Elysian Acoustic Labs “X” Flagship IEM Discussion Thread
May 16, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #646 of 656
D72D297A-C4C9-489C-9D31-3BB3C0E3D590.jpegB75BC4BA-A130-4F0E-8985-BEF3148BD40E.jpeg
36C8BA24-2104-4C6B-80F3-689FC001F821.jpeg
8A599E65-B0F2-4179-B631-868EE59B985C.jpeg

Initial Impression from the manufacturer compared to Elysian Annihilator (previous flagship) :

Annihilator is our old flagship. 1 Foster dynamic driver, 4 BA, and 2 EST drivers. X is our new flagship which consists of 1 Foster dynamic driver, 4 BA, and 4 EST drivers. X tuning is slightly different compared with Annihilator. X bass is focused more on Sub-bass Annihilator on mid-bass. X have more lower mids and less upper mids compared to Annihilator. X high frequency is a bit more refined compared to Annihilator but still maintaining the extension like Annihilator. Overall X have better depth and height compared to Annihilator while maintaining the same soundstage width. X will come with Liquid Links Venom which is a new flagship cable. Annihilator will come with Liquid Links Martini cable.

Update from the creator Mr. Lee
X has better depth and height, more or less same width. X has better mids, and more refine high frequency. Both are a bit difficult to drive, but modern DAP should sound just fine.

Best pairing Lee had was with DMP-Z1. The iem demands a bit of power to drive.

For Annihilator, lower mids a bit recessed and upper mids a bit boosted. Which makes it sound like a V-shaped tuning but not V at the same time due to female vocals being forward but all the instruments enveloping around the singer. More like "on the stage" feeling instead of in front of the stage like most iem. X is also similar on this tuning methodology, but has more lower mids and less higher mids. Vocals are thicker and have more authority compared to Annihilator which in terms sounded more natural and lively. X's high frequency will have more timbre compared to Annihilator and have a bit more decay which will sound smoother. Details retrieval are retained. Both are very well extended. Based on my own evaluation, I think even our Terminator 2 will give Traillii a tough fight. I might be bias, but on measurement alone, it's superior.
Awesome. Thank you

May 24, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #647 of 656
Ordered a DIVA 2023 and I'm quite excited to hear it!

Anyone know if OE Audio's Pentaconn EAR connectors will work with Elysian sets? Plan on getting a cable made that would allow me to swap connection types, but just want to make sure that I have the connector types locked in before moving forward.

Thanks!

Sep 30, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #648 of 656
Some thoughts about my Anni23 I purchased 3 weeks ago from MT. Thanks Andrew again for getting your hand on a unit so short. 🙏🏻

As everyone I was looking for some new toys. Originally I bought an VE Aura, which unfortunately wasn’t my cup of tea. I wished it has been more an EXT than a Phönix. But never trust your ears at a fair, always take a second chance to listen to the stuff before buying. But my next sentence counteracts this statement in a sec. … I bought the Anni23 completely blind. 🫣

This was the first IEM I bought new without any listening sessions. Crazy in way, if you keep in mind, how much it costs. It was a big risk and my decision only based on some reviews or statements from some established headfiers. And I was so lucky I could trust their experiences. 👍🏻

I need a while to find the best sound signature, that fits my taste. The music I listened to most is electronic stuff, so that you have a clue, why I think the Anni23 was the right choice for me. I can’t say that I ever thought I would become a treblehead. I am definitely sensitive for some upper mids frequencies, sibilants and peaks around 8-10khz. There are a lot of IEMs that I liked for their w-shaped tuning, but if it comes to treble, most of them show weaknesses. 🙉

I owned a Ragnar for a couple of month and was absolutely impressed by its technical performance. But after a while, I missed some bass with it. Don’t get me wrong the articulation of the subbass is superb, but Ragnar is often perceived as a bright IEM, because it’s lacking some bass quantity. But not the Anni23, it has a perfect balance between high and low frequencies. ⚖️

Yes, the frequency response of the base looks like an EVO, but there has to be this kind of contrast to keep the highs in balance. EVO can’t do this (at least without eq). Okay, and I think this has to be mentioned, the biggest complaint is unfortunately the quality of the bass. It has lot of weight, particularly the subbass, but it can sound sometimes a bit mushy, not as precisely articulated and structured like for example the frontier series from FirAudio. But overall it’s still a very good bass, with some bloating from time to time. It’s very important to find the right tips to compensate this effect. 🤸

Otherwise I can give my biggest recommendation for the Anni23. Mids are absolutely gorgeous and treble is constantly impressive to me. The Anni23 can absolutely be a „one and done“, because it handles slow and fast music in the same way - with outstanding technical and musical qualities. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Yes, the treble can be present at first listening, but let it go. It’s like an expedition with differences in tones you never heard before. So in that way it can be a bit fatiguing with the lot of new information, but there is always the wagging toe / foot / leg, that wants to make you dive deep into music without thinking about FR-curves, driver configurations or the price performance. 🕺🪩

If you ever have the chance to listen to it, grab it. I don’t regret my decision in any way. Yes, I‘d like to hear the Grand Maestro for it‘s bass and maybe there is a bit more of salt in Traillii or Mentor Mids. But it’s a always a question of preferences and there is no *Eierlegende Wollmilchsau on this planet. 🌎

*German expression, that can’t be translated, only visualized 🥚🧶🥛🥩

Feb 16, 2024 at 4:02 AM Post #653 of 656
Our review of the Elysian Acoustic Labs Annihilator 2023 is finally done, with comparisons to the Viking Ragnar, Fir Audio's Radon 6, and the new Vision Ears VE10. :)

https://headfonics.com/elysian-acoustic-labs-annihilator-2023-review/

1708073221562.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back