Electrostat can to contrast with O2
Aug 30, 2008 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

bada bing

100+ Head-Fier
I'm coming into a little bit of "free" money next month. My wallet had been on life support since jumping on the BHSE list, but it's on the mend now. I'm thinking about getting something to contrast with my 007 mkI for use on the BHSE and it's also time to decide on plugs for the BHSE.

I'm considering:
Used HE60
Koss ESP950
Stax 4070
HE 1.2b (if it ever materializes)

Anyone have a suggestion (from experience) on a can (doesn't have to be on my list) that has a worthwhile but different presentation from the O2 ? I have no gripes about the O2 so I'm looking for contrast, not replacement. I have no other 'stat experience except an hour with a pair of Lambdas. I'm genuinely interested but don't necessarily "have" to buy anything. My budget is $1500 - or less is always better - so something over the top like a HE90 isn't in the cards.

Can 1500 get me something "worth it" or would I be better off putting the money aside for next years speaker purchase (I know, blasphemy)
Anyone ?

Aug 30, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #2 of 21
I have experience with the Used HE60 & Koss ESP950, but not the Stax 4070 or HE 1.2b (was VERY tempted but didn't get in in time
rolleyes.gif
)

Based on my experience and what I've read I'd be looking at the HE60 or HE 1.2b. Both scale up well with an amp like the BHSE. Price wise I think that points you towards the HE 1.2b
wink_face.gif

Aug 30, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 21
Hi bada bing,

For myself the Stax 4070 gives a fine contrast to the esthetic SR-007(A/II) in terms of punchiness and crispness.
And with its spatiality and accentuated upper range the 4070 complements IME the Ω's somewhat dreaminess and narrow head stage.
I love these heavy humongous closets!
o2smile.gif
<-- twice as big/much
wink.gif

Aug 30, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 21
^^ that was my thinking as well. of course we don't know when the 1.2B will be available for purchase and more importantly due to whatever modifications they made, however slight, how they will sound. if previous performance is any indication though, the 1.2B will certainly be a headphone to own.

Aug 30, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 21
Another thing to keep in mind is that it is HIGHLY unlikely that a setup contoured around the O2 will be favorable to the 1.2Bs. You may not be happy with the plug and play results.

I still have not nailed down the most favorable ICs yet for the 1.2Bs. I still very much need to try some gold and palladium with them. But with one amp, you would likely end up with a different tube compliment for both.

Just something to think about.

Aug 30, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 21
I think you might find a Sigma Pro or a Sigma/404 (i.e. a Sigma with 404 drivers and low capacitance cable) worth considering.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sig...dphone-175556/

The pro's are a bit hard to find. The 404 mod you would have to have done yourself. It cost me about $500.00 to have broken low bias Sigma remade as a Sigma/404 by the US distributor.

I personally think the Sigma line is remarkable for its almost-successful ability to get around the in-the-head quality of virtually all other phones. The pro line gives good deal more oomph than the low bias, although I also like the low bias set. With the 404 mod you get the 404 dynamics plus better detail and treble response.

BTW are you getting a low bias capability with your amp? I think some of the low bias Stax such as Sigmas, SRXII and Lambdas are worth having around.

Aug 31, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #11 of 21
^^ the O2 and HE60 definitely give you a different presentation of the music. i like them both. the HE60 is quite engaging and lively but i would say the O2 is the better or more technically precise headphone. the 1.2B also, if memory serves, provides a good contrast to the O2, so that is at least two options.

Aug 31, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #12 of 21
All good info to mull over. Thanks for the input so far. It's useful & appreciated.

I'm leaning towards wating to see what comes of the HE1.2b. If nothing develops, then I'll have another decision to think on.

As a parallel question, for people waiting on the BHSE, what output bias/socket combos are you going with ? Is anyone configuring with the idea of a future headphone purchase rather than just accomodating what they presently have ?

Aug 31, 2008 at 9:40 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by bada bing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a parallel question, for people waiting on the BHSE, what output bias/socket combos are you going with ? Is anyone configuring with the idea of a future headphone purchase rather than just accomodating what they presently have ?

I'm going with two Stax Pro sockets since that's what will get most use and if I ever want to use some other bias system I'll just use one of my adapter cables.

Aug 31, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #14 of 21
2 Stax Pro sockets here - I figured I won't go with anything Sennheiser and even if I do, there are always converters.

Aug 31, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #15 of 21
I find the 4070 to be a really nice contrast and companion to the Omega 2.
A nice team indeed!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back