Elysian Acoustic Labs “X” Flagship IEM Discussion Thread
Aug 25, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #526 of 656
Ordered this a few weeks ago. Elysian said 6-8 weeks wait. Only 3 weeks to go...hopefully it's on time. Kinda worried considering the delays on the Divas.
Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

I'm gonna give it a go with iDSD Diablo today, then the Hugo2. >=)

Feed it all the power!

Aug 28, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #529 of 656
I do have a desktop amp if m11 plus is not enough power lol
Oh interesting.

Which desktop amp are you using?

I plan to get one tomorrow as my first DAC/Amp for my desktop because I'm frankly bored to death of my Creative soundcard lol.

I'm planning to get the Aune X1s GT.

Aug 28, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #530 of 656
Oh interesting.

Which desktop amp are you using?

I plan to get one tomorrow as my first DAC/Amp for my desktop because I'm frankly bored to death of my Creative soundcard lol.

I'm planning to get the Aune X1s GT.
Been using the Schiit Magnius & Modius stack for a couple years now. But finally upgrading to the Topping A90D & D90LE. Still waiting for them to arrive.

Aug 28, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #531 of 656
Been using the Schiit Magnius & Modius stack for a couple years now. But finally upgrading to the Topping A90D & D90LE. Still waiting for them to arrive.
That's quite a stack. Hope it's worth the wait for you.

Aug 28, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #532 of 656
Ordered this a few weeks ago. Elysian said 6-8 weeks wait. Only 3 weeks to go...hopefully it's on time. Kinda worried considering the delays on the Divas.
X2-3 times that would be a safer bet

Aug 30, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #533 of 656
20220830_211012.jpg

Preparation complete.

Stay tuned guys...

20220830_214645.jpg

Joining the fun along would be the good ol' Bass-master from Sony. Would do a thorough A/B with them of course. :)

Eartips used:
IER-Z1R -- Spinfit W1 M size
Annihilator -- Spinfit CP155 M size

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #534 of 656
So I've spent a good while with the Annihilator and the Z1R paired with my new X1s GT.

20220831_120201.jpg

If there's one thing they share in common -- is that they love power. Hedonistic amounts of power. These thing really will flex their muscles with a powerful amp, and certainly will benefit from a DAC with a hint of warmth/musicality.

I was impressed before when I paired the Annihilator to a powerful portable DAC/Amp like the iDSD Gryphon, but a full desktop DAC/Amp, even one that isn't relatively expensive like the Aune X1s GT with its ES9038Q2M chip and quad discrete amps tuned for a more dynamic and musical signature really lifts these two into another level, especially when connected to the powerful Penta 4.4mm connector (1200 mW @32 Ohms, more than enough to even drive some rather power hungry headphones).

Generally speaking I'm more sensitive in picking up high frequency sound, but I think this is sort of the same for any human ears, just a matter of how much from person to person's canal, since everyone's hearing are still different. But here, I'm definitely in for a treat that I thought I was familiar with the Annihilator, this time with a desktop DAC/Amp, it's like I have to revisit it again for a thorough listen.

If there's one thing I can describe about the Annihilator -- it is like a Supernova of treble. An IEM designed for trebleheads that loves the high frequency, and is all about the energy and sparkle.

The Annihilator just soars to insane height when plugged into the Aune. The gargantuan amount of treble here is almost frightening, but the curious thing is that it was free of peaky response or sibilance. And if there IS sibilance, it's mostly from some of my not-so-good content like Komm, Susser Todd (the singer really needs a better mic should there be a remaster or remake).

As I crank the volume up, I keep hearing more and more microdetails as it pick on the recordings fed. It's like an IEM that won't stop giving back if you feed it more and more power. It just tempts me to keep going just to hear what I've missed out initially when paired with less powerful portable dongles when I'm commuting during my weekdays work travel for every half an hour journey.

And yet despite reaching to almost uncomfortable volume for my ears, the Annihilator just smirked and went "Come on, bro, is this all you can give?" and it feel like it can STILL keep giving, but I realized that I have to stop once I reached 1'o clock dial on the volume knob because that's when my ears will start to ache.

I sadly cannot do the same on the power feeding and volume cranking to the Sony IER-Z1R as I feel like the treble on that is a lot less refined to my ears, and not just that, in terms of intensity and "hotness", it felt way too much for my ears as well, which seem to make sense to me at least. Because these two couldn't be more opposite from one another in their strengths.

If the IER-Z1R is the Grand Maestro of Bass, the Elysian Annihilator is the Overlord of Treble. Simple as that.

The bass hits well enough too with just the right amount of texture and decay, but it's definitely the least impressive part of the Annihilator, which is the opposite of the Bass Lord Sony IER-Z1R. Because compared to the Sony, that thing's looooooong decay and rumble just gives off such an euphoric feel around my head when that low end hits and went by. I hate to say this, but the Annihilator just didn't give me that same level of satisfaction on the low end, but there's nothing to be ashamed of because the Annihilator has that mighty treble edge that the Sony just couldn't give me either.

The Annihilator has a balanced feel of decay and punch, which is great in its technicality, but it's certainly the completely opposite of Sony's bass, top it off with the incredibly deep-bass sound signature out of the Aune X1s unit, and you get a very addictive recipe for bassheads who love all the controlled amount of bass and all the rumbling to spare.

And this is where the Sony IER-Z1R has the Annihilator licked a bit.

The Z1R's bass, paired with the already deep and hard-hitting bass from the Aune X1s GT -- is a cocktail of addicting, rumbling, deep, impactful, and most of all -- CONTROLLED bass.

I cannot stress enough how incredible the bass is on the Z1R. It really is on a league of its own when driven with proper power. I may have to do more testing in future but so far I haven't quite found an IEM yet that can truly trade blows with it.

Maybe my opinion on this will change when I try to pair the Diva with the Aune, with the bass dialed up to the max of course. Mmmmm...

On the midrange, they both have just as much presence to my ears with Annihilator favoring more on the upper mids (most likely thanks to that humongous level of treble), which to my ears at least -- gave it a more energetic overall feel that I can vibe with just about any vocal focused songs, but I personally find it best experienced with relaxing songs like Moon River (Andy Williams), Fly Me to the Moon (Brenda Lee) and of course, Spanish Harlem (Rebecca Pidgeon).

The Sony Z1R on the other hand put the midrange to the backseat in favor of the intense treble and that exciting low-end (effectively V-shaped), but it's not to say that it's completely lifeless or dull and muddy. It's still a balanced midrange, just that it's being pushed to the back a bit more than I would've preferred. It has potential but those who are looking for thick, lush and smooth midrange would probably have to look elsewhere.

Putting aside the volume thing, the Annihilator's also got quite big 3D soundstage. Wide and tall enough to be considered music-hall too. You know how there used to be the saying "This IEM makes me feel like listening to full-size speaker setup" ? Granted, if we're to put on that objectivist pants and speak physically and scientifically; no IEMs can sound like speakers. However, if we toss that pants to the side where the sun doesn't shine; if there really was a comparison that is close enough to hit home on that statement; emphasis on "close enough" mind you -- it'll be this IEM. You just need to really give it the power to scale for that experience because I cannot stress this enough -- the Annihilator will only show its colors if you got the juice to feed it.

The same can be said for the Z1R too. With the power fed by the quad amps from the Aune, the Sony just gives that humongous staging that makes me feel like I'm in a live hall and the overall presentation is pretty lifelike. And it does it without any awkward, unnatural exaggeration that make things feel too artificial which often results in a bizarre imaging. And I'm very pleased to report that I found no such artificial weirdness on staging with this pair up from my ears.

These things demands the best from you just as they will give you back the best in equal.

In conclusion:

If you are a bonefide basshead who loves bass like nobody's business, give a try for the Sony IER-Z1R. You'll be very happy with it, and I know I will be too, if I got the dough to actually BUY one. xD

If you're a treblehead and you really want that soaring high energy treble that extends infinitely, give the Annihilator a try first before considering a buy. It is significantly more expensive after all, compared to the IER-Z1R, but it also has more technicality than the Sony, in all fairness.

P.S: And as always, PLEASE TRY FIRST before considering a buy. No IEMs at this price range are worth a blind purchase because there's always gonna be buyers' remorse if it turns out to not be the sound their ears like...

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #535 of 656
Gentlemen,
I would like to invite you for the review of the new collaboration between Effect Audio and Elysian Acoustics Labs:

The Gaea

Below are the specs of both:

Effect Audio cable

Selected Premium UC-OPP Copper Litz
Selected Premium UP-OCC Silver Plated Copper Litz
Proprietary Dual Geometric Design
EPO 24 AWG 4 Wires
EA Ultra Flexi Insultation

ConX Ready with Pentaconn Ear Interchangeable Connector
Rhodium Plated Brass Straight Type Plug
ConX Shell - Aluminium shelled ConX, Black
Slider - EA customized Aluminium Slider, Black
EA Ultraflexi Insulation, Clear

Elysian Acoustics Labs Gaea

5 Drivers Hybrid:
1 DD + 4 BA
The drivers are of the more interesting, meaning DD from Foster and the BAs from Sonion
4-Ways Crossover System:
The "2 x High - 2 x Mids - 1 x Bass" represents how the drivers are allocated.
Gaea's 4 way crossover is configured like this:
1 high, 1 mid-high, 1 mid-low and 1 low
DiVe Pass II Technology :
Dual Ventilation - 1 for front chamber and 1 for back chamber for optimal pressure relief and DD movement
Frequency Response: 20 - 20 kHz
Impedance: 9 Ohm @ 1kHz
Sensitivity: 103dB/100mV @ 1kHz
THD </= 1%

Price: $ 1,299.00

I am setting up a ring of reviewers
All what needs to be done is give your honest opinion
The review needs to be posted on Head-Fi website + Head-Fi Facebook
Preferably on your own website
Later a new thread will be created here on Head-Fi
The set must be shipped on your own expenses to the next reviewer in line
The 8th day day from reception you'll need to ship it to the next in line
Shipping needs to be done with tracking + signature
US + CA Members only !

I have someone in Canada who's interested so we can do CA at the end of the US tour
Glad to have you on board and enjoy the pair
Sent me a message here, I'll add you to the list and let's get all going ... 🙏
299734251_5588924937833666_7812461314023371250_n.jpg

Aug 31, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #536 of 656
Gentlemen,
I would like to invite you for the review of the new collaboration between Effect Audio and Elysian Acoustics Labs:

The Gaea

Effect Audio cable

EPO 24 AWG 4 Wires

5 Drivers Hybrid:
1 DD + 4 BA
The drivers are of the more interesting, meaning DD from Foster and the BAs from Sonion
4-Ways Crossover System:
Dual Ventilation - 1 for front chamber and 1 for back chamber for optimal pressure relief and DD movement
THD </= 1%

US + CA Members only !

I have someone in Canada who's interested so we can do CA at the end of the US tour
.299734251_5588924937833666_7812461314023371250_n.jpg
Is there a U.S. distributor yet for purchasing?

Aug 31, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #537 of 656
Gentlemen,

The Gaea

Effect Audio cable

EPO 24 AWG 4 Wires

5 Drivers Hybrid:
1 DD + 4 BA
4-Ways Crossover System:
THD </= 1%

US + CA Members only !

.299734251_5588924937833666_7812461314023371250_n.jpg
I am very interested in this model. Too bad there is no tour of Europe. There is no known way yet to acquire it, right?

Aug 31, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #538 of 656
Is there a U.S. distributor yet for purchasing?
Not yet
But suppose it will be picked up later either by MusicTeck or 64 Audio
I am very interested in this model. Too bad there is no tour of Europe. There is no known way yet to acquire it, right?
It's not officially released yet
That's why we have the tour

Aug 31, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #539 of 656
Gentlemen,

The Gaea

Effect Audio cable

EPO 24 AWG 4 Wires

5 Drivers Hybrid:
1 DD + 4 BA
4-Ways Crossover System:
THD </= 1%

US + CA Members only !

Since this looks somewhat more 'official' than the usual Elysian Acoustics posts/ads (if there's any), I assume that production & distribution are handled by Effect Audio? That'll be a great news for us to-be costumers

Aug 31, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #540 of 656
Since this looks somewhat more 'official' than the usual Elysian Acoustics posts/ads (if there's any), I assume that production & distribution are handled by Effect Audio? That'll be a great news for us to-be costumers

This is more of an EA product although it's a colab with Elysian.
So any purchase, after sales service, etc is with EA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back