Elekit 300B Amp kit
Jul 22, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #46 of 369
Thanks for the update, much appreciated. I personally moved on from the Mainline to the Linear Tube Audio MZ3, much more air, quieter background, more natural sound and holographic imaging. I agree that the Mainline is a good amp for the price, but it's not an end-game amp (at least for me). I met the Elekit rep last year at CAF and listened to the unit on speakers, I might have to bring my headphones along if I go this year. The LTA MZ3 is shockingly good though, it'll put up a very tough fight.

Did you finish your frugels yet? It's a fun speaker.

The MZ3 looks interesting.. I have not heard much about it.
You described exactly what I experience with the TU-8600, air, black background, and holographic imaging.
I have subsequently sold the Mainline as well, and since this amp will go to speaker use, I'm building another SET design for headphone use.
It is a Tubelab SE based on 45 tubes (but can be easily converted to 2A3 or 300B). I used quality components such as DACT stepped attenuator and ElectraPrint OPT's.
It's not done yet.. I'm really hoping it will meet or exceed the TU-8600 for headphones.

I just received the FH3 flat-pak and apparently it is the last one planet10 had. I'm hoping to build it soon.
BTW, the posts on your blog have inspired me in both accounts (the Mainline and FH3).. great work!

I am using the EML 300BXLS w/o any problems.

Oh, thats great to know! Can you share what improvements it has over the other 300B's? Have you tried the Gold Lion's?

Jul 23, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #47 of 369
LTA uses David Berning's tech, there's nothing like it on the market... and when David stops developing it, sadly I don't think anyone will be following in his footsteps. Not because it's not novel, but I don't think anyone gets it like he does. Mark Schneider, who is producing the latest designs, is far more OCD than I. He obsesses over the smallest details and spares no expense if he experiences an improvement in sound. I honestly don't know how he is making any money. Ceramic PCBs, non-magnetic custom toroid covers, Mundorf caps, Arduino-processed volume control, and absolutely no caps with steel leads. If you want a great sounding amp, make sure to run a magnet over those leads. Even the pricey audiophile options sneak them in. That's a priceless nugget from David Berning.

I know you're a DIYer like myself, tube and solid state (and perhaps hybrid). If you look at the inside of LTA's amps, they follow an unusual topology. The schematics and tech write-ups are pretty foreign. It reminds me a little bit of Chord and their proprietary technology, something that no one else is currently offering. Granted, being in this hobby for as long as I have, I've become extremely averse to marketing hokum... but given how many amps I've put together and I just can't understand Berning's approach makes it pretty interesting in my book. As I get older, and more bored, the things that confuse me intrigue me the most, and I find they are worth obsessing over. Between astrophysics and Berning's tech, I could likely spend many lifetimes trying to wrap my head around each :wink:

Very cool you're working on a Tubelab SE. I actually have all the pieces to build one, but I put it on hold. You chose the right tubes, although expensive the 45s sound like nothing else. I'm pretty sure George put at least one together for someone who wished to use it only for headphones, and I believe the result was quite satisfactory, but I'm going off of memory from many years ago. Between the Elekit and the SE, it will likely come down to the transformers. The ones I'm sitting on are Electraprint, which I'm not sure how they compare to the Lundahl. I know the Lundahl are more pricey.

What's keeping me from building the SE? I'm currently I'm obsessing over 30-40 year old video game consoles which generally need some work to get up and running again... the mosfets and electrolytics are in bad shape, and there's some interesting ways to incorporate new tech to improve things a bit. The following over these things is similar to the DIY audio crowd. In due time I'll lose interest and go back to audio :wink:

So glad you found my blog to be helpful. If you'd like to write a guest post on the Elekit, please feel free to reach out. I have another gent working on a steampunk Crack writeup that will be posted soon.

My apologies for being semi-OT. Back to the Elekit! :D

Oct 10, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #48 of 369
Here’s a few build pictures - I put the TU-8600 VKR together about 3 weeks ago.

https://imgur.com/gallery/gAGInDY

I’ve just put some Telefunken input/driver tubes along with Erlog 300B in and couldn’t be happier. I thought I had heard some the best in amplification with the solid state BHA-1 but this is a whole new level of musical involvement.

AnN7wYy.jpg

Not sure I have too much more to add verbally, other than to say I have the tube bug real bad.

Oct 10, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #49 of 369
Congrats! The TU-8600 is a sublime amp.... I ran mine with Gold Lion PX300B.
Wish I had the chance to hear them with Elrog as well.

Did you make any other upgrades?
Which headphones "transformed" the most on the TU-8600 vs the BHA-1?

Oct 10, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #50 of 369
Congrats! The TU-8600 is a sublime amp.... I ran mine with Gold Lion PX300B.
Wish I had the chance to hear them with Elrog as well.

Did you make any other upgrades?
Which headphones "transformed" the most on the TU-8600 vs the BHA-1?

I ran mine with Golden Lions for the first couple of weeks and enjoyed the sound immensely.

I went all in, Lundahl transformers, TAKMAN 2% resistors, Mundorf caps and TDK pot. I’ve build a few kit amps and while I’m confident at desoldering parts I find the results can be pretty messy. This ones for listening, not experimenting :)

I must admit I’ve mostly been listening with speaker - the same pair I’ve had for 15 years have gained a whole new life.

I lost an entire evening listening with LCD-3s and results with HD800S have also been nothing short of stunning, guitars and other stringed instruments just “hung in the air“.

I have a feeling it’ll be moving out of the living room and into my headphone rig fairly soon.

Nov 17, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #51 of 369
Ummm, new amp from elekit. TU8800 set amp
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/elekit/342879-elekit-tu-8800-set-amp.html

Not a 300b, but interesting. $1185 for base model, then $600 for Lundhal.
Tube for the 8800 should be cheaper than the 8600, since they re not 300b.

I recommend someone here get the itch real bad to build an 8800, then sell me their old 8600 at an awesome price :)

May 12, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #53 of 369
I recommend someone here get the itch real bad to build an 8800, then sell me their old 8600 at an awesome price :)

Nah.. KT88 is simply not 300B SET :smile_phones:

Looks like TU8800 shares similar structure and layout as TU8600, which is not good news since it is PITA to change/service once it's built.
Just to change out coupling caps, I had to dissemble essentially the entire amp including the transformer mounts and whole circuit board since most parts (including coupling caps) are mounted on bottom of the board with no bottom panel on amp to access them.
In addition, if the amp develops problems, it is very difficult to troubleshoot since the transformers sit on top of board and get in the way of board access if one needs the amp to be turned on to troubleshoot :triportsad:

I was hoping Elekit would rectify these issues but guess not...
elekitTU8800.jpg

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #54 of 369
Anyone know what the difference is between the TU-8600R and the TU-8600S?

There's been no mention of internal changes, but the R is discontinued and the S is the new limited run. The big news is the newly designed Lundahl transformers which are available as an upgrade, and I would suggest they are all but mandatory.

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #55 of 369
Has anyone tried the 8600 with Utopia? And has anyone compared it to the Feliks Euforia?

Jun 27, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #57 of 369
Nah.. KT88 is simply not 300B SET :smile_phones:

Looks like TU8800 shares similar structure and layout as TU8600, which is not good news since it is PITA to change/service once it's built.
Just to change out coupling caps, I had to dissemble essentially the entire amp including the transformer mounts and whole circuit board since most parts (including coupling caps) are mounted on bottom of the board with no bottom panel on amp to access them.
In addition, if the amp develops problems, it is very difficult to troubleshoot since the transformers sit on top of board and get in the way of board access if one needs the amp to be turned on to troubleshoot :triportsad:

I was hoping Elekit would rectify these issues but guess not...elekitTU8800.jpg

Really unfortunate. I am considering this amp but dunno. This doesn't seem like good design?

Aug 13, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #58 of 369
You guys really should ditch that Alps Blue Velvet. The Alps is a great choice for a $200 amp but it makes no sense to have it in a $2,000 one. You're kinda driving a Ferrari with Pep Boys tires :wink: Check out the TKD or a stepper if it fits.

Whats funny is some very expensive preamps use RK27 alps pot like the VAC Renaissance V. MSRP is $13-14k . Jesus.

Aug 13, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #59 of 369
What's even more ridiculous is all the overpriced speakers using low cost air motion tweeters. If you look at the below image these are ubiquitously present from $2,500 bookshelves to a $69,999 speaker that was just on the front of Stereophile.

1628871854038.png

They cost $40 a pair on aliexpress.

...it looks like the latest VACs are using ALPS most expensive RK series. They're like $700-800 last I checked. Glad they stepped it up :)

1628872341145.png

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #60 of 369
What's even more ridiculous is all the overpriced speakers using low cost air motion tweeters. If you look at the below image these are ubiquitously present from $2,500 bookshelves to a $69,999 speaker that was just on the front of Stereophile.

1628871854038.png
They cost $40 a pair on aliexpress.

...it looks like the latest VACs are using ALPS most expensive RK series. They're like $700-800 last I checked. Glad they stepped it up :)

1628872341145.png

Correct me if im wrong but I think the VAC Master has that pot too. And maybe even sig mk2a SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back