Eletech Cables Official Impressions & Discussions Thread
Nov 4, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #961 of 5,653
Thanks Eric for hosting me yesterday at the Eletech's lab! Enjoyed the generosity of your team greatly!

I arrived late evening yesterday and was treated to a nice array of cables and displays! Eric had insisted that I have a beer and kick back to enjoy the session xD

Eric sat in and patiently explained his products and the company's operation ethos to me and while we chatted mostly about our audiophile journey before diving into the cables which were the main treat of the day! Unfortunately Socrates was not available to test out here but nonetheless an extremely enriching and satisfying experience!

I brought my AKSP1000m with my VE8 and Tia Fourte for the day and started with the lower range of Eletech Cables.

Fortitude / Prudence was introduced to me as being Eletech's elementary / entry offerings. The build quality and finishes are anything but low range imho. I'm thoroughly impressed with both the build quality as well as the performance levels put forth. A closer look at the individual parts is rather interesting. What beautiful barrels and parts they use for the lower range of cables. Outstanding attention to detail even on the pin barrels. From Eletech website photos, I thought that it's been photoshopped but hey, I managed to capture nice shades with just an iphone.

Fortitude
Unlike the previous copper cables that I've heard, I find the Fortitude to be rather neutral with energy. Quick and precise combined with clean crisp highs. Definitely not a warm and dark sounding copper as i've envisioned. Midrange is a touch accentuated and bigger sounding while the lows are slightly warmer and rounded with my VE8. Pairing with the VE8 is more preferable to the Fourte. The Fortitude also extends the soundstage width quite noticeably with little to no changes in depth / height.

Prudence
Surprise surprise! Who would have thought this neat little package to have caught my attention the minute I have it plugged in. The Prudence is an energetic piece! Running the Prudence with EDMs feels like having a sugar rush, its jam packed with details and momentum. I feel that the overall presentation is a slight boost in all frequencies with more emphasis on the mid and lows. Sound stage is satisfyingly large and deep. It's quite a wonder at this price point. Pairing with both the Fourte and VE8 are both great. I also seem to be able to listen at a lower volume with the Prudence and still achieve the same details levels.

The Prudence comes with this nifty cable tie that is quite well made. It feels like the kind of leather that is used for wallets. Too bad no leather cases included in the package. Eletech leather cases are pretty and well built. (My wife would probably not be too happy, Prudence is one of the cable(s) i walked away with)

Moving on to the big guns, Plato and Iliad! Again, unlucky that the much buzzed about Socrates isn't around today, I would love to spend some time with it.

Plato

Very very interesting component design choices and the blacked out look against the contrasting Silver cable core works very well here. I've heard much about this product and how it's being deployed at TOTL levels of pair-up. The Plato to me sounded very rich and transparent. It boosts the ingenious traits of my IEMs without overly boosting any frequencies. Highs and lows sounded fuller and more quantified whilst the mids are a touch cleaner. It feels like a veil being taken off. Quite a significant boost to the general staging, it feels like I'm in the centre of a concert with array speakers coming from the front. Very very impressive but not looking good on the wallet now..

Also heard on multiple accounts that it's a Non-Litz cable so I took the chance to ask Eric about it and to understand his thought process on this topic. To my surprise, he brought out a prototype Litz Plato for me to listen and compare, saying that the main driver behind choosing an unLitz Plato configuration was purely due to SQ considerations.

On the left -> a shinier silvery Plato (Non-Litz)
On the right -> a pale and matte look finish of the Plato (Litz)

Eric told me that both cables were built with the same configuration, geometry as well as materials ratio with the difference of one being litz and the other not. I certainly wasn't expecting a night/day difference between the 2 but i was proven wrong. The Litz Plato transformed into what you would call a "Silver signature". Thinning out the mid lows and lows and adding quite a boost to the mid high and highs. Presentation was overall a lot brighter and thinner with slightly wider soundstage. Though i may not look forward to the possible aesthetic changes to the Plato non-Litz but i understand why Eric and his team has chosen going down that route. If only there could be a solution to combine them both!

Iliad

The flagship and marvel of Eletech! Without even talking about sound, it sure is a looker! I love the complete synchronicity of the entire cable look from parts to the cable material itself! The attention to detail on the brushed matte metal parts is off the charts. Unfortunately duty calls and i have to pick up my wife for dinner hence i do not have much time to test out the Iliad fully. My brief listening thoughts were that it has a seductive vocals and bass with airy headroom. I'll definitely be back to try out the Socrates and Iliad again!

Thanks again to Eric and his team for hosting me for a cables party and for showing me the inner works of Eletech!

I was also shown a W-I-P that I will be keen to listen to the next time I'm back!

Really interesting stuff regarding the litz vs non-litz Plato! Seems like a great time. Hope I can make the journey one day. Can't wait to see you guys again when things get better, missing CanJam dearly <3

Nov 5, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #962 of 5,653
Really interesting stuff regarding the litz vs non-litz Plato! Seems like a great time. Hope I can make the journey one day. Can't wait to see you guys again when things get better, missing CanJam dearly <3

Always welcomed, ping us if you're ever in the vicinity! Our fridge & bar are always well stocked for a good hangout :)

Eletech Cables Stay updated on Eletech Cables at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/eletechsg https://twitter.com/EletechJP https://instagram.com/eletechsg/ https://elementechnology.com/ eric@elementechnology.com
Nov 6, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #964 of 5,653
JPEG image 5.jpeg

Interesting... is that 8 wires? New cable?

Nov 6, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #965 of 5,653
Hopefully i can make my way back in soon~ Still curious about the Socrates. Anybody has any impressions on the Socrates's characteristics and maybe paired to VE8?

Fret not, the Socrates should be back by my side soon, im waiting on a specific socrates pairing with a new I

Interesting... is that 8 wires? New cable?

yes 8w.... :)

Eletech Cables Stay updated on Eletech Cables at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/eletechsg https://twitter.com/EletechJP https://instagram.com/eletechsg/ https://elementechnology.com/ eric@elementechnology.com
Nov 6, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #966 of 5,653
Nov 9, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #967 of 5,653

Sorry that i missed it. Nice review there, @ezekiel77 how would you say as far as the voctals go? The midrange was one of the reasons i fell in love with the VE8 and would not sacrifice any part of the frequency enhancement to give it up. Does the Socrates adds or remove anything from the VE 8 midrange? Heard that it's tube like sounding, will it remove some definition for warmth?

Nov 9, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #968 of 5,653
Sorry that i missed it. Nice review there, @ezekiel77 how would you say as far as the voctals go? The midrange was one of the reasons i fell in love with the VE8 and would not sacrifice any part of the frequency enhancement to give it up. Does the Socrates adds or remove anything from the VE 8 midrange? Heard that it's tube like sounding, will it remove some definition for warmth?

I’ve personally found the Socrates to do the opposite to the midrange. It adds cut, clarity and crunch, which allows it to pop more in the mix relative to the lows or highs. If anything it’ll add to vocal definition, but balanced out with warmth as well.

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #969 of 5,653
Yeah what @Deezel177 said haha.

Socrates is an awesome marriage with VE8, taking away none of the tonal accuracy but increasing note definition and technicality. Notes flow like syrup and are just as sweet too. Perfect for vocals in my book.

Nov 9, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #970 of 5,653
I’ve personally found the Socrates to do the opposite to the midrange. It adds cut, clarity and crunch, which allows it to pop more in the mix relative to the lows or highs. If anything it’ll add to vocal definition, but balanced out with warmth as well.
Yeah what @Deezel177 said haha.

Socrates is an awesome marriage with VE8, taking away none of the tonal accuracy but increasing note definition and technicality. Notes flow like syrup and are just as sweet too. Perfect for vocals in my book.

Thank you for the insights! It does sound exactly like what i would like for the VE8. Was worried that that it would muddy the mids with too much warmth. @Eric Chong, is the Socrates back in for testing yet? Im on leave next week so i'll have some time to pop by

Nov 10, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #971 of 5,653
Thank you for the insights! It does sound exactly like what i would like for the VE8. Was worried that that it would muddy the mids with too much warmth. @Eric Chong, is the Socrates back in for testing yet? Im on leave next week so i'll have some time to pop by

Our Socrates demo will be back in the office midweek next week :) Alternatively you can also head down to Connect IT in 313, they have demo available there too!

Nov 15, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #972 of 5,653
Any recommended pairing with UM Mest? Looking to 'tame' down the treble?

Nov 15, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #973 of 5,653

Hi there,
I've currently got the whole Eletech cable line-up on temporary loan, so have been busy listening to them with my IEMs, including the MEST :)

I'll be posting more on this in the coming week, but to answer your question, I have to say Iliad.

I very much appreciate that this is unlikely to be the answer anyone (myself included) would like to hear, given that a new Iliad costs more than the MEST itself :D
I'll discus in more detail my thoughts about the price factor in the future post, but for now, all I can say is that I tried the Socrates, Plato and Iliad with the MEST this week.

Each brought their own unique qualities to influence the tuning in one way or another, but for my personal hearing, Iliad was the only one that managed to both increase upper mids and treble clarity and detail, but somehow decrease any sharpness or peakiness in those areas at the same time.

Not only that, it made the MEST sound jaw-droppingly good :astonished:
I am already a big fan of the MEST; I think it brings a TOTL, and fairly unique tuning at a *comparatively* very reasonable price (vs $3k to $4k+ flagships).
I honestly think it's up there with any flagship IEM I've heard thus far; huge holographic soundstage, great separation, stunning detail, very well tuned bass, etc etc.

Now keep this context in mind when I say that when I added Iliad to the MEST, it was as if someone had just slapped an extra $2k on the price tag of the MEST, in terms of quality and performance. The Iliad and MEST had a perfect synergy for me

Will write more next week, but, for better or worse - or for richer or poorer lol - those were my findings.
Just the facts Ma'am, just the facts.
Don't shoot the messenger, please :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nov 15, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #974 of 5,653

Start by playing with eartips to tame down the treble, go from wide bore to narrow, silicone to foam, softer to firmer, change the seal by trying size up and down. Cable will give you sound refinement, it can fine-tune the sound to perfection, but don't expect a drastic EQ like changes. If that what you require, most likely the sound sig of MEST is not your cup of tea, bud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back