Electrostats : How to start?
May 20, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #62 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does the koss esp 950 prefer higher bias solid state or tube amps?

quick question for those that have / had them:
$450 Koss or rs-1?

If you can get a nice amp like a Stax SRM-T1, then get the Koss and put a stax cable on them as soon as you can. (about $1400-1500 total)

If all you can use is the stock Koss E90 amp for a long time to follow, then the RS-1 with an inexpensive Cavalli Compact Tube Hybrid or Millett Starving Student Hybrid or Head-direct EF1 would be a good choice. (about $800-950 total)

May 20, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #63 of 95
regarding my yet to receive set STAX SR-LAMBDA + STAX SRD-7SB, what kind of differences does the amp should make on the overall sound?

Is it just the juice being pumped onto the SRD7 to power the cans or does the inherent sound qualities of the amp somehow affect sound reproduction?

May 20, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #65 of 95
My J...A...D...I...S sound on them Lambdas? Please... lead me on!
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #66 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by xaval /img/forum/go_quote.gif
regarding my yet to receive set STAX SR-LAMBDA + STAX SRD-7SB, what kind of differences does the amp should make on the overall sound?

Very noticeable difference!
The SRD-7 is quite "transparent" and hence the sound signature of the speaker amplifier used to run it show through to the 'phones. Warm, neutral, detailed, sparkling, powerful, ...

I have (sadly) only tried solid state amplifiers myself, but tubes may be well worth it.

May 20, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #67 of 95
Let's see then how my 60W of class A tube-aroos deal with the beast. I was looking into one of my SS integrateds, but if the SRD7SB can pull out some serious sound off the DA60 I'm sure I'll have an eargasm if the Lambdas are any good! Let's just hope they don't show up in pieces or something lol

May 20, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #68 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by xaval /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's see then how my 60W of class A tube-aroos deal with the beast. I was looking into one of my SS integrateds, but if the SRD7SB can pull out some serious sound off the DA60 I'm sure I'll have an eargasm if the Lambdas are any good! Let's just hope they don't show up in pieces or something lol

The SR-Lambda/SRD-7SB with the DA60 should give serious competition to your HD600 rig in some areas, and in other areas beat it.

May 20, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #69 of 95
Be still my heart!
wink.gif

Best if I don't get over excited with this... it's meant to be just an experiment...

May 21, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #71 of 95
I'm interested in possibly dabbing into Stax, but...

How much power can Stax take? My amp is 150wpc (8ohms) / 250wpc (4ohms) and I'm concerned that it might be wayyy too much.

My other option is my Zero, but would that be enough?

May 21, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #72 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by freckling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested in possibly dabbing into Stax, but...

How much power can Stax take? My amp is 150wpc (8ohms) / 250wpc (4ohms) and I'm concerned that it might be wayyy too much.

My other option is my Zero, but would that be enough?

Just don't turn the amp up higher than to 8-12 watts or so. It will be quite loud at that point.

May 21, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #73 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just don't turn the amp up higher than to 8-12 watts or so. It will be quite loud at that point.

would a zero be insufficient?

May 21, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #74 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by freckling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would a zero be insufficient?

You need a speaker amp for the SRD-7 transformers that drive the stax, or you need an electrostatic amp to drive the stax directly. You could use the Zero as a source for your amps, but I have read that it isn't a good source for stats in this thread, because the stats are too revealing of the flaws. Do a search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back