Electronica fans, bought "Geogaddi" yet?
May 8, 2002 at 10:59 PM Post #16 of 39
Markl,

What CD club are you a member of? Can you provide details?

Now that Napster has gone the way of the dodo, it's hard to check out music suggestions or new music without paying through the nose.

If I could get CDs at a good discount, I wouldn't feel so bad about buying something I hadn't heard on the off chance that I might like it.

May 8, 2002 at 11:06 PM Post #17 of 39
ellipsis,
I'm in both BMG and Columbiahouse. BMG is by far the best for deals-- they will bombard you with offers. I've just about exhausted the titles BMG has that I want.

This CD was from columbiahouse, which has *slightly* better selection but offers fewer deals.

Service from both is AWFUL, UNDESCRIBABLY BAD! Beware! There is a PRICE TO PAY FOR THOSE CHEAP CD's!!!!!!!!!!

markl

May 9, 2002 at 12:46 AM Post #18 of 39
Thanks for the recommendation, Nick!

I listened to some tracks from both of these albums on Amazon, and I am definitely going to go buy one of these, probably Music Has the Right to Children.

Thanks, again.

May 9, 2002 at 3:50 AM Post #19 of 39
Music... is more up beat---happier. Geogaddi is kick back---darker. Both very good. If I had to choose one it would be Music... .

May 9, 2002 at 4:27 AM Post #20 of 39
I prefer Music has the Right to Children also, but I can't really say it's because of the happy/sad thing (it is?), it's just more me.

Also recommended to you BoC fans: Lutz Glandien -- The 5th Elephant.

May 9, 2002 at 4:31 AM Post #21 of 39
Went to Barnes & Nobles - couldn't find Music..., so I bought Geogaddi.

Very interesting album. I like it. Although I like electronic music, I'm not usually a huge fan of techno. This album is definitely not techno. It's certainly darker and has much more musical variation than the typical techno/ambient album. I think this is an album that requires repeated listening to fully appreciate. I've got it on repeat whilst I burn-in a new CD player.

I found it interesting to hear how often they used children's voices in the songs (not to mention all the pictures inside the liner).

Cool album. I probably never would have known these guys were out there without reading this thread. Thanks!

May 9, 2002 at 5:23 PM Post #22 of 39
Hmmmmmmm...

Well I gave "Music.." a spin last night, and I'm not sure I can give a thumbs up.

To me, this sounded suspiciously like Aphex Twin and that group radiohead loves that are like Aphex Twin but whose name I now forget. I believe this genre is called "intelligent dance music." In other words, repetitious blips and bleeps that acts as if black music doesn't exist. All traces of funk have been surgically removed. This music is sterilized, pasteurized and bland, bland, bland. I'm not sure how much "intelligence" is involved in its creation, or how much is "required" to listen to it, but either BOC blew it, or I don't qualify.

I guess I don't know what I'm supposed to "do" with music like this. I sat there waiting and waiting and waiting through each song thinking, "no this can't be "it". In just a few more seconds, *something's going to happen*. I just know it. 2:00 still nothing, 3:00 minutes still nothing, 4:00 goodbye! Then there are the little pastiches of sound that flit in and out between "songs" that begin, go nowhere and then stop 30 seconds later.

Also, it's not even "trippy" enough to entertain you on a "special effects" kind of level.

To me these aren't "songs", I really don't know what they are. I don't know if I have the patience to sit through this again to let it work the magic it obviously does on others.

Not trying to be a "poop" or a philistine, just giving my opinion.

markl

May 9, 2002 at 5:55 PM Post #23 of 39
markl, I'm not a BoC convert yet; I've only heard 2 of their songs. The first, roygbiv, didn't grab me, but the 2nd one, A Beautiful Place In The Country, was stunning. It has more trippiness imho. Happy funkin'.

p.s. I HATE that godforsaken IDM tag. Its such a putoff, really. Its insulting to other dance music. I don't listen to techno, but I wouldn't call it stupid dance music (well maybe after an hors d' oeuvre with Grey Poupon or two.)

May 10, 2002 at 1:21 AM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by JohnActon
Went to Barnes & Nobles - couldn't find Music..., so I bought Geogaddi.

Very interesting album. I like it. Although I like electronic music, I'm not usually a huge fan of techno. This album is definitely not techno. It's certainly darker and has much more musical variation than the typical techno/ambient album. I think this is an album that requires repeated listening to fully appreciate. I've got it on repeat whilst I burn-in a new CD player.

I found it interesting to hear how often they used children's voices in the songs (not to mention all the pictures inside the liner).

Cool album. I probably never would have known these guys were out there without reading this thread. Thanks!

Hello my Ohio neighbor.. I'm up in Cleveland.. I love Used Kids, haven't been there in a few years!

Have you heard Autechre? After listening to GEOGADDI a few more times, they remind me more of Autechre than anyone else I've heard (though my electronica experience leans more towards dub and trip hop). I would suggest their album Amber as a good place to start.. really trippy and spacy, but also quite stunning sonically.

-Mason

May 10, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #25 of 39
hey, BoC are actually generally considered the stand-out in the Warp Records sound precisely because they dont sound like Autechre. Autechre are generally considered more beat-driven and kind-of jerky and noisy (at least the later, 1996-on stuff), where BoC are more about melodies and atmospheres, and less about beats. if you'll notice most of their beats are a lot simpler than Autechre, and most of the elements they use are a lot more recognizable. i do agree that a lot of Amber does sound like BoC, although im not sure how indicative that album is of the Ae sound

May 10, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #26 of 39
Masonjar,

Howdy, neighbor! Haven't been to Cleveland for awhile. I worked up there for six months or so, a few years ago, and I came up for an Indians game last summer. Very cool town.

Yep, Used Kids is cool. So is Magnolia Thunder*****. Great deals on used stuff. Actually, there's a really cool record store up there in Cleveland (Westlake, actually), but I can't remeber the name.

I'll check out Autechre. I may be admitting to my own naivete, but I've never even heard the name. Admittedly, though, I don't really get into much techno/ambient, and only picked up Boards of Canada 'cause I read about it here.

May 10, 2002 at 3:42 AM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by JohnActon
Masonjar,

Howdy, neighbor! Haven't been to Cleveland for awhile. I worked up there for six months or so, a few years ago, and I came up for an Indians game last summer. Very cool town.

Yep, Used Kids is cool. So is Magnolia Thunder*****. Great deals on used stuff. Actually, there's a really cool record store up there in Cleveland (Westlake, actually), but I can't remeber the name.

I'll check out Autechre. I may be admitting to my own naivete, but I've never even heard the name. Admittedly, though, I don't really get into much techno/ambient, and only picked up Boards of Canada 'cause I read about it here.

I bet you're thinking of My Generation.. that's ONE of the great stores up here, my friend runs a store in Lakewood called My Mind's Eye, specializing in heavy rock, metal and punk. A great store if you like old 70's underground rock, prog and kraut rock too. I was at My Generation last night and picked up Cul de Sac's Crashes to Light - very cool modern instrumental post-rock that has hints of everything from 70's prog rock to surf rock. Neat stuff, and it's a wonderful high definition recording. And they're coming to town next week!

-Mason

May 10, 2002 at 4:25 AM Post #28 of 39
masonjar, Cul de Sac has been on my wish list for a while. Let us know how they are live.

markl, could it be you dont care for this genre/type of music? BoC's Music... is considered one of the best.

BoC and Autechre are great to play in the car.

May 10, 2002 at 4:58 AM Post #29 of 39
Agreed.... Autchere makes challenging music in the drill-n-bass style much like Squarepusher. Autchere isn't in the same genre as BoC. Not quite.

If BoC is your cup of tea... seek out Bola. He seems to be able to tap into the same part of the brain as BoC. Not surprisingly, Bola was released on the SKAM label, same as BoC.

Seek out "Soup" and "Fyuti". Excellent stuff. Take my word for it. Use Audiogalaxy if you must. Bola stuff is hard to find.

Heh... Bola Soup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back