Electronic music fans - Headphones discussion thread
Jul 2, 2016 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

Jozurr

Headphoneus Supremus
This thread is a hunt for the ultimate setup for electronic music fans. I've been into electronic music for a very long time and a very regular clubber. Mostly into techno, deep house and minimal.

Ideal sound

Funktion One system at Berghain

The best setup Ive ever heard in my life which I'd like to replicate the closest to, are the Funktion One dance stacks at the Berghain club in Berlin ("ideal setup"). In the centre of the main floor. every beat feels like someone kicking your heart. The sound is extremely transparent, clean, and non sibilant. The bells sound life like and the tings tickle you. I've heard hundreds of club systems across many countries, including multiple funktion one setups (ranging from very good to poor), but nothing sounds to me like the stacks at berghain.

Other important mention when it comes to speakers would be the Void acoustics system (best arrangement heard at Globus at Tresor, Berlin).However, I've heard very good void systems at many places.

Sound signature hunt

The sound signature I'm hunting for is similar to the set up above. Clean hard hitting bass with ample sub bass that does not drown out the mids ands highs. Bass slam is important. Highs need to be clean and non-sibilant, as a lof of electronic music tends to be poorly recorded, specially when it comes to treble, so piecry/shouty/sibilant highs are fatiguing and not enjoyable. The treble still  has to be energetic and present. Words like laid back, mellow, romantic don't apply. Basshead galores drowning out high hats don't apply. Sound stage does not need big enough to make me feel like Im too far from the speakers (looking at you HE-1000) and is secondary to the above traits. I think we can all agree to this signature, unless you have other ideas which I'd love to hear.

Current setup 

I'm not a fan of discussing full setups on their own, as there are many variables. What I'd like to discuss is headphones which sound the best with electronic music and the setups in relation to them to make them sound the best.

The headphones that sound the closest to the ideal setup for me, are the Hifiman HE-6. I started with driving them with a vintage Sansui amp, moving on to the Parasound P3 Preamp and Parasound A21 Power amp (250W into 8 ohms). Then I bought the Cavalli Liquid Glass which I now run as a preamp (RCA grey glass tubes) to the Parasound A21, which brought a more engaging factor to the music. All of this out of the Audio-GD DAC-19.

I've heard most TOTL headphones excluding Abyss, K. Odin and Pioneer Master 1 and LCD-4 (off the top of my mind and not missing any other major one).

Current top 5 favourite headphones

1) Hifiman HE-6
2) LFF Code-X
3) ZMF Omni
4) LFF Enigmas
5) Hifiman HE-500

I'm not counting the DJ headphones (specifically HD-25-1 II as I can't listen to them over a period of time due to them hurting my ears, but they're very good sounding headphones). 

I'd love to hear firstly and foremostly, what headphones do you guys think sound very good with electronic music. Also, what sound you're looking for when it comes to electronic music and what setup you are using to drive your headphones towards your dream setup. 

Random musings and thoughts, quick impressions and banter all welcome. Or drop in just to say hi. Thread bashing, unnecessary arguments  and jabs not welcome. 

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 80
I've spent much time with the Funktion One system at Berghain and I agree, for electronic music & techno in particular it's the best system I've ever heard.

I've heard most TOTL headphones but have only spent a bit of time with the Abyss and have not listened to the LCD4 yet. So far I think the HE-6 is still the closest to the requirements you listed, especially for techno since it has the bass slam. However, my headphone of choice right now is the HE1000. The sound staging, imaging and clarity is IMO superior to the HE-6 and since I enjoy all kinds of electronic music not just the genres that require a hard hitting sound it meets my needs. For techno in particular the HE1000 just doesn't have the bass slam. My perfect headphone for electronic music would be the HE1000 with the impact of the HE-6. Perhaps spending some more time with the Abyss or LCD4 could change that but from what I've read they don't have the sound stage capabilities of the HE1000.

In the meantime, for techno I have my Mackie HR824 studio monitors which does a marvelous job at a very clean hard hitting sound.

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #3 of 80
  The best setup Ive ever heard in my life which I'd like to replicate the closest to, are the Funktion One dance stacks at the Berghain club in Berlin ("ideal setup").

Frankly, I find Berghain's main room setup a bit too stabby and bleepy for my liking, last I visited, albeit a few years ago. Panorama Bar however, was tops. Not going to name a personal best, as memory of these things is fickle, often clouded by the music. I'd take Floating Points* in a crappy bar over Marcel "cannot mix" Dettman in Berghain any night.

The experiences that stick to mind were probably Twilo NY around the turn of the millennium, Zouk Singapore circa 2002-2006, Womb Tokyo (though that has deteriorated a bit over the years), Bongo in Edinburgh.... oh, and Fabric Room 1 obviously, all of which I rate above Berghain's main room. Special mention to Plastic People (RIP), and The Robert Johnson, though that just might be the vibe and the selectors playing when I was present.

Edit:
* Since I mentioned Floating Points, I think the best place (though not necessarily considered a club) I've heard him play was at Brilliant Corners (London) on their first anniversary party towards the end of 2014. Truly exceptional sound.

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 80
Panorama bars sound system needs an update, its kinda gone downhill over the years. It needs retuned or something. As far as Berghain goes, the closest I have gotten is my Abyss...played LOUD.

It really depends on the music being played, and the room. The funktion ones in Berghain are perfect for techno, and that room. A lot of clubs seem to be trying to replicate that sound, buying funktion ones and turning them up loud, and it just doesn't work. Different rooms and music need different speakers, and most importantly, different tuning.

But yeah, Abyss AB-1266, on a good system, played loudly is the closest I have managed headphone wise. LCD-4 is killer with electronic music, but not an approximation of Berghain, it is too intimate. 

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 80

I'd take Floating Points* in a crappy bar over Marcel "cannot mix" Dettman in Berghain any night.

tongue.gif
 Actually laughed out loud. 

Jul 2, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #6 of 80
I'd vote for the modded Fostex TH-900, Tru-Fi modded SoundMagic HP 100 / 150 (link in my signature) or Beyer. DT-1770. Closed cans often seem superb for electronic music, as they don't have overtly more soundstage than called for, and can give an overall more cohesive, tightly articulated sound signature. The above three are especially impressive with the genre. The old DT-770 is no slouch either

Jul 2, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 80
  I'd vote for the modded Fostex TH-900, Tru-Fi modded SoundMagic HP 100 / 150 (link in my signature) or Beyer. DT-1770. Closed cans often seem superb for electronic music, as they don't have overtly more soundstage than called for, and can give an overall more cohesive, tightly articulated sound signature. The above three are especially impressive with the genre. The old DT-770 is no slouch either

What kind of mods on the TH900?

Anyways, I am also nominating a modded TH900. In this case, Lawton modded TH900's with the wider cups, tune-up kit and leather ear pads. They are fantastic with electronic music.

Stock TH900's are pretty great with electronic music as well but do have some issues. They can be overly bright and painful on treble hot tracks and I could only stand listening to them for short periods of time. The Lawton mods fix this issue and also clean up the bass which is already really enjoyable on stock TH900's. You are left with a clean, effortless, impactful sound signature that sounds great with electronic music. The treble is still there in all it's glory, just without the sibilance that makes you not want to listen after a while. TH900's are known for their impactful bass, so there is plenty of that on tap. A Lawton modded TH900 is just overall well balanced and very enjoyable to listen to for long periods of time. It has HD800-like clarity and instrument separation to boot.

Jul 3, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #9 of 80
To me LCD-X sounds great with electronic music. Its bass is amazing.

Jul 3, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #10 of 80
  I've spent much time with the Funktion One system at Berghain and I agree, for electronic music & techno in particular it's the best system I've ever heard.

I've heard most TOTL headphones but have only spent a bit of time with the Abyss and have not listened to the LCD4 yet. So far I think the HE-6 is still the closest to the requirements you listed, especially for techno since it has the bass slam. However, my headphone of choice right now is the HE1000. The sound staging, imaging and clarity is IMO superior to the HE-6 and since I enjoy all kinds of electronic music not just the genres that require a hard hitting sound it meets my needs. For techno in particular the HE1000 just doesn't have the bass slam. My perfect headphone for electronic music would be the HE1000 with the impact of the HE-6. Perhaps spending some more time with the Abyss or LCD4 could change that but from what I've read they don't have the sound stage capabilities of the HE1000.

In the meantime, for techno I have my Mackie HR824 studio monitors which does a marvelous job at a very clean hard hitting sound.

I had the HE-1000 but sold it mainly due to that reason alone, that it doesnt have the bass slam I needed. I also felt the soundstage was a little too far for my liking.

Regarding the mackies, how do you find the bass/sub bass? Have you compared these to the CR models? I found the CR series lacking bass and thin sounding. How do they compare to the HE-6? I currently own a measly Audioengine A5+ however I feel it does a better signature including bass compared to monitors like KRK which lack the bass I want. I don't have space for subwoofer or tall speakers. Upgrading speakers is also high on the list for me, considering I find a good solution.

Frankly, I find Berghain's main room setup a bit too stabby and bleepy for my liking, last I visited, albeit a few years ago. Panorama Bar however, was tops. Not going to name a personal best, as memory of these things is fickle, often clouded by the music. I'd take Floating Points* in a crappy bar over Marcel "cannot mix" Dettman in Berghain any night.

The experiences that stick to mind were probably Twilo NY around the turn of the millennium, Zouk Singapore circa 2002-2006, Womb Tokyo (though that has deteriorated a bit over the years), Bongo in Edinburgh.... oh, and Fabric Room 1 obviously, all of which I rate above Berghain's main room. Special mention to Plastic People (RIP), and The Robert Johnson, though that just might be the vibe and the selectors playing when I was present.

Edit:
* Since I mentioned Floating Points, I think the best place (though not necessarily considered a club) I've heard him play was at Brilliant Corners (London) on their first anniversary party towards the end of 2014. Truly exceptional sound.

I never spent much time at Panorama bar mostly because it being too full for me. Haha Marcel "queue it" Dettman indeed. I'm surprised he plays B2B with Klock. 

Have not been able to see floating points yet!

Your comment on the DT-1770 is interesting. Have you compared them to other headphones mentioned here? I've only heard the 880 and 990 and didn't like them much due to different reasons.
  It's the  Zolkis-mod of the TH-900, which I found to be mountains better than their newer so-called flagship TH-X00. User @stjj89 can chime in for more...

I also have a pair of Lawton audio TH600 currently (east indian rosewood cups). However I still find the treble a little 'metalic' for my taste. The bass on it is very nice though. What I felt with the TH900 was the overshadowing of bass in most tracks. Tracks that didnt call for that much bass had it too. Have you guys been able to resolve that?

Jul 3, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #11 of 80
  To me LCD-X sounds great with electronic music. Its bass is amazing.

I can never even give audeze enough head time due to their weight! After a few minutes my neck becomes sore and I've never been able to judge them properly even after hearing them many times. I should maybe give in and try the LCD-X for longer. Have you compared them to the LCD-3 for electronic music? 

Jul 3, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #12 of 80
  Panorama bars sound system needs an update, its kinda gone downhill over the years. It needs retuned or something. As far as Berghain goes, the closest I have gotten is my Abyss...played LOUD.

It really depends on the music being played, and the room. The funktion ones in Berghain are perfect for techno, and that room. A lot of clubs seem to be trying to replicate that sound, buying funktion ones and turning them up loud, and it just doesn't work. Different rooms and music need different speakers, and most importantly, different tuning.

But yeah, Abyss AB-1266, on a good system, played loudly is the closest I have managed headphone wise. LCD-4 is killer with electronic music, but not an approximation of Berghain, it is too intimate. 

Yes Abyss is on the top of the list for me to try! Everyone says how good they are with electronic music. What amps have you tried them with and which ones do you like? Also, how is the comfort compared to the LCD-4?

Definitely agree with your comment on the clubs trying to replicate the sound. I've been to quite a few "powered by Funktion One" parties, only to find out how badly they've managed to tune it to the space they have. 

Jul 3, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #13 of 80
If the LCD weight is an issue, then stay away from the Abyss. It's a very impractical design - at least as heavy, and is actually meant to be worn with about 1/2" space between the earpads and your head, so that it's very finnicky to keep it in the right place when you move your head.

I felt the DT-1770 is like a more mature version of the Soundmagic HP-100, with far more organic reproduction of the highs. Though I would have to do another A/B to say anything about 1770 compared to 770. I would still take the Zolkis modded TH-900 over the 1770, as the bass texture & lushness seemed more pleasing, but the isolation is less.

Jul 3, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #15 of 80

I can never even give audeze enough head time due to their weight! After a few minutes my neck becomes sore and I've never been able to judge them properly even after hearing them many times. I should maybe give in and try the LCD-X for longer. Have you compared them to the LCD-3 for electronic music? 

Many people say they got used to their weight. I did to my LCD-2. Maybe I have developed an extra neck muscle thanks to them:) Anyway, it would be nice if they were lighter, but I still find them quite comfortable. I suppose it's individual.

I auditioned LCD-X and LCD-3 side by side and preferred LCD-X for most of the music and especially for electronic. LCD-X's bass seems to strike stronger, their sound stage is bigger and they are more airy which I like. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back