Elna Cerafine Capacitor Group Buy
Jan 12, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #49 of 52
Ok here's the scoop:

I don't have definite prices yet but it seems like we're in the same boat as before.

When I called Elna a nice rep told me that they have only had a few orders in the US for the SILMIC series caps (and for most of the audio grade electrolytics they sell). For the most part, if you want to get these caps from a US distributor that distributor is going to have to order at least 1000 caps minimum for each value.

She said that Mouser and Newark have ordered those caps in the past. Mouser lists the 220uF/35V (555-RFS35V220) on their site for $1.33 with a minimum order of 100 and they would be backordered. I didn't see anything on Newark's site about them but I'll call tomorrow.

I have a call into Lead Electronics to find out prices on these but this is the same comapny I called for the Cerafines and I think we're going to find ourselves in the same situation:

8-10 week lead time
1000 cap per value minimum

I don't think we'll be able to get 3000 caps worth of orders here, so I'm open to suggestions. We might be able to go with one value and try to make the 1000 piece minimum that way. I'm still waiting to hear from a few other distributors, but I think it's going to be the same story.

Any thoughts? or should we abandon this group buy?

Jan 12, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #51 of 52
Both the PPA and the PIMETA take 12.5mm diameter caps, and most people need 25 volt caps. (This is in case of virtual ground collapse; there aren't pins on either board to accept an overvoltage crowbar like described on p. 319 of The Art of Electronics
cool.gif
).

Therefore, it would seem to me there would be the most demand for one or the other of

(A) 25V 330uF 490 mArms 12.5x25 cap
(B) 25V 470uF 640 mArms 12.5x25 cap

I'd buy a bunch of either or these. The larger cap won't fit in a Hammond 1455J12 case, but would be the more popular choice for anyone who has room.

There's a flaw in democracy here: The early voices you hear may not give you any indication where the heaviest demand would ultimately be. A bit like letting a New England state decide who our Democratic presidential candidate should be. I'd bet whatever fits the PIMETA would be most popular in the end.

Jan 12, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #52 of 52
Quote:

She said that Mouser and Newark have ordered those caps in the past. Mouser lists the 220uF/35V (555-RFS35V220) on their site for $1.33 with a minimum order of 100 and they would be backordered. I didn't see anything on Newark's site about them but I'll call tomorrow.

$1.33 a piece is a bit expensive, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back