Elysian Annihilator 2023
Sep 25, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #151 of 874
I’ve seen others report in that they like the Annihilator with the R6 Pro II. What does the R6 Pro II have that the Cayin N7 doesn’t? It looks like the N7 has more output power so I’m trying to wrap my head around this. I would not keep the Annihilator if the N7 was my only source.
I haven’t tried the N7 for longer than 5 minutes, and even then, it was on an unfamiliar IEM and amp so I can’t comment on that.

The R6 Pro II expanded the staging considerably compared to my other sources (Mojo 2, RS6) and most importantly, added texturing to the bass that I thought was lacking on the aforementioned sources.

It’s also quite dynamic on Class A. It has a somewhat weaker center image and a sub-par battery life but I don’t mind the trade-off.

Sep 25, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #152 of 874
I haven’t tried the N7 for longer than 5 minutes, and even then, it was on an unfamiliar IEM and amp so I can’t comment on that.

The R6 Pro II expanded the staging considerably compared to my other sources (Mojo 2, RS6) and most importantly, added texturing to the bass that I thought was lacking on the aforementioned sources.

It’s also quite dynamic on Class A. It has a somewhat weaker center image and a sub-par battery life but I don’t mind the trade-off.
I assume you are using the high output gain in class A? How much volume with high output do you have to give the Annihilator to drive it properly form the R6 Pro II?

Sep 25, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #153 of 874
I’ve seen others report in that they like the Annihilator with the R6 Pro II. What does the R6 Pro II have that the Cayin N7 doesn’t? It looks like the N7 has more output power so I’m trying to wrap my head around this. I would not keep the Annihilator if the N7 was my only source.
Did I understand correctly that you didn't like the N7 bundle and the Annihilators?

Sep 25, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #154 of 874
I assume you are using the high output gain in class A? How much volume with high output do you have to give the Annihilator to drive it properly form the R6 Pro II?
Yes, class A and high gain. I'd have to check the volume again, but I'd venture it's in the 35-45 range.

Sep 25, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #155 of 874
I did. And I have lots of thoughts. Need another few days to put them all together. Can we do a roll call of everyone’s favorite sources with the Annihilator? The first one I tried was underwhelming, disappointing, and a little concerning. And then, for kicks, I put the Annihilator on my studio turntable rig and, holy crap, I still can’t believe what I heard last night.
Plus, it's color coordinated!

Anni B.jpg

Sep 25, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #156 of 874
Plus, it's color coordinated!

Anni B.jpg
How are you liking Fusion 1 on that chain? It’s a nice visual pairing.

I tried Anni 23 -> Fusion 1 -> Mojo 2 and I preferred the stock LL Martini because I found the Fusion 1 added a congested stage and decreased midrange resolution.

It also added some coloration which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, and some nice treble weight/timbre.

Sep 25, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #157 of 874
How are you liking Fusion 1 on that chain? It’s a nice visual pairing.

I tried Anni 23 -> Fusion 1 -> Mojo 2 and I preferred the stock LL Martini because I found the Fusion 1 added a congested stage and decreased midrange resolution.

It also added some coloration which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, and some nice treble weight/timbre.
Yeah, the Fusion 1 can push the midrange forward a bit much sometimes, so I do prefer Martini or Chiron with the N30, for example. But the DMP is so open and spacious, it has great balance and soundstage has plenty of room for accurate instrument/vocal placement. And as you mentioned, the note weight is preferable to me vs. the Martini. IMO.

Sep 25, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #158 of 874
Yeah, the Fusion 1 can push the midrange forward a bit much sometimes, so I do prefer Martini or Chiron with the N30, for example. But the DMP is so open and spacious, it has great balance and soundstage has plenty of room for accurate instrument/vocal placement. And as you mentioned, the note weight is preferable to me vs. the Martini. IMO.
I did like the note weight! So we’re in agreement there. Killer set-up you got there.

Sep 26, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #159 of 874
I did. And I have lots of thoughts. Need another few days to put them all together. Can we do a roll call of everyone’s favorite sources with the Annihilator? The first one I tried was underwhelming, disappointing, and a little concerning. And then, for kicks, I put the Annihilator on my studio turntable rig and, holy crap, I still can’t believe what I heard last night.
Early days yet but....
I’ll say this right now… paired with a 4-pin XLR adapter, connected to the THX AAA 789, I was floored by the low frequency output and texture. Medium output gain. Volume between 40-45. I’ve never heard anything like this from an IEM including previous efforts to pair various iems with my studio rig. The word I used in my upcoming notes is “spectacular.”
....based on my past experience with other "hard to drive/scales well" IEMs like the IER-Z1R, I went straight for my desktop gear when Anni arrived the other day, and so far I think the Schiit Vali2+ tube amp sourced from the Bifrost2 may be just slightly ahead of the same DAC with Jotunheim2 balanced. Both deliver a powerful, visceral bass performance coupled with treble that extends so far that it feels like it's going out the top of my head sometimes. The Jot2 can be just a fraction "too much" on some tracks, whereas on others it's excess is what I'm after. I'd say it's probably 60/40 in favour of the Vali2+

It’s good on my Chord Mojo 2 and R6 Pro II, with or without amping.

It’s not so good on my RS6. I avoid that pairing.
I'm hearing the RS6 to be very close to the desktop rig I've got, what Plugins are you using? I've got the Fixed Sample Rate one set at 176400, and Sound Field at 1.25. I've noticed those both can significantly enhance stage size, particularly depth with other IEMs on the RS6, and Anni is no different.

Sep 26, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #160 of 874
Early days yet but....

....based on my past experience with other "hard to drive/scales well" IEMs like the IER-Z1R, I went straight for my desktop gear when Anni arrived the other day, and so far I think the Schiit Vali2+ tube amp sourced from the Bifrost2 may be just slightly ahead of the same DAC with Jotunheim2 balanced. Both deliver a powerful, visceral bass performance coupled with treble that extends so far that it feels like it's going out the top of my head sometimes. The Jot2 can be just a fraction "too much" on some tracks, whereas on others it's excess is what I'm after. I'd say it's probably 60/40 in favour of the Vali2+

I'm hearing the RS6 to be very close to the desktop rig I've got, what Plugins are you using? I've got the Fixed Sample Rate one set at 176400, and Sound Field at 1.25. I've noticed those both can significantly enhance stage size, particularly depth with other IEMs on the RS6, and Anni is no different.
No plugins. Just high gain, class A, and Harmonic Controller at 120.

Staging isn’t the reason I avoid the Anni/RS6. What the RS6 lacks in staging, it makes up for in layering and depth.

The thing I don’t like about that pairing is the treble response is a little too polite for my tastes. I prefer the R6P2 pairing which has a livelier treble response with Anni, and most importantly to me, better bass texturing.

Sep 26, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #161 of 874
For months now, I have regularly checked Musicteck for availability of the Anni, and have messaged Lee on FB many times for updates on expected restocks. To be honest, I had all but given up ever being able to get my hands on a pair of these, so I was shocked to see some in stock this morning and couldn't help but pull the trigger. I'm super excited.

Sep 26, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #162 of 874
Sep 26, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #163 of 874
I have still no news from eliseaudio and I have ordered them on Aug 21 :frowning2:

Sep 26, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #164 of 874
I have still no news from eliseaudio and I have ordered them on Aug 21 :frowning2:
Give them a chat, they're very transparent about when they should be getting their next batch.

Sep 26, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #165 of 874
Give them a chat, they're very transparent about when they should be getting their next batch.
I sent them an e-mail yesterday, but I had no reply. I give them some time, then I'll try with the chat, thank you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back