Elekit 300B Amp kit
Feb 24, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #33 of 369
Seriously considering buying one of these! There are 4x2 options for headphone output impedance apparently - low/high and 4-6.3ohm/8-16 ohm. How,if at all, do these figures relate to headphone impedance, say 300ohm? What is the default value and what are any owners here using? I read on another place that as the output 'z' goes up, the sound gets more full bodied but planktons get muddled up. Bass quantity also seem to rise as output 'z' goes up. For clarity and plankton, this guy settled on lower 1 setting.

Mar 20, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #34 of 369
One year later and still very happy w/ the Elekit. Getting ready to upgrade the Drivers to Telefunken G73R (12AU7 variant). Of all the 300B tubes I've tried (Elrog, Sophia Electric, Takasuki , Valve Art and EH- I prefer the EML. They are the most dynamic. Only down side is they are so tall the front cage cannot fit - though I don't want to cover those nice triodes anyway! Maybe I'm crazy to put such $$$$ tubes in a kit amp - it sounds so good it's just begging for fancy glass:)

Jul 22, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #41 of 369
Has anyone compared to the Bottlehead Mainline? I'd be very interested to hear how the two match up (ultra-premium DIY headphone amps).

The first tube amp I built was the BH Mainline. I built it stock except the Auricap XO output caps. It was also the only tube amp I have ever heard for an extensive period. While I enjoyed it and thought it was a good amp, I did not think it was a significant improvement over my DIY SS amp, the RJM Sapphire v4. A few months later, I purchased the TU-8600R-VK for use with speakers. As I don't have any speakers yet, I thought it would be interesting to hear it with the headphone amp.
My expectation was that if it would sound different, it would probably be subtle and not obvious. Damn I was wrong.... the Elekit was a HUGE improvement over the Mainline.
For the first time, I heard what "air" is. The main improvements for me are the overall tone, the bass (it slams really hard), and layering/3D sound stage.
No upgrades except the Lundahl OPT's and TKD 2CP-601S pot. I used the stock resistors and Nichicon QXP coupling caps which I may replace later on.
The tubes I am using are Gold Lion PX300B, Telefunken ECC83 and RCA Cleartop 12AU7.

How,if at all, do these figures relate to headphone impedance, say 300ohm?
I only tried it on the 1 setting. I'm using it mainly with ZMF Aeolus (300ohm) and rarely with HD650. Works great for both

Of all the 300B tubes I've tried (Elrog, Sophia Electric, Takasuki , Valve Art and EH- I prefer the EML.
Are you using EML-300B or EML-300BXLS ?
I was not sure if the heater regulator would handle the extra 0.25A and there was not a clear answer from Elekit.

Can you name a few.
I am going to pair mine with a Frugel-Horn Mk3 with Fostex FE126En drivers

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #44 of 369
The first tube amp I built was the BH Mainline. I built it stock except the Auricap XO output caps. It was also the only tube amp I have ever heard for an extensive period. While I enjoyed it and thought it was a good amp, I did not think it was a significant improvement over my DIY SS amp, the RJM Sapphire v4. A few months later, I purchased the TU-8600R-VK for use with speakers. As I don't have any speakers yet, I thought it would be interesting to hear it with the headphone amp.
My expectation was that if it would sound different, it would probably be subtle and not obvious. Damn I was wrong.... the Elekit was a HUGE improvement over the Mainline.
For the first time, I heard what "air" is. The main improvements for me are the overall tone, the bass (it slams really hard), and layering/3D sound stage.
No upgrades except the Lundahl OPT's and TKD 2CP-601S pot. I used the stock resistors and Nichicon QXP coupling caps which I may replace later on.
The tubes I am using are Gold Lion PX300B, Telefunken ECC83 and RCA Cleartop 12AU7.
I am going to pair mine with a Frugel-Horn Mk3 with Fostex FE126En drivers

Thanks for the update, much appreciated. I personally moved on from the Mainline to the Linear Tube Audio MZ3, much more air, quieter background, more natural sound and holographic imaging. I agree that the Mainline is a good amp for the price, but it's not an end-game amp (at least for me). I met the Elekit rep last year at CAF and listened to the unit on speakers, I might have to bring my headphones along if I go this year. The LTA MZ3 is shockingly good though, it'll put up a very tough fight.

Did you finish your frugels yet? It's a fun speaker.

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #45 of 369
I am using the EML 300BXLS w/o any problems.

I do have some nice 12AX7s to try at some point. I would not be surprised if that makes a big difference - maybe more so than the 300Bs.

Not to get too far off topic - I built the Pass Amp camp amp kit from DIYaudiostore and for $327 it's hands down the best headamp for the $ I've heard. Extremely simple to build and fun too. If I could not build the Elekit for some reason I'd be very happy w/ this one - though it does not quite have enough drive for the Susvara (mono blocked it would for sure)

https://diyaudiostore.com/products/amp-camp-amp-kit?variant=7072933085218

Users who are viewing this thread

Back