Eleven Audio XIAUDIO Formula S Headphone Amplifier
Jul 14, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #646 of 674
The May needs to break in, the initial sense clarity will improve along with the imaging.
I read that it takes 900 hours to fully break in. Was this your experience?

Jul 14, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #647 of 674
These are subtle changes over time. I honestly couldn’t tell a difference after a couple hundred hours. I think the most dramatic change was in the first 100.

Jul 14, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #648 of 674
I just listened to with and without the Powerman and I can confirm it’s definitely not night and day. You will pick it up in a blind test but you are not missing anything by not having the Powerman certainly not a $2700 worth difference.
I’d say sell the Formula S and look at getting the WA33 that will slow you to change the sound with tubes rather than expecting some sort of upgrade by getting the Powerman. This is my opinion only.
the powerman makes a huge difference IMHO particularly when driving harder to drive planars but everything is subjective

Jul 15, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #649 of 674
Any suggestions in terms of Interconnect RCA Cables?

I heard some Teddy pardon RCA to RCA and they were phenomenal. Came home connected my basic audio quest and it sounds crappy / shoutty. I am a cable believer now :)

Also, the Superconductor cable for the 1266 is a must. Again, till today, I didn’t feel cables were doing much to the sound but today was the day that mindset changed

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #650 of 674
Wow, quiet around here...can someone tell me what the plug socket with the 7 pins in the back of the FS and PM are?
I've never seen them anywhere before, and review pics show some pretty hefty looking plugs sticking out of them. Power sockets??

Feb 13, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #652 of 674
it's for connecting the powerman to the formula s. the powerman comes with the umbilical cord.

the standard IEC power cable however only goes into the powerman.

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #653 of 674
it's for connecting the powerman to the formula s. the powerman comes with the umbilical cord.

the standard IEC power cable however only goes into the powerman.
Thanks! Incidentally, how is Gustard with the FS? I'm currently on TT2/Mscaler and awaiting FS arriving. Heard the Gustard brings some warmth to FS?

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #654 of 674
Thanks! Incidentally, how is Gustard with the FS? I'm currently on TT2/Mscaler and awaiting FS arriving. Heard the Gustard brings some warmth to FS?

Gustard will perform rather intimate, soft, and lack of air and lack of micro texture/micro detail when compared to your TT2.

TT2 also does separation job and pin point imaging few levels above Gustard R26.

Feb 13, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #655 of 674
Couldn't have said it better myself. ^^

Gustard R26 really lacks any sense of air up top due to the R2R design. Immediately noticeable first couple of seconds and it only gets darker after burn in IIRC. High frequency detail is sponged away on that DAC. Taking it out of my system has literally been a breath of fresh air, showcasing the true resolution of the Forumula S.

I would look at higher-tiered DACs. Not recommended at this level of playback.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #656 of 674
Gustard will perform rather intimate, soft, and lack of air and lack of micro texture/micro detail when compared to your TT2.

TT2 also does separation job and pin point imaging few levels above Gustard R26.

Couldn't have said it better myself. ^^

Gustard R26 really lacks any sense of air up top due to the R2R design. Immediately noticeable first couple of seconds and it only gets darker after burn in IIRC. High frequency detail is sponged away on that DAC. Taking it out of my system has literally been a breath of fresh air, showcasing the true resolution of the Forumula S.

I would look at higher-tiered DACs. Not recommended at this level of playback.
Thanks both. Sounds to me like I should be sticking with my TT2 as I'm really happy with it's sound profile. How it performs as DAC only paired with FS will be fascinating to try.

Feb 26, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #657 of 674
Having had a listen for a few days, the step up from using TT2 solo to FS/P with TT2 as DAC only is significant.

There are layers of separation in the opening of Radiohead 'Airbag' I've never experienced before. Tool 'Ticks and Leeches' – the drums in particular – have a lot more punch and dynamism compared to TT2 as an amp.

There's more bass depth and presence, I mean I could go on but for me basically everything is better using this amp compared to TT2 solo.

The only negative? I've got a quiet hum in background when the music's off. It goes away when not connected to my TT2. The hum also gets louder when I turn the volume up on the FS. Does anyone know what might get rid of this?

Feb 26, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #659 of 674
Feb 26, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #660 of 674
Oh I see that Formula does not have XLR inputs.... geez for 5k or whatever it costs you would expect it to have XLR in so that kind of situations wont happen :rolling_eyes:
Anyway try different outlet for TT2 or/and Formula, sometimes isolation transformer can be helpful but not always.
Fighting with ground loop can be tricky.

ps. or just change amp with one that have XLR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back