12t. I haven't heard Crimson so I cant comment on that though.

The thing with Annihilator is that its stage is width-oriented, so you wont get the same type of solid centre-image note depth that you get from U12t. But in terms of note placement within its stage, I find Anni to be quite sharp and pinpoint.

The other thing to factor in is that Anni is far more source picky and power hungry than U12t, therefore it will scale up further than U12t in my experience. If you feed Anni with a high quality source and amp, you'll get a far better technical performance. Whereas U12t will sound pretty similar whether driven out of a desktop amp or an Apple Dongle.

YMMV of course. :)

Sep 6, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #80 of 877
Like $3000 :grimacing:

But seriously, I wrote a review on it:
https://smirkreviews.com/2023/07/13/elysian-annihilator-2023-review-treble-titan/

Hope this helps.
Great review! I went into it thinking I should start saving more into my "treat yoself" IEM budget..
..but I came out of it thinking I may really enjoy the Crimson at half the cost of the Anni!

I also noticed that in your IEM Ranking List, you like the bass on the Crimson more than on the Singularity.. interesting :)

Sep 6, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #81 of 877
Great review! I went into it thinking I should start saving more into my "treat yoself" IEM budget..
..but I came out of it thinking I may really enjoy the Crimson at half the cost of the Anni!

I also noticed that in your IEM Ranking List, you like the bass on the Crimson more than on the Singularity.. interesting :)
They’re very similar and the list is very fluid. I initially had Singularity bass higher but they’re about equal to me.

Sep 6, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #82 of 877
Can't say I agree with that statement about it being easily out-imaged by U12t. I haven't heard Crimson so I cant comment on that though.

The thing with Annihilator is that its stage is width-oriented, so you wont get the same type of solid centre-image note depth that you get from U12t. But in terms of note placement within its stage, I find Anni to be quite sharp and pinpoint.

The other thing to factor in is that Anni is far more source picky and power hungry than U12t, therefore it will scale up further than U12t in my experience. If you feed Anni with a high quality source and amp, you'll get a far better technical performance. Whereas U12t will sound pretty similar whether driven out of a desktop amp or an Apple Dongle.

YMMV of course. :)
Good points. Agree to disagree on the imaging. Anni does have good stage width. What I noticed with U12t’s imaging is that I get more precise imaging on the lateral edges of the stage as well, not just the center. Ymmv.

As for sources, I think U12t is intended not to be source picky by design with its LID technology. I drove Anni with plenty of power/quality with the Mass-Kobo 475 and the RS6/Mojo 2. I’m sure it scales further with proper desktop sources as well.

Sep 7, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #83 of 877
Great review, thank you for that.

I was very interested in Anni, but after reading this …

"DETAIL AND IMAGING
The Annihilator’s soundstage is quite wide but has average height and depth. Imaging is pretty accurate but it’s not a standout quality at $3000.
The Annihilator is easily out-imaged by the U12t and the new Symphonium Crimson which are significantly less expensive at $2000 and $1500, respectively."

... unfortunately I changed my mind and deleted from my wishlist. What a pity!
I think it would be worthwhile getting a demo if that is at all possible and see what you think yourself.

I had read reviews, and had definite preconceived ideas about the Annihilator 2023 and it was about the furthest distance away from any IEM I ever wanted to try. In fact if I literally made a list of every IEM I wanted to test the Anni would have been right at the very bottom of that list.

Then by pure chance at Canjam, while waiting to listen to the Diva, I found myself sitting right next to the Anni. Literally to waste time while I was waiting for the Diva I decided to give the Anni a try. Then WOW! I was totally blown away! One of the biggest wow moments I think I’ve ever had in this hobby.

So much for my preconceived ideas!

Sep 8, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #84 of 877
I had read reviews, and had definite preconceived ideas about the Annihilator 2023 and it was about the furthest distance away from any IEM I ever wanted to try. In fact if I literally made a list of every IEM I wanted to test the Anni would have been right at the very bottom of that list.
Same for me, but I tried the Anni as the first IEM so, at the end of my first CanJam, I doubted that my memories of the Anni's quality and uniqueness was only excitement.
So I decided to have another try and... BOOM! Same magic as the first time, same amazing experience. And now I am just looking forward for my pre-order to become order :D

About the imaging, I don't think that Anni is a step back than U12t, but the opposite. But maybe are only my ears.

Just for records, I tried all the IEMs with my iFi Gryphon and the Sedna Earfit Xelastec tips (my usual tips with the Monarch OG).

@phiemon: you should try the Anni by yourself before decide to buy anything else. And if you can, have a try on Kinera Loki Imperial too, they were my second choice after the Anni and could be the right fit for you.

Sep 8, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #85 of 877
Same for me, but I tried the Anni as the first IEM so, at the end of my first CanJam, I doubted that my memories of the Anni's quality and uniqueness was only excitement.
So I decided to have another try and... BOOM! Same magic as the first time, same amazing experience. And now I am just looking forward for my pre-order to become order :D

About the imaging, I don't think that Anni is a step back than U12t, but the opposite. But maybe are only my ears.

Just for records, I tried all the IEMs with my iFi Gryphon and the Sedna Earfit Xelastec tips (my usual tips with the Monarch OG).

@phiemon: you should try the Anni by yourself before decide to buy anything else. And if you can, have a try on Kinera Loki Imperial too, they were my second choice after the Anni and could be the right fit for you.
Congrats on your Anni purchase. It's a great IEM no doubt, I enjoy mine quite a bit.

Regarding the imaging, real question: have you heard Anni outside of a show and/or tried an A/B between it and U12t?

Since two people have said Anni images better, I assumed I was wrong and re-listened. I'm hearing U12t's imaging to be more precise and to have a wider soundstage at that.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #86 of 877
Congrats on your Anni purchase. It's a great IEM no doubt, I enjoy mine quite a bit.

Regarding the imaging, real question: have you heard Anni outside of a show and/or tried an A/B between it and U12t?

Since two people have said Anni images better, I assumed I was wrong and re-listened. I'm hearing U12t's imaging to be more precise.
I heard both Anni and U12t at the show, first I visited the Elyse Audio stand and just after the 64audio one, where I tried U12t, Triò and Fourte (all with same equipment and same test playlist). The Fourte were my favourite of the three (at 64audio stand), but the treble were too harsh for me and I thought they'd be fatiguing for long listening session. But I always preferred the Anni for all their features.

Before going to the show I thought that the U12t were the IEMs for me, but the Anni changed and blew my mind.

Sep 8, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #87 of 877
I heard both Anni and U12t at the show, first I visited the Elyse Audio stand and just after the 64audio one, where I tried U12t, Triò and Fourte (all with same equipment and same test playlist). The Fourte were my favourite of the three (at 64audio stand), but the treble were too harsh for me and I thought they'd be fatiguing for long listening session. But I always preferred the Anni for all their features.

Before going to the show I thought that the U12t were the IEMs for me, but the Anni changed and blew my mind.
Good to know. Agree to disagree on the imaging then.

I understand liking Anni over U12t (I also prefer Anni) and enjoying it at the show. It's definitely a show floor monster with its tuning and big presentation. Imaging is another story altogether but I respect your viewpoint.

Hope your Anni arrives soon :)

Sep 8, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #88 of 877
Good to know. Agree to disagree on the imaging then.

I understand liking Anni over U12t (I also prefer Anni) and enjoying it at the show. It's definitely a show floor monster with its tuning and big presentation. Imaging is another story altogether but I respect your viewpoint.

Hope your Anni arrives soon :)
In my defense :ksc75smile: I can say that I was one of the first people to enter the show, so there still were a quite environment.

At the end of my IEMs tour I wanted to try some open HP, but it was impossible to appreciate them because of the hubbub, so I sadly left the show before the end.

Sep 8, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #89 of 877
In my defense :ksc75smile: I can say that I was one of the first people to enter the show, so there still were a quite environment.

At the end of my IEMs tour I wanted to try some open HP, but it was impossible to appreciate them because of the hubbub, so I sadly left the show before the end.
No need to defend, you heard what you heard. I hope you had a great experience at CJ :)

Sep 8, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #90 of 877
No need to defend, you heard what you heard. I hope you had a great experience at CJ :)
I was only joking :)
Yes, I had an amazing experience at CJ. I hope to do it again in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

• FPFi
Back