Elysian Annihilator 2023
Jan 30, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #511 of 802
Jan 30, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #512 of 802
Jan 30, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #513 of 802
I really liked the Minerva with the Annihilator. Similar to slightly better performance compared to the Martini and the ergonomics of the Minerva are fantastic.
Nice, thanks for the feedback. Looking forward to trying it out. I've seen a few folks say they find Martini to give Anni a slightly bloated, midbass focused low end. Curious if I'll hear any difference in presentation when I do get a chance to try some other cables. I always have a hard time picking up on sonic differences between cables... I never truly buy into what differences I think I'm hearing :sweat_smile:

I will say, purely for aesthetics, I like Alida most of the Vortex cables I've seen. I think this would match very nicely with the Ti faceplates:

1706644050397.png

I'm typically not a huge fan of paracord wrapped cables but if ergos are at least on par with Martini then I'll be good.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #516 of 802
To those of you who heard Jewel and Anni? What are the main differences? Is Annihilator much brighter than Jewel, is the bass on Jewel higher than Anni? Which one has more air between the notes? Currently considering blindly going in for Anni and doubts are crawling in =)

Too bright headphones usually tend to sound bit flat to me, I dont really enjoy losing the weight of instruments and depth of vocals timbre.

Feb 13, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #517 of 802
To those of you who heard Jewel and Anni? What are the main differences? Is Annihilator much brighter than Jewel, is the bass on Jewel higher than Anni? Which one has more air between the notes? Currently considering blindly going in for Anni and doubts are crawling in =)

Too bright headphones usually tend to sound bit flat to me, I dont really enjoy losing the weight of instruments and depth of vocals timbre.
I drew some comparisons a few pages back, see page 32. I did not comment on the bass there. That for me is one of the main differences actually. The bass on the Annihilator is way more present than on the Jewel, which gives the Annihilator a much fuller sound overall.

1707862843076.png

Feb 13, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #518 of 802
I drew some comparisons a few pages back, see page 32. I did not comment on the bass there. That for me is one of the main differences actually. The bass on the Annihilator is way more present than on the Jewel, which gives the Annihilator a much fuller sound overall.

1707862843076.png

That’s pretty great news for me, thank you.

Feb 13, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #519 of 802
That’s pretty great news for me, thank you.
If I can share my 2 cents, although I only ever A/B’d Jewel to the Anni21.

My takeaway was that Jewel despite being less forward in the treble, still sounded more forward and even a bit shouty for my preferences. If you volume match the bass as @MatW says, the Anni is definitely richer and more chesty, but also more sparkly in the treble, but with softer vocals relative to treble.

Jewel is tuned more reference, but it is more tailored to audiophile type music and can be unforgiving in the midrange, where Anni23 is a bit more dampened in the mids. Jewel mids are more clear and bass is tighter, but it sometimes sounds a bit cold.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 17, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #522 of 802
Wishes do come true!

Brushed ti goodness with nice gold accents.

20240217_104941.jpg
Nice! What cable is that? I sadly found out the stock LL cable won't property connect to my DX300 Max.

Feb 17, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #523 of 802
Nice! What cable is that? I sadly found out the stock LL cable won't property connect to my DX300 Max.
EA Cleo II Octa.

Not sure yet if it's an ideal pairing. Visually they look perfect together but I think Anni needs a brighter cable sound-wise to bring out Anni's strength.

Feb 17, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #524 of 802
EA Cleo II Octa.

Not sure yet if it's an ideal pairing. Visually they look perfect together but I think Anni needs a brighter cable sound-wise to bring out Anni's strength.
I have the 4w and always thought of Cleo as pretty bright. To be fair, I've used extremely infrequently.

What will be brighter for you?

Feb 17, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #525 of 802
I have the 4w and always thought of Cleo as pretty bright. To be fair, I've used extremely infrequently.

What will be brighter for you?

Not sure yet. @timeslip is generously lending me the Anni for 1 week. Same magical sounding unit I tried several weeks ago but he has it paired with a Centurion. Last night I was able to try both cables on my mmkII. It was a very short listening session but my impression is the Centurion added a bit more sparkle/brightness without compromising the bass region. The Anni is still very good, but lost some of the magic. The Centurion gives that final 3% improvement to reach sound paradise, but no way I'm spending that much on a cable haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back