Electronic music fans - Headphones discussion thread
Jul 3, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #16 of 80
  If the LCD weight is an issue, then stay away from the Abyss. It's a very impractical design - at least as heavy, and is actually meant to be worn with about 1/2" space between the earpads and your head, so that it's very finnicky to keep it in the right place when you move your head.

I felt the DT-1770 is like a more mature version of the Soundmagic HP-100, with far more organic reproduction of the highs. Though I would have to do another A/B to say anything about 1770 compared to 770. I would still take the Zolkis modded TH-900 over the 1770, as the bass texture & lushness seemed more pleasing, but the isolation is less.

I would've just bought them to try and see how they fit me, but at their price the cut on the resale is too high.

DT990 do really well with electronic music, the treble and bass sound amazing with synths and it is definitively one of the best headphones I've ever tried for some old trance or even progressive house.

I find the DT990 a little too bright, unless people have modded them somehow.

Jul 3, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #18 of 80

Yes Abyss is on the top of the list for me to try! Everyone says how good they are with electronic music. What amps have you tried them with and which ones do you like? Also, how is the comfort compared to the LCD-4?

Definitely agree with your comment on the clubs trying to replicate the sound. I've been to quite a few "powered by Funktion One" parties, only to find out how badly they've managed to tune it to the space they have. 

The LCD-4 is definitely more comfortable, but the Abyss isn't uncomfortable. Its just very different. It sits on your head, where as with the LCD-4 your head sits in the headphone.

Jul 3, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #19 of 80
MT220 is perfect for electronic genres imo.

"Clean hard hitting bass with ample sub bass that does not drown out the mids ands highs" =  CHECK
"Bass slam" =  CHECK.. excellent with superb attack
"Highs need to be clean and non-sibilant" = CHECK

Jul 3, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #20 of 80

I had the HE-1000 but sold it mainly due to that reason alone, that it doesnt have the bass slam I needed. I also felt the soundstage was a little too far for my liking.

Regarding the mackies, how do you find the bass/sub bass? Have you compared these to the CR models? I found the CR series lacking bass and thin sounding. How do they compare to the HE-6? I currently own a measly Audioengine A5+ however I feel it does a better signature including bass compared to monitors like KRK which lack the bass I want. I don't have space for subwoofer or tall speakers. Upgrading speakers is also high on the list for me, considering I find a good solution.

The HR824 does very well on bass - it's essentially tuned flat 20hz-20khz and I got a printout of my specific measurements for each speaker. I prefer a neutral sound like this so it's ideal. I've not heard anything better for the size. I have the original MK1 HR824 and have not compared to current editions or the CR models. With a 6" woofer I expect it to be considerably better than the CR models.

Jul 3, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #21 of 80
Not technically the best as a 2010 planar, but for ease of listening to electronic music for long periods of time - LCD 2.1
I'd love to get some head time with the listed headphones, but not much by way of demo places.

Jul 4, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #22 of 80

Current top 5 favourite headphones

1) Hifiman HE-6

4-screw or 6-screw model ? 
I read there was a difference in the presentation from the original and revision.
Just saw a Nelson Pass dual mono amp kit out of USA on the HE-6 thread, dual monos into headphones - 1 amp per channel - hardcore.

Jul 4, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #23 of 80
  It's the  Zolkis-mod of the TH-900, which I found to be mountains better than their newer so-called flagship TH-X00. User @stjj89 can chime in for more...

I like my zolkis-modded TH900 a lot more than the stock TH-900, and the TH-X00. The TH-X00 was a little dark for my taste, and didn't have the clarity and spaciousness my TH-900 has. The mods tames the shrill treble, brings the mids forward, and reduces bass bloat. The end result is a spacious, bright-side-of-neutral that has deep, effortless bass.

Jul 4, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #24 of 80

The HR824 does very well on bass - it's essentially tuned flat 20hz-20khz and I got a printout of my specific measurements for each speaker. I prefer a neutral sound like this so it's ideal. I've not heard anything better for the size. I have the original MK1 HR824 and have not compared to current editions or the CR models. With a 6" woofer I expect it to be considerably better than the CR model

Have you compared them to any headphones? or bigger speaker systems?
  Not technically the best as a 2010 planar, but for ease of listening to electronic music for long periods of time - LCD 2.1
I'd love to get some head time with the listed headphones, but not much by way of demo places.

Never heard it, but I read that it's better than the F version due to it not being as dark.

4-screw or 6-screw model ? 
I read there was a difference in the presentation from the original and revision.
Just saw a Nelson Pass dual mono amp kit out of USA on the HE-6 thread, dual monos into headphones - 1 amp per channel - hardcore.

I have the 6 screw version. Im planning to buy a 4 screw version and see for myself what the hype is all about.

I like my zolkis-modded TH900 a lot more than the stock TH-900, and the TH-X00. The TH-X00 was a little dark for my taste, and didn't have the clarity and spaciousness my TH-900 has. The mods tames the shrill treble, brings the mids forward, and reduces bass bloat. The end result is a spacious, bright-side-of-neutral that has deep, effortless bass.

Is this the mod?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/763965/fostex-th900-mods

The problem I had with the TH900 bass was the bass overshadowing everything. Does that reduce with this mod?

Jul 4, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #25 of 80
  MT220 is perfect for electronic genres imo.

"Clean hard hitting bass with ample sub bass that does not drown out the mids ands highs" =  CHECK
"Bass slam" =  CHECK.. excellent with superb attack
"Highs need to be clean and non-sibilant" = CHECK

Have never heard these. Thanks for the suggestion. Will keep an eye out for them! From the looks of it, they don't seem to be very comfortable?

Jul 4, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #26 of 80
2.1 is about as dark as planars get barring modded Fostex.
I like the thicker membrane as it gives drum decays a more visceral , natural decay.
Speed with planars is always held up as a positive, but not if the decay is truncated in relation to the mastering timing which would have been through dynamic cones.

Jul 4, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #28 of 80
My favorite headphones for drum 'n' bass and such have always been modded T50RPs, however I have begun to prefer a more realistic sound with better imaging (a la modded HD800, with ample power). In that genre in particular, music from certain labels or artists is of strikingly good sound quality (Hospital Records is one example), thus one can appreciate the extra mid and treble resolution from a can such as the HD800 (especially with jazz-inspired compositions).

I must also mention the Phillips Fidelio L2. These have quite a bit of punch, fantastic treble, and very palpable output down to 20hz, easily, and they can be had for around $170 on Amazon as long as you're willing to wait for Japan shipping. These are probably the best value for the money in electronic music headphones, and they're portable to boot. Just keep in mind that they are fairly revealing of source quality.

Jul 6, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #29 of 80

Is this the mod?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/763965/fostex-th900-mods

The problem I had with the TH900 bass was the bass overshadowing everything. Does that reduce with this mod?

Yes, that mod. It tightens up the bass, removes the bloat and overhang, and brings the mids forward so that the bass no longer seems overly emphasized at the same average volume level. The only downside to this is that you don't get as much feel-good thump from the bass-emphasized stock u-shaped sound signature, but this is just what happens when you move from V-/U-shaped sound signatures to flatter ones. I still think the bass is great, reaches very deep, and has this sub-woofer like quality to it that makes the TH-900 special.

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #30 of 80

The HR824 does very well on bass - it's essentially tuned flat 20hz-20khz and I got a printout of my specific measurements for each speaker. I prefer a neutral sound like this so it's ideal. I've not heard anything better for the size. I have the original MK1 HR824 and have not compared to current editions or the CR models. With a 6" woofer I expect it to be considerably better than the CR models.

Just bid on a pair of HR824 for EUR 925 and lost. Damnit.

Will try to get my hands on these soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back