Electronica fans, bought "Geogaddi" yet?
Jul 25, 2002 at 4:21 AM Post #31 of 39
Had to resurrect this thread. I just listened to Music Has the Right to Children again last night. What a phenomenal album. Boards of Canada is simply superb. Thanks again to Mr. NickDangerous for bringing this to my attention.

I just went back through this thread to glean any other recommendations. I'm going to check out Bola, Lutz Glandien and Autechre (although based on posts here, they appear to be less melodic/more beat-driven than the others mentioned).

Thanks, guys!!!

Jul 25, 2002 at 4:42 AM Post #32 of 39
I haven't seen many techno/electronica threads, so I'll post here. ...

I don't listen to a lot of stuff that's considered techno or electronica, but I enjoy a lot of hybrid techno-rock -- think Prodigy, Gravity Kills, Stabbing Westward, Grand Theft Audio. I also like some of the more interesting dance stuff, though maybe not just to sit there and listen to. These include Darude, a bit of The Crystal Method and Zombie Nation -- well, I think Darude's the only guy I actually like a lot of stuff from.

Anyway, how does Boards of Canada sound compared to some of those groups? I know there's a ton of different sub-genres of techno and electronica, and I'd like to learn a bit more about them. Any suggestions on what to take a listen at?

kerelybonto

Jul 26, 2002 at 1:24 PM Post #33 of 39
I just got into electronica/IDM somewhat a few months ago. Picked up some Boards of Canada and Autechre. Good stuff.

Here are 2 other that IMO are fantastic:

To Rococo Rot: The Amateur View
Dntel: Life Is Full Of Possibilites

oh yeah... I have some Mum mp3s that sound promising. They are on my wish list.

Jul 26, 2002 at 5:15 PM Post #34 of 39
I love "Music..." (and I don't use the word 'love' lightly here either - I really think this album is stunning!) but I just can't seem to get into "Geogaddi".

Oct 29, 2002 at 6:32 AM Post #35 of 39
For those just starting into this kind of electronica, here is sort of a guide. I'll just stick to probably the three most well known artists; Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, and Autechre. Although definitely also go for Squarepusher, and the many earlier guises of Aphex Twin (Afx, polygon window, caustic window, ect.) and Gescom (if you can find it)

Boards of Canada: I guess I'm in the minority here, but this is the boc album i started with and I think it's the best. But then, I'm the type to buy every release by a group if i like them enough. Needless to say, I have every boc release and am eagerly awaiting the repressing of Twoism.

Autechre: I am a firm beliver in diving headfirst into an artist's most challenging work. The first Autechre album I bought was Confield, but I'm going to reccomend both EP7 and LP5, unfortuneatly two of the most difficult albums to get a hold of in the US (although if you live in portland, everyday music is a pretty good place to look.) One word: AMAZON. This is group that is so diverse, not one of their records is redundant. EP7 and LP% are drastically different both from each other and from the rest of the Autechre catalog. Every single song on each is a classic. Just get the mwhile you still can.

Aphex Twin: I Care Because You Do. Hands down one of the best electronica records out there. This guy is the father of this type of music, and the record is the epitome of his career. Has the bonus of being very easy to find in the US.

You'll notice that i didnt really describe the sound of any of these records. One reason is that it's pretty hard to do that, but I figure if you're reading this thread, you want to try new types of music, or have maybe heard one or two songs from these guys.

Oct 30, 2002 at 3:29 PM Post #37 of 39
I'm really with Dead Voices on Air with the whole BoC craze this year when they did a track recently called 'Bored of Canada'. Short of BoC's 'Maxima' album which is really one I still will listen to even now, I've been rather let down with their other releases. I think Autechre held my interest more than any other group on the Warp label.

As far as Autechre is concerned, I seriously have never heard a better IDM album than 'Tri-Repetae', which is fortunately for us Americans now packaged as 'Tri-Repetae++' which includes a second disc consisting of the 'Anvil Vapre' and 'Garbage' EPs. Although, I really suggest the album 'Amber' if you're not used to the more experimental music.

Autechre's new EP, which comes in a DVD/CD set entitled 'Gantz_Graf' has probably the most insane music video I've ever seen with an equally chaotic track to match and probably should be avoided by anyone scared off by any other albums mentioned here. I can't think of any sort of genre to compare it to, as it's not the level of extreme of say power electronics (Whitehouse, Merzbow, Grey Wolves) or even really like the new wave of noise industrial (like Synapscape, Hypnoskull and Converter). It's still sorta IDM, if you listen hard enough to decipher its constant barrage of assaulting razor sharp beats.

One artist not many are aware of might be of interest to some of you. Unfortunately his albums are only pressed in quantities of 500 or so when he releases 'em, but check out Shuttle358 if you're interested in almost mathmatical yet relaxing ambient which has been sneaking into rotation among more standard synth ambient fare like Steve Roach, Vidna Obmana and the legendary Michael Steans.

Oct 31, 2002 at 2:03 AM Post #38 of 39
Gantz Graf rocks! Easy to find, too. I think Nothing has released a few Ae albums in the US, but totally mangles their cover art. Oh well, its the only way to get them without ordering direct from warpp.

Nov 4, 2002 at 12:15 AM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by ProtoCat
Autechre's new EP, which comes in a DVD/CD set entitled 'Gantz_Graf' has probably the most insane music video I've ever seen with an equally chaotic track to match and probably should be avoided by anyone scared off by any other albums mentioned here. I can't think of any sort of genre to compare it to, as it's not the level of extreme of say power electronics (Whitehouse, Merzbow, Grey Wolves) or even really like the new wave of noise industrial (like Synapscape, Hypnoskull and Converter). It's still sorta IDM, if you listen hard enough to decipher its constant barrage of assaulting razor sharp beats.

I think the video actually helped me "decode" the music. It makes a lot more sense while watching the video. I basically agree with your description. And DVoA rawk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back