Elysian Annihilator 2023
Mar 8, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #541 of 802
Mar 8, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #542 of 802
Does anyone have both the Fir Radon 6 and 2023 Anni and can help compare the two? I'm trying to choose between the two and am curious what everyone thinks on sound and comfort as well
I had the RN6 in house for a couple weeks and own the Anni23 of course. They are definitely both great IEM's, but one is higher res than the other whilst the other has a more versatile tuning in some ways and more daily fitment.

What kind of music and gear are you sourcing for the IEM, those are the main points to take into consideration. From there I can give you my thoughts.

Rn6:
- much better quality bass (sorry, no contest here). Anni has in comparison very little subbass and much stronger midbass with less decay.
- mids not as forward, but more analogical sounding. Anni's mids are very forward and polite (not grainy, if you know what I mean) in comparison.
- less treble extension and quality (who is surprised?)
- much wider stage with more air and holography and general microdynamics. Anni is thicker sounding, it has more macrodynamics.
- warmer, colored and analogical, better (fantastic!) coherency and it sounds more correct. See here too for reference: https://www.headfonia.com/elysian-acoustic-labs-annihilator-2023-review/3/#:~:text=The RN6 reminds me of,day, the RN6 is better. "The RN6 has a wider soundstage, more correct timbre and better coherency. The RN6 reminds me of the single dynamic driver monitors since its cohesiveness is fantastic. It just flows, flows and flows. The Annihilator has a better treble, a more vivid presentation and more sub-bass rumble. If you’re looking for an IEM that you can listen to all day, the RN6 is better". Anni is brighter and more fatiguing.
- better resolution, for me it's a fact, mainly because of the bass, mids and stage. I simply notice more texture. Anni is sharper, wilder, sometime uncontrolled, it's very fun and it makes you dance. It's true that the details are more in your face, but I still miss the overall nuances of the Rn6.

I know your opinion and still looking for people who share it ;D
No problem, I'm not here to convince anyone of my opinion, nor am I looking for supporters :beerchug:

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #543 of 802
I am always curious why people can experience same IEMs so different, my suspicion is, its the different genres we listen to. Thats why I am wondering, if anyone experienced Anni lower res than Rn6 like you did :)

When I comapred both, Anni was a clear winner for me. Not just in regard of resolution. But I am quickly bored by an overly safe tuning, so I know I am bit biased towards Rn6 which yes, sounded bit boring to my ear. Great IEM nevertheless, with fantastic balance, it does many things right, but I certainly wouldnt buy it.

Anni was considerably more detailed with probably best treble I ever heard in an IEM, had more remarkable treble, initimate mesmerizing mids (not Mentor or Traillii level but still very high up there) fuller bass and had very fun energetic, but none-fatiguing tuning. I still have trouble wrapping my head around how this package comes together but it does in a very unique way.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #544 of 802
I am always curious why people can experience same IEMs so different, my suspicion is, its the different genres we listen to. Thats why I am wondering, if anyone experienced Anni lower res than Rn6 like you did :)

When I comapred both, Anni was a clear winner for me. Not just in regard of resolution. But I am quickly bored by an overly safe tuning, so I know I am bit biased towards Rn6 which yes, sounded bit boring to my ear. Great IEM nevertheless, with fantastic balance, it does many things right, but I certainly wouldnt buy it.

Anni was considerably more detailed with probably best treble I ever heard in an IEM, had more remarkable treble, initimate mesmerizing mids (not Mentor or Traillii level but still very high up there) fuller bass and had very fun energetic, but none-fatiguing tuning. I still have trouble wrapping my head around how this package comes together but it does in a very unique way.
This certainly has a lot to do with the source, tips, modules on the Rn6 and music. I mainly listen to electronic music and derivatives. When I had the SP3000 CU, I was very close to selling the Rn6. I was just waiting to have a moment to do it. But in the meantime I had received the N30 and since I have it, I would even say that the Rn6 is the IEM I would definitely buy if I had to have only one IEM. It sounds completely different on the N30, much, much better for me. The most glaring difference was that it was thinner sounding with the SP3000 CU, way too energetic on top and the soundstage was pretty small. By the way: Mentor's stage was also not that special with the SP3000 CU, for example. With the N30, on the other hand, Mentor's stage is immense, I've never heard anything like it and honestly I miss it a lot. Anni also sounded different on the DX320MaxTi vs. the N30. I remember the comparatively very poorly defined, digitally sounding bass, the mids were recessed, but the treble was better in terms of quality and extension. As always, synergy is extremely important. Have I already mentioned how much I like the organic and warm sound of the... Apple Audio USB-C dongle on the PC (not on the iPhone!!)?

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #545 of 802

When I comapred both, Anni was a clear winner for me. But I am quickly bored by an overly safe tuning, so I know I am bit biased towards Rn6 which yes, sounded bit boring to my ear. Great IEM nevertheless, with fantastic balance which does many things right, but I certainly wouldnt buy it.

This is a great summary that I agree with pretty much 100%.

Rn6 is a fantastic IEM that does most things very very well, but in a much more controlled, "safe" kind of way. I can't help but feel that FiR saw some of the feedback on Xe6, and decided to dial it down and do something much more correct.

My main issue with Rn6 is that it lacks a lot of the warmth that I crave, and that Anni delivers in spades. Anni is a much more engaging, lean-forward kind of listen that grabs my attention and doesn't let go.

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #546 of 802
Very helpful companions - thanks all! What DAP parings do you like with the Anni? I'm looking to move from my Mojo 2 setup to a DAP + either the Anni or Rn6 (although I'm leaning towards the Anni based on what I'm seeing here).

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #547 of 802
This is a great summary that I agree with pretty much 100%.

Rn6 is a fantastic IEM that does most things very very well, but in a much more controlled, "safe" kind of way. I can't help but feel that FiR saw some of the feedback on Xe6, and decided to dial it down and do something much more correct.

My main issue with Rn6 is that it lacks a lot of the warmth that I crave, and that Anni delivers in spades. Anni is a much more engaging, lean-forward kind of listen that grabs my attention and doesn't let go.
Here is another example of the perceived differences: for me, the Rn6 is clearly warmer and more colored than Anni (this is also stated in the Headfonia's test), while you write that Anni is warmer. I could never say that.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #548 of 802
This certainly has a lot to do with the source, tips, modules on the Rn6 and music. I mainly listen to electronic music and derivatives. When I had the SP3000 CU, I was very close to selling the Rn6. I was just waiting to have a moment to do it. But in the meantime I had received the N30 and since I have it, I would even say that the Rn6 is the IEM I would definitely buy if I had to have only one IEM. It sounds completely different on the N30, much, much better for me. The most glaring difference was that it was thinner sounding with the SP3000 CU, way too energetic on top and the soundstage was pretty small. By the way: Mentor's stage was also not that special with the SP3000 CU, for example. With the N30, on the other hand, Mentor's stage is immense, I've never heard anything like it and honestly I miss it a lot. Anni also sounded different on the DX320MaxTi vs. the N30. I remember the comparatively very poorly defined, digitally sounding bass, the mids were recessed, but the treble was better in terms of quality and extension. As always, synergy is extremely important. Have I already mentioned how much I like the organic and warm sound of the... Apple Audio USB-C dongle on the PC (not on the iPhone!!)?
I usually A/B the IEMs on a powerful desktop source first to exclude the possibility of underpowering it, then on a DAP. Anni shines on Holo Bliss btw, it really likes the additional power, have to try it on my new Envy ;D

I never could get into SP3000, it was somewhat unremarkable? Especially after Dx320 Max. Had a loaner unit from a friend around since I really was considering getting it, happy I got Cayin N8ii instead.

Yeah man, I suspect the genres we listen to play the most important part here. Electronic music (and most of it is experimental fusion) is just 10% of my playlist. Most of the stuff is jazz, rock, stoner, bluegrass, folk, classical and other experimental / fusion rock and metal. So mostly "real" instruments and vocals are involved where Anni 23 treble remains unmatatched imho and the strengths like full bass, beautiful bit warm lush mids and the sheer energy come to shine. Quite possible I would enjoy Rn6 more with its more spherical 3d stage and the calm inoffensive neutral tuning with electronic music like edm.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #549 of 802
Curious questions: why is the stainless steel version rarely found here? is it because the Ti version is around?
I have Ti version but I think I like SS look the most. Would need to see them in person to confirm, but I really like the look.

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #550 of 802
With Anni, it's the first time I've said I'll never sell these. Why also, for me they do everything right and most of all it's a lot of fun with them. And that's what music is all about.. not dissecting, but having fun! When I start listening I get lost and I can't stop. That's what these iems are about! I think that's exactly why it's a unicorn for many users.. When I listen to them, I don't need to rate them, I just enjoy..

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #551 of 802
I usually A/B the IEMs on a powerful desktop source first to exclude the possibility of underpowering it, then on a DAP. Anni shines on Holo Bliss btw, it really likes the additional power, have to try it on my new Envy ;D

I never could get into SP3000, it was somewhat unremarkable? Especially after Dx320 Max. Had a loaner unit from a friend around since I really was considering getting it, happy I got Cayin N8ii instead.

Yeah man, I suspect the genres we listen to play the most important part here. Electronic music (and most of it is experimental fusion) is just 10% of my playlist. Most of the stuff is jazz, rock, stoner, bluegrass, folk, classical and other experimental / fusion rock and metal. So mostly "real" instruments and vocals are involved where Anni 23 treble remains unmatatched imho and the strengths like full bass, beautiful bit warm lush mids and the sheer energy come to shine. Quite possible I would enjoy Rn6 more with its more spherical 3d stage and the calm inoffensive neutral tuning with electronic music like edm.
It is quite clear that Anni scales up accordingly with a stronger AMP. Your Bliss is of course much more powerful than the N30, so I wouldn't be surprised if the extra power also makes the resolution higher than any other IEM mentioned in the comparison so far. As I said, the difference between the SP3000 CU and N30 alone has been clear. I can't imagine how the Bliss could be much better in certain areas. It would have been interesting to see if you would still feel the same way about Anni if you had made the comparisons with the N8ii instead.

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #552 of 802
The difference a proper amp stage and adequate power makes. The SP2000/3000 have a detailed top end DAC but as IEMs become harder to drive, require a portable amp to sound their best with some iem

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #553 of 802
Very helpful companions - thanks all! What DAP parings do you like with the Anni? I'm looking to move from my Mojo 2 setup to a DAP + either the Anni or Rn6 (although I'm leaning towards the Anni based on what I'm seeing here).
You are in Anni thread, most people here who had to decide between both IEMs chose the Annihilator, so there will be some bias.

What’s your budget for the dap? What are your preferences? Do you want to stream, do you need anderoid, do you prefer analytical sound, lush wet tuby o analog timbre, how important is portability?
It is quite clear that Anni scales up accordingly with a stronger AMP. Your Bliss is of course much more powerful than the N30, so I wouldn't be surprised if the extra power also makes the resolution higher than any other IEM mentioned in the comparison so far. As I said, the difference between the SP3000 CU and N30 alone has been clear. I can't imagine how the Bliss could be much better in certain areas. It would have been interesting to see if you would still feel the same way about Anni if you had made the comparisons with the N8ii instead.
I use Anni with the dap 99% of the time, used Bliss only to see if I am underpowering Anni / Rn6 with N8ii, it’s really not the case.

It’s more resolving to my ear than Rn6 on N8ii just as well.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #554 of 802
You are in Anni thread, most people here who had to decide between both IEMs chose the Annihilator, so there will be some bias.

What’s your budget for the dap? What are your preferences? Do you want to stream, do you need anderoid, do you prefer analytical sound, lush wet tuby o analog timbre, how important is portability?

I use Anni with the dap 99% of the time, used Bliss only to see if I am underpowering Anni / Rn6 with N8ii, it’s really not the case.

I enjoy it with Cayin N7. Resolves very nicely. I'm looking to upgrade so if anyone wants a great deal on the N7 PM me. :wink:

Mar 8, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #555 of 802

Budget is flexible, was hoping to keep it around $2000, but could go higher if it makes sense. I stream a lot so definitely need support for that and I prefer a warm engaging/fun sound and not as analytical/reference. Doesn’t need to be super portable, mostly for home use

Users who are viewing this thread

Back