Eleven Audio XIAUDIO Formula S Headphone Amplifier
Apr 5, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #121 of 673
I always find this approach interesting. My wife knows what everything costs and is even pushing me to buy the DAVE (and I might, eventually). We each have separate accounts in addition to the joint bill paying account; I buy what I want (within my budget) and she does the same. My first wife was not as understanding...

That would be "could not care less".
in my neck of the woods we say "I could care less" but thanks anyway

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #122 of 673
As always, I do gripe about pricing and performance as I'm grounded in the DIY camp.

If you go back and find the Dynalo you can watch Kerry work SMD magic and minify it.

If you wanted to take a SuSy Dynahi or CFA3, I think you'll be sacrificing more performance than you want. A CFA2 could work as it is single-ended.
I primarily would be interested to see the smallest version for the Dynahi, and to see the smallest version for the CFA3, because I feel that that would be interesting to see how much that they could be shrunk by good engineering design, because I would not expect for them to be able to be made "Mini".

The CFA2 is the amplifier that I would be interested to own, because the highest performance-to-size relationship that would be possible would be the most appealing for me.

Hopefully somebody possibly would be able to design that CFA2 Mini.

Apr 5, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #123 of 673
I primarily would be interested to see the smallest version for the Dynahi, and to see the smallest version for the CFA3, because I feel that that would be interesting to see how much that they could be shrunk by good engineering design, because I would not expect for them to be able to be made "Mini".

The CFA2 is the amplifier that I would be interested to own, because the highest performance-to-size relationship that would be possible would be the most appealing for me.

Hopefully somebody possibly would be able to design that CFA2 Mini.
It's all context and vision. The Dynalo was a small desktop amplifier minified to palm-sized portability. You just ain't shrinking a CFA3 much.

If you go look at the CFA3 thread here I post the Bakoon AMP-13R laying on top of the CFA3, it's just a giant difference. CFA2 can definitely be mini.

EDIT: Here
IMG_20200921_124521.jpeg

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #124 of 673
It's all context and vision. The Dynalo was a small desktop amplifier minified to palm-sized portability. You just ain't shrinking a CFA3 much.

If you go look at the CFA3 thread here I post the Bakoon AMP-13R laying on top of the CFA3, it's just a giant difference. CFA2 can definitely be mini.

EDIT: Here
IMG_20200921_124521.jpeg
Thank you for sharing that picture for me.

Would you possibly be able to share your impression for the sound performance for the AMP-13R, in comparison to your impression for the sound performance for the Formula S, together with the Powerman?

Apr 5, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #125 of 673
Thank you for sharing that picture for me.

Would you possibly be able to share your impression for the sound performance for the AMP-13R, in comparison to your impression for the sound performance for the Formula S, together with the Powerman?
The S is more detailed with more treble energy which is a little sibilant, more punch in the lower registers, less articulation in the mids and a more overall neutral response. The 13R throws the larger stage both width and depth ( a sneakily tube characteristic) is far more mid-centric and is noticeably more soft/round sounding.
A bit unfair but the 13R reminded me much more of the Riviera AIC-10 as it is a quite passive and enveloping natured presentation which lacks ultimate technicality.

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #126 of 673
DAVE is the pinnacle DAC. What even comes close except the ones from DCS like Bartok?

The "pinnacle DAC"? The sooner people stop subscribing to these sort of views the better. Having owned the DAVE + Blu Mk2, and a whole lot of TOTL DAC's in my time I can assure you that are plenty of DAC's that do more than simply "come close".

The DAVE is an exceptional component, but to elevate it to the point where it's the "pinnacle" reeks of fanboism and takes away from a nuanced discussion of all the great DAC components out there, not to mention the subjectivity associated with this hobby.

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #127 of 673
reeks of fanboism and takes away from a nuanced discussion of all the great DAC components out there
I agree - so in the spirit of taking the discussion back to XIAudio, I noticed in one of Abyss YouTube videos mentioning that XIAudio is working on a new DAC for half of price of Sagra DAC, in the same size/enclosure as their Broadway desktop amplifiers.

Apr 6, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #128 of 673
The "pinnacle DAC"? The sooner people stop subscribing to these sort of views the better. Having owned the DAVE + Blu Mk2, and a whole lot of TOTL DAC's in my time I can assure you that are plenty of DAC's that do more than simply "come close".

The DAVE is an exceptional component, but to elevate it to the point where it's the "pinnacle" reeks of fanboism and takes away from a nuanced discussion of all the great DAC components out there, not to mention the subjectivity associated with this hobby.
Nevermind me. You're just seeing the limits of what I know about DACs. I only joined this hobby in 2019 and those are the best DACs I can name. There are probably better that I'm just not familiar with.

Let's get back to the Formula S

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #129 of 673
The S is more detailed with more treble energy which is a little sibilant, more punch in the lower registers, less articulation in the mids and a more overall neutral response. The 13R throws the larger stage both width and depth ( a sneakily tube characteristic) is far more mid-centric and is noticeably more soft/round sounding.
A bit unfair but the 13R reminded me much more of the Riviera AIC-10 as it is a quite passive and enveloping natured presentation which lacks ultimate technicality.
Thank you for sharing your impression for me.

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #130 of 673

Thanks for sharing your impressions. I've never had the chance to audition the Bakoon but hear good things about it and hope to have the chance to give it a try one day!

While I agree on the view that the Formula S is a fairly neutral sounding amp with "airy" - and much loved, by me - trebles, I would personally not label it as "sibilant" :) which sounds very much like a negative connotation, to my non-mother-tongue ears at least. Probably also along the lines of what you say though, I don't necessarily see it as an amp with a particularly prominent focus on mids. Don't get me wrong, I feel the Formula is very consistent end-to-end and, as such, delivers a very complete package which includes also excellent mids as well as fast and very impactful low frequencies. But you can't probably get to the mids you get out of a Riviera (with the right tube) or some of the well made tube-only amps out there. But it still gets veeery close in my view and experience.

Apr 7, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #131 of 673
Thanks for sharing your impressions. I've never had the chance to audition the Bakoon but hear good things about it and hope to have the chance to give it a try one day!

While I agree on the view that the Formula S is a fairly neutral sounding amp with "airy" - and much loved, by me - trebles, I would personally not label it as "sibilant" :) which sounds very much like a negative connotation, to my non-mother-tongue ears at least. Probably also along the lines of what you say though, I don't necessarily see it as an amp with a particularly prominent focus on mids. Don't get me wrong, I feel the Formula is very consistent end-to-end and, as such, delivers a very complete package which includes also excellent mids as well as fast and very impactful low frequencies. But you can't probably get to the mids you get out of a Riviera (with the right tube) or some of the well made tube-only amps out there. But it still gets veeery close in my view and experience.
It's all context. As always, in comparison to x to establish a contrast.

Which is actually tricky as the AMP-13R boasts some of the most smooth treble response I've heard however it is at a cost unlike, say, INT-150 which was so sweet, smooth and, well, extended. Taking my CFA3 may be a better representation of the Formula S and edged treble response as the CFA3 is likely a dead neutral amplifier but presses upon more resolution and a more even treble extension compared to the S.

As to the mids, there is always a spectrum shift -- you get the lusher mids with a more blunted top end or a recessed mid with more treble extension.

Apr 7, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #133 of 673
Apr 7, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #134 of 673
I have, excellent pairing IMHO...despite its modest power number the formulas /powerman does a great job with hard to drive HP's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back