Eleven Audio XIAUDIO Formula S Headphone Amplifier
Apr 2, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #106 of 674
I just can't seem to make up my mind about which one I want.
Screenshot 2021-04-02 at 22.42.43.png

Apr 2, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #107 of 674
I wish there were more folks with the Niimbus US 4/5 that could compare the amps using the Abyss 1266 primarily. The FS/P combo comes pretty damn close in price and likely exceeds the Niimbus price when factoring in the additional power cord. I just can't seem to make up my mind about which one I want.
if you use the abyss primarily I think the choice is easy...if not flip a coin!

Apr 2, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #108 of 674
if you use the abyss primarily I think the choice is easy...if not flip a coin!
Agreed, not sure there is a better amp for them.

Apr 3, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #109 of 674
Has someone who owns both Abyss and Formula S+P tried XIAudio Sagra DAC? There isn't much info online about it, nor comparisons to other gear, but am curious how this trifecto sounds.

Apr 3, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #110 of 674
I own the dave but am also curious as to how good the sagra DAC is

Apr 3, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #111 of 674
I own the dave but am also curious as to how good the sagra DAC is
DAVE is the pinnacle DAC. What even comes close except the ones from DCS like Bartok?

Apr 3, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #112 of 674
Apr 3, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #113 of 674
DAVE is the pinnacle DAC. What even comes close except the ones from DCS like Bartok?
I am not comparing the 2 only wondering how good the sagra is for the money

Apr 3, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #114 of 674
When speaking with Joe from Abyss, he told me that he prefers dCS Bartók with his WA33, but also owns Sagra DAC and Formula S+P. To his ears, WA33 is the best tube amp, Formula S+P the best solid state, while headphone out of Bartók is good enough, but mentioned that Dave is too analytical. Unsure if he has ever tried it with M Scaler or what amp pairing he had Dave with.

Apr 3, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #115 of 674
When speaking with Joe from Abyss, he told me that he prefers dCS Bartók with his WA33, but also owns Sagra DAC and Formula S+P. To his ears, WA33 is the best tube amp, Formula S+P the best solid state, while headphone out of Bartók is good enough, but mentioned that Dave is too analytical. Unsure if he has ever tried it with M Scaler or what amp pairing he had Dave with.
i dont think the guys at abyss are too keen on chord from everything i've watched and read lol

Apr 3, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #116 of 674
I love my abyss with chird dave....

Apr 3, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #117 of 674
Apr 5, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #118 of 674
These are just terrible excuses. Want great examples of actual engineering, go look at the AMP-13r or HPA-1, yes, both single-ended.

And yes, I did own the Formula S there is just now a thread for it. :laughing:
I certainly consider it impressive that the AMP-13R possesses that small of a size, for the amount of power that it possesses, while it, also, does not become too hot.

The only problem that it appears to possess, to me, would be the high price for it.

Hopefully it would be possible for the Dynahi, or for the CFA2, or for the CFA3, to be built in a similar size to the AMP-13R.

Apr 5, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #119 of 674
personally I could care less what it looks like inside an amp or any component if it sounds greats and performs without problems....in fact , I would argue given 2 items both sounding the same I would opt for the one with the less busy insides because my assumption is the simpler design would be the most reliable...less to go wrong,at least that has been my experience
That would be "could not care less".

Apr 5, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #120 of 674
I certainly consider it impressive that the AMP-13R possesses that small of a size, for the amount of power that it possesses, while it, also, does not become too hot.

The only problem that it appears to possess, to me, would be the high price for it.

Hopefully it would be possible for the Dynahi, or for the CFA2, or for the CFA3, to be built in a similar size to the AMP-13R.
As always, I do gripe about pricing and performance as I'm grounded in the DIY camp.

If you go back and find the Dynalo you can watch Kerry work SMD magic and minify it.

If you wanted to take a SuSy Dynahi or CFA3, I think you'll be sacrificing more performance than you want. A CFA2 could work as it is single-ended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back