Elvis Costello - Blood and Chocolate...I missed the boat on this one!!
Jul 28, 2006 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
I just bought this yesterday, and I can't believe that I've missed this one all this time.

I'm not crazy about a lot of his more recent stuff (although his newest work with Allen Toussaint is excellent), and I just assumed that this was more representative of that. Not exactly....this reminds me of the best things that I liked about My Aim Is True and This Years Model, with a hint of Imperial Bedroom thrown in for good measure. It really is a VERY good album.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone else have anything interesting to say about this or other more recent works?

Jul 29, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #2 of 11
I bought his collaboration album with Allen Toussaint (The River in Reverse) a few weeks ago and it sounds very promising, but I've been on a bit of a CD buying binge in the past few weeks since buying a new set of headphones and an amp. I love his album with Burt Bacharach (Painted from Memory) though, and it sounds incredible with my new system. None of his other more recent albums have particularly grabbed me, but he's meant to be amazing live, should one have the opportunity to catch him.

Jul 29, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #3 of 11
I saw him coming up on 15 years ago now at Michigan State University. I didn't notice at the time, but he was appearing WITHOUT the Attractions. I thought that the show was going to be a big disappointment...and boy oh boy was I wrong!!

I think it might be the best concert I've ever seen. Just the man and his guitar...what a talented guy he is to carry that off so well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 11
"I Want You," "Battered Old Bird," and "Crimes of Paris" are great, but I pretty much hate the rest of the album.

Jul 31, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #6 of 11
It is a great album and much different from more recent stuff. 20 years old is still old, after all, although next year is the 30th anniversary of My Aim Is True.
tongue.gif
I loved that album and saw him once or twice in that time-frame. I'm glad that his is still prolific and comes out with something cool now and again, but the consistency ain't the same.

Aug 1, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 11
Maybe my 3rd favorite Costello album, it's a killer.

erod-tom, if you haven't already, you should check out Brutal Youth from '93, it's a lot like Blood and Chocolate-- angry, biting, bitter and mean. There's not a duff track on it. I alternate between Brutal Youth and This Year's Model as my all-time fav Elvis disc, I think it's that good.

Aug 1, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd
... he's meant to be amazing live, should one have the opportunity to catch him.

Yes, absolutely. I caught him in (I think) the summer of '90. He's awesome, one of the best show's I've seen. Full house, three or four encores to a wildly cheering crowd. We were on our feet for all of it, too. He played a heck of a lot of music, too, including nearly an hour of solo/piano or guitar. Highly recommended.

I've liked his newer stuff here and there. But the old stuff is great. If you don't have "King of America," pick it up. It had been out of print for awhile, but Rhino re-released it not too long ago.

Aug 1, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #9 of 11
I missed a lot of the middle period EC stuff myself, including Blood & Chocolate, and like you, I was blown away by it when I finally back filled my collection a couple of years ago. What "inspired" me to do so was the availability of the Rhino 2 disc releases. I pretty much scooped them all up, and must say that there was not a single disappointment in the mix. The "Disc 2" material on the Rhino remasters are quite good in general, and there is some absolutely killer stuff on Disc 2 of B&C. (I hope that's the version you bought Tom, or sorry about your wallet).

Aug 1, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #10 of 11
this is totally bizarre. for the second time in a week, someone else starts a thread about the exact album i'm listening to at the time. first VU & Nico and now Blood & Chocolate. even stranger, these are two albums that i haven't listened to in eons, i had just dusted them off for nostalgia's sake.

B & C is a brilliant album, even though it doesn't quite match up to the genius of Trust, Imperial Bedroom or This Year's Model.

for the record, Costello invented the alter-ego Napoleon Dynamite for this album... which led to his idea for the Wheel of Fortune tour, wherein audience members (with the assistance of emcee Tom Waits) would spin a giant wheel with song titles on it, and that's the song the band would play.

getting back to the album...

as a whole, the album is a portrait of anger, bitterness, envy and sadness; hence the nom de plume, Napoleon Dynamite. at the outset, he's almost reveling in his rage, happily angry, spitting out aggressive rockers. but you can see the anger evolve into resigned sadness and cynicism by the end of the album, like an old man who's lived a tough life and seen it all.

"Uncomplicated" sets up the album perfectly as an angry grinder. it's another one of Costello's attempts to write an entire song based around a single chord (see also the Imperial Bedroom opener, "Beyond Belief").

"I Want You" is easily one of the five best songs Costello has ever written. it starts off as a saccharine love song, the likes of which you could hear in any downtown coffee shop on open mic night. within seconds, it pulls off its mask and mutates into a twisted screed on deranged obsession. the one-note, off-kilter guitar solo is one of my all-time favorites: a perfect interlude that's as creepy as the character singing.

"Blue Chair" is about the resignation of being jilted by a lover for your friend, just as the friend suffers the same fate. i actually prefer the alternate version from the outtakes album, Out of Our Idiot, but listening to the two versions side by side is fascinating, and it reveals how Costello goes through the songwriting process.

"Battered Old Bird" is just a devastating song. it paints such a dark, bleak picture of neglect, poverty and addiction, and i can't stop listening to it. the first time i heard this song i just played it over and over.

these are the reall standout tracks on the album; the remainder of the songs vary from quite good to nearly great.

Aug 2, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Maybe my 3rd favorite Costello album, it's a killer.

erod-tom, if you haven't already, you should check out Brutal Youth from '93, it's a lot like Blood and Chocolate-- angry, biting, bitter and mean. There's not a duff track on it. I alternate between Brutal Youth and This Year's Model as my all-time fav Elvis disc, I think it's that good.

I will have to check it out...I'm on a bit of an EC kick lately, back-filling all the Rhino 2-CD sets. Next Up: Brutal Youth and King of America.

Wayne, yes it was the 2-CD set...but as you can see, there's more for me to be sorry about when it comes to my wallet.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back