Electronic music fans - Headphones discussion thread
Aug 27, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #46 of 80
  In two weeks ill see these guys :D

Ooh nice! Have fun and try and not focus on SQ 
redface.gif

Sep 1, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #49 of 80
Yes this thread is much better then the other one.
No more hentai strange music

I cant wait to hear Focals with electronic music

Sep 1, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #50 of 80
I think this thread is to discuss gear for electronic music, not post electronic music ?
Anyway, been quietly learning here and some nice monitor set-ups posted that I'd never heard of.

Edit : oh I just saw its music as well..

Sep 1, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #51 of 80
There's no harm in posting a little music.

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #52 of 80
  I think this thread is to discuss gear for electronic music, not post electronic music ?
Anyway, been quietly learning here and some nice monitor set-ups posted that I'd never heard of.

Edit : oh I just saw its music as well..

Maybe the TS needs to chime in here; but I read the title as being about headphones, for electronic music.

So, if this is his meaning, then posting music is OT. If it isn't, then he needs to change the thread title (....and move the thread to another category).

Personally, I've no problem with some OT. But, it's got to be kept to a minimum, so as not to hijack the thread.

Yeah, no doubt, the love of music is the main reason why most of us are here; but the search for the best ways to hear that music (the equipment) has surely got to be maintained as the main conversation point. 
redface.gif

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #53 of 80
Hi all. Jus found this thread.

I've always been well into electronic music, and with using headphones, that's probably more true than ever: for me, the tonal inaccuracies of the replay equipment are less obvious, with electronica; with live music, or real instruments, my brain has much more of an expectation of what the real instrument/venue should sound like.
Electronic music is much more unique: it's harder to quantify what an electronically created sound should really sound like. So, I can just relax and enjoy. Oh, and electronic music tends to have plenty of bass! 
biggrin.gif

I'm currently using the LCD2f. Their sound is good, but (like most headphones) I think more weight, body, substance, solidity, or deep bass is needed. Thinking about my next, next, upgrade (after the amp), I'm wondering if anybody, around here, has made comparisons between the HE6 and LCD-X?

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #54 of 80

Maybe the TS needs to chime in here; but I read the title as being about headphones, for electronic music.

So, if this is his meaning, then posting music is OT. If it isn't, then he needs to change the thread title (....and move the thread to another category).

Personally, I've no problem with some OT. But, it's got to be kept to a minimum, so as not to hijack the thread.

Yeah, no doubt, the love of music is the main reason why most of us are here; but the search for the best ways to hear that music (the equipment) has surely got to be maintained as the main conversation point. 
redface.gif

I agree. The Electronic Music Exchange thread still suits the purpose of sharing them electro vibes here quite well, and whatever someone was complaining about with the likes of hentai music (which doesn't exist) was so 2015

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #55 of 80
Also I've demo'ed the Focal Elear and Utopia a few times in a quiet listening room at a meet. The Utopia is just that - absolute utopia! Sonic divinity! The Utopia is like the best combination between the sound of the HD800 & Stax SR-009, but the Elear is like a HD-800 wannabe with a very similar signature yet smaller soundstage. Unfortunately they are both slightly bass shy on the neutral bass spectrum, and may be more suitable for percussive / analogue music IMO. I still think the Utopia is worth $4,000 and want it!

Sep 2, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #56 of 80
Also I've demo'ed the Focal Elear and Utopia a few times in a quiet listening room at a meet. The Utopia is just that - absolute utopia! Sonic divinity! The Utopia is like the best combination between the sound of the HD800 & Stax SR-009, but the Elear is like a HD-800 wannabe with a very similar signature yet smaller soundstage. Unfortunately they are both slightly bass shy, and may be more suitable for percussive / analogue music IMO. I still think the Utopia is worth $4,000 and want it!

Did you try EDM with the Utopia?

I'm told bass is still quite enjoyable on the Utopia when the track calls for it.

Sep 2, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #58 of 80
My favorite headphones for drum 'n' bass and such have always been modded T50RPs, however I have begun to prefer a more realistic sound with better imaging (a la modded HD800, with ample power) thus one can appreciate the extra mid and treble resolution from a can such as the HD800 

The Alpha Dogs are superb in the mids as a custom T50, the HD800 modded can give some unforgettable experiences

SD modded HD800 with Sonarworks unlimited flat preset EQ is my weapon of choice.. perhaps missing the ultimate planar slam, but everything else that I want is there, openess, resolution, subbass (many people would be shocked how well the drivers can handle it)

I'd agree with that statement and am interested to look into the Sonarworks more

Quote:

HE-6 with FirstWatt F6 = best ive ever heard, my previous setup.

My friend @dill3000 made me an F6 for my HE-6s and since then he's modded it with an F7 board, so dual power supplies etc etc

Hello.

Do you maybe have any recommendations for a 300-400€ price range headphones? I'm looking for a sound signature (as close as it gets for the available budget) described by Jozurr in the frist post as I mainly listen to techno.

Basically I haven't had any headphones worth more than 30€. Ofcourse I'm also willing to invest in an AMP and in a DAC to drve them properly.

Thanks!

I may be shot down in flames for this , but I think headphones that have the biigest sound tend to need amping and are not particularly sensitive. I'd try and get a listen to some  Alpha Dogs at that price level 

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #59 of 80
  On second thought I may have tried one EDM leaning song with the Utopia and was impressed. I was tired last night and may have mis-spoke. But if anything it's bass is on the neutral side

Might you may have misspoken on the Elear as well? I don't think any of the impressions I've read have alluded to them sounding anything like the HD-800. In general, they are perceived as warmer, less resolving and more closed-in than the Utopia. And if there's anything the HD-800 is not, it's warmish, lol.

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #60 of 80
Incidentally, great thread! I felt instantly at home here and have been meaning to post for quite some time, but I find that I'm frequenting Head-Fi less and less these days. I suspect there are several factors at play, but the main reason, I guess, is that I've found my true love The One my endgame.

I have been listening to electronic music almost exclusively since about 1991, but my first "serious" headphone was an Ultrasone Pro 900. Nice and bassy for sure, but the mids were really lacking and the phone was not very resolving altogether. After thousands of hours on Head-Fi, my next stop was the Fostex TH-900, and I must say it was something of a letdown. Contrary to quite a lot of folks here, I have to say that I, personally, don't find it that well-suited for electronic music, or should we say Techno.
eek.gif
 Yep, there it is. I actually consider that as something of a myth, although the sheer number of people believing in it would make it true in a way, I guess. Also, since I'm about the only one who differs from the consensus here, that probably means I'm the one who's clueless. The thing is, I actually find its midbass somewhat lacking compared to its undeniable subbass qualities. I therefore feel that it's really suited for Hip-Hop and perhaps also the more subbass-driven genres of the electronic music variety. I guess it's alright for Dubstep, "Brostep", and what a lot of people call EDM these days. But when I bought it, I hoped/expected the kickdrums would really smash my skull in, which, disappointingly, was not the case. Somehow, the kicks always seemed to get swallowed by the subbass. What was worse, though, was that the highs would continue to ram hot needles in my ears, somthing I could never quite get over. Much too harsh for my taste, and not a good match with the Hugo I bought at the same time. An expensive lesson learned: Don't buy blind. Simple as that. Should be obvious, really, but I thought I could go with what everyone else was heaping praise on. Well, turns out I couldn't.

So, the quest continued. I went to a meet and brought the TH-900 to compare to other cans. There were a lot of headphones there, but every single one of them had something I didn't like. I quickly got the feeling that my setup was not so bad after all compared to all of these. Still, I just wasn't quite there yet. Then along came the Pioneer SE-Master1. It had everything the TH-900 was missing: It sounded much fuller, almost speaker-like, with an incredible soundstage, the highs were less piercing, it was just all-around much, muuuch more pleasant to listen to. Incredible imaging, loads and loads of air around the "instruments". A very airy sound, and so well-balanced throughout the entire spectrum. It was love at first listen, and even when I was at home, I couldn't stop thinking about this incredible headphone. The SE-M1 has often been described as a mix of HD-800 and TH-900, and while I'm not a fan of the former, I really think it rivals its much-praised spatial qualities while adding the fun element of the TH-900 without the Fostex's shortcomings that, in the end, made it impossible for me to enjoy its strengths (of which there really are not that many except subbass, IMO).

Long story short: the SE-M1 has cured me of any need to upgrade, or rather sidegrade, because I can't for the life of me figure out what an "upgrade" could sound like. It's just exactly my thing. I have to add that since I bought it, I find that my musical preferences have been shifting away from the hard, pumping Techno styles towards the more playful, trancy, melodic side of things and even starting to listen to classical music sometimes because it just sounds so incredible. It could also just be me getting older ... 
redface.gif
 However, I think what's happening is that the Master is helping me appreciate other things in music, like the crisp production of some Björk songs (check out the "Vespertine" album if you haven't) or the air around the violins in a Mahler piece, for example. Also, I think I enjoy some Techno tracks of the Berghain variety more on closed headphones where I can actually feel the air being pushed against my eardrums (don't do this at home, kid, or at least not to often). So, in the end I decided to keep the TH-900 for the time being as a complementary headphone, but, honestly, it's not getting a lot of headtime anymore. If Pro 900 >> TH-900, then TH-900 >>>>>> Pioneer SE-Master1, and I now consider it my very first High-end" headphone, because it has all the qualities I associate with attribute.
Well, that's how I hear it, at least -- which is the only thing that counts.  
tongue.gif

tl;dr: Always listen before you buy. And then buy the SE-M1. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back