Eleven Audio XIAUDIO Formula S Headphone Amplifier
Jan 14, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #436 of 674
maybe it is white and reddish on an angle...whatever color it is mine is always solid and on

Jan 22, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #439 of 674
Jan 22, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #440 of 674
Im still breaking
How do you like the Diana TC?
I received it a few days ago so I am still getting used to it. Overall first impressions: unbelievably effortless vocals and details at loud levels without being fatiguing or sharp. The bass seems about the same as the v2. Compared to the Diana v2 (which is awesome as well), the biggest difference seems to be better speed and details at the high end without being fatiguing. Another words, I'm cranking up the volume on the Formula s and the music just seems to sound better and better! Love that about the TC so far. I have the 1266 TC on order so I'll be interested how that compares. I should be getting that next week.

Jan 22, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #441 of 674
Im still breaking

I received it a few days ago so I am still getting used to it. Overall first impressions: unbelievably effortless vocals and details at loud levels without being fatiguing or sharp. The bass seems about the same as the v2. Compared to the Diana v2 (which is awesome as well), the biggest difference seems to be better speed and details at the high end without being fatiguing. Another words, I'm cranking up the volume on the Formula s and the music just seems to sound better and better! Love that about the TC so far. I have the 1266 TC on order so I'll be interested how that compares. I should be getting that next week.
Adding to above after watching Josh's video on the TC review: I think the TC is awesome, and the best headphone I own. I do think the v2 does bass better, maybe just my ears though. I just think the v2 does that range better. Thoughts anyone?

Jan 23, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #442 of 674
Adding to above after watching Josh's video on the TC review: I think the TC is awesome, and the best headphone I own. I do think the v2 does bass better, maybe just my ears though. I just think the v2 does that range better. Thoughts anyone?

Diana V2 does bigger mid bass compare to Diana Phi, but Phi able to render texture more detail and better speed when the song need it. Still curious how DTC perform in bass section though.

Jan 25, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #444 of 674
What track would you like me to do an a b test with? I can then respond with my thoughts since I own both.

If possible, with these 2 songs:
- Norah Jones - Waiting (Testing Vocal, Bass and soundstage)
- Anne Murray - Oh, Lonesome Me (Testing Vocal, separation, imaging precision, and soundstage)

Many thanks in advance!

Jan 25, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #445 of 674
Diana V2 does bigger mid bass compare to Diana Phi, but Phi able to render texture more detail and better speed when the song need it. Still curious how DTC perform in bass section though.
This sounds appropriate. Diana TC did not provide the big bass response and certainly not when associated with the TC driver variant -- it is far and away a more softer impact than the 1266. More detailed, textured, resolute availability correlates.

Jan 25, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #446 of 674
Update: I was able to 100% solve the hum issues I was experiencing out of the Formula S + Powerman with a HumX. I had tried just about everything (power conditioners, different USB cables, various iFi products, expensive power cords, etc). Attaching a HumX to the Powerman's power cord turned everything silent for the first time. Pretty excited about that.

However. I'm still experiencing the Formula S going into overload/protect mode (white light turning red briefly and disabling sound for a split second). It's 100% reproducible at this point and if anyone would mind giving this a go and letting me know your results, it'd be really helpful.

When running this frequency sweep:

I set:
  • Formula S volume knob to "7:30" or "8".
  • High gain on.
  • And I let the sweep play the 1Hz - 20Hz set of frequencies.
I find it enters protect mode consistently (that is, 100% of the time) on 10Hz and 15Hz frequency switches. It clicks off, then wakes up and plays the rest of frequency tone, then clicks off for the next one before waking up and playing it like nothing happened. All lower frequencies (1Hz, 5Hz) are fine, as are all the higher frequencies (20Hz, 25Hz, 30Hz, and so on). It's just 10Hz and 15Hz that the unit can't handle.

I'm using this frequency sweep as the example because it is 100% reproducible on my end, but I've experienced this overload mode triggering while doing things as mundane as watching episodes of The Expanse (Amazon Prime scifi show) at a medium-high volume level. For those familiar, the low bass (presumably in that 10Hz-20Hz range) from ship engine burns is enough to cause the amp to go into protect mode for a split second, interrupting the moment and making me think about the amp having an issue. My older Violectric v281 does not do this, ever. I guess I'm just looking to understand if this is normal for this amp (which would be established by others here experiencing the same thing if running the same test with the above conditions) or if it is abnormal, in which case sending in for repair is necessary.

If any of you don't mind playing that frequency sweep with the settings I ran it at (from 1Hz - 20Hz at "8" on the volume knob [right around the end of the white line that goes around the volume knob] at high gain) and letting me know if your Formula S is stable throughout, that would be a very helpful data point. Again, for me it is 100% of the time. A sample size of one isn't very helpful for diagnosing problems. Thank you. <3

And again, if any of you run into a hum issue or audible noise when moving windows around on your computer, HumX/Eliminator is the solution. I had given up on a solution, and this was the last thing that came in the mail out of maybe 10 different products I've tried over the last 2 weeks.

Jan 25, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #447 of 674
- Anne Murray - Oh, Lonesome Me (Testing Vocal, separation, imaging precision, and soundstage)

Many thanks in advance!
I will respond with notes this weekend. I should be receiving the 1266 TC before Friday so I may have a nice comparison going between the 3 (Dv2, DTC, and 1266TC). I'll be using Apple Music lossless via iPad Pro to Sagra Dac, to Formula S/Powerman to the headphones (with normal priced cables lol).

Jan 30, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #448 of 674

Many thanks in advance!
Thoughts on the comparison between the Dv2 and DTC are below. I listened to the Dv2 around the 4 o clock dial and the DTC around the 5 o clock dial on the Formula S. That seems to have approximately the same volume.

Biggest difference is clarity and detail on the DTC without having any annoying highs. The bass between the 2 are about equal. The biggest jump from the DV2 to the DTC seems be the speed, clarity, detail and beautiful highs. I'd say sound stage is slightly better on the DTC. Honestly, to me, the DTC is more enjoyable to listen to. I did receive the 1266 a few days ago, and bass, soundstage, and bigger sound blows both Dianas away. Listening to acoustic and vocals on the DTC seems more enjoyable than the 1266 though.

Jan 30, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #449 of 674
Thoughts on the comparison between the Dv2 and DTC are below. I listened to the Dv2 around the 4 o clock dial and the DTC around the 5 o clock dial on the Formula S. That seems to have approximately the same volume.

Biggest difference is clarity and detail on the DTC without having any annoying highs. The bass between the 2 are about equal. The biggest jump from the DV2 to the DTC seems be the speed, clarity, detail and beautiful highs. I'd say sound stage is slightly better on the DTC. Honestly, to me, the DTC is more enjoyable to listen to. I did receive the 1266 a few days ago, and bass, soundstage, and bigger sound blows both Dianas away. Listening to acoustic and vocals on the DTC seems more enjoyable than the 1266 though.
BUT...did you use the duperconductor? :stuck_out_tongue:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back