Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.)
Sep 16, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #5,012 of 6,987
I also enjoy Pegboard Nerds, but why all the hate for Reanimated? Yeah, it doesn't quite live up to the previous two, but it's still good... and much higher quality recordings than Monstercat stuff :p 
I would disagree with zomboy's stuff being higher quality than releases on monstercat. Zomboy has tweeted before saying that he produces with his laptop and a pair of beats, and you can definitely tell that when listening to his music. I like raptor and I like terror squad, the other two tracks are alright. On the dead symphonic all 6 tracks were great.

Sep 16, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #5,013 of 6,987

hello all, good to be back after such a long time =]

so what albums are we all looking forward to? i know im waiting for "intense" by armin van buuren. its my new flatmate that really got me into house and i must say im glad for the change - theres alot of good stuff out there.
other than that theres the new chase and status coming out on the 23rd i think, and camo and crooked on the 30th. anything good coming out soon that i may have missed?

Sep 16, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #5,015 of 6,987

hello all, good to be back after such a long time =]

so what albums are we all looking forward to? i know im waiting for "intense" by armin van buuren. its my new flatmate that really got me into house and i must say im glad for the change - theres alot of good stuff out there.
other than that theres the new chase and status coming out on the 23rd i think, and camo and crooked on the 30th. anything good coming out soon that i may have missed?

I found "intense" to be really disappointing imo. Dash Berlin's musicislife# album is still absolute Gold.

Sep 16, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #5,016 of 6,987
I thought intense was completely amazing. Been listening to it almost everyday since release. Avicii's album is actually pretty good, Anjunadeep 05 with James Grant and Jody Wisternoff is very solid, Kaskade's album is really good, BT's album is kind of a let down but still it's BT, he's allowed a pass, Skylarking is one of the best songs ever made IMO. Universal Religion Ch. 7 is about to release I'm pretty sure I got it early listening to it now, pretty solid so far. 

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #5,017 of 6,987
I would disagree with zomboy's stuff being higher quality than releases on monstercat. Zomboy has tweeted before saying that he produces with his laptop and a pair of beats, and you can definitely tell that when listening to his music. I like raptor and I like terror squad, the other two tracks are alright. On the dead symphonic all 5 tracks were great.

I really doubt he records and produces with beats. I'm pretty sure I've seen a picture of him wearing AKGs before. Maybe he has a contract with them? Dead Symphonic was amazing, I think I like it more than Game Time EP. Better than Monstercat? That's subjective.

Edit: I feel like he may be falling into the same trap Knife Party did. Haunted House EP blew (In my opinion) and Zomboy is kinda going towards more rave/party music with booming basslines, hard sidechaining and large synth lead. 

Another edit: Mind Control was great, while Run It is eh, and are both relatively new.

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #5,018 of 6,987
I really doubt he records and produces with beats. I'm pretty sure I've seen a picture of him wearing AKGs before. Maybe he has a contract with them? Dead Symphonic was amazing, I think I like it more than Game Time EP. Better than Monstercat? That's subjective.

Edit: I feel like he may be falling into the same trap Knife Party did. Haunted House EP blew (In my opinion) and Zomboy is kinda going towards more rave/party music with booming basslines, hard sidechaining and large synth lead. 

Another edit: Mind Control was great, while Run It is eh, and are both relatively new.
His tweet stated," I don't understand all the hate on beats, for the type of music I produce they are perfect." Someone then suggested some headphones that would be better for producing( if I remember correctly it was the ATH M50) and zomboy replied to him with," those headphones look too Hi-Fi." By that I think he means they weren't fashionable enough for his tastes. I'm just saying I remember this and I remember losing a bit of respect for him that day.
I feel like the difference between The Dead Symphonic and Game Time was huge. I really enjoyed Game Time but the Dead Symphonic was on a whole new level. I was really hoping he would build off of the success of the Dead Symphonic. I would have to agree that he, like Knife Party, is starting to create music for the masses.
Also regarding monstercat vs zomboy, yeah it is purely subjective and Monstercat can be pretty hit and miss sometimes, but never say die records is very hit and miss with me. I was going to purchase a membership for Never Say Die but I just don't consistently like theirs releases enough. I am a member of OWSLA's the Nest, Fool's Gold Records' The gold Mine, Mad Decent premium, and I have a Monstercat gold membership.

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #5,019 of 6,987
I thought intense was completely amazing. Been listening to it almost everyday since release. Avicii's album is actually pretty good, Anjunadeep 05 with James Grant and Jody Wisternoff is very solid, Kaskade's album is really good, BT's album is kind of a let down but still it's BT, he's allowed a pass, Skylarking is one of the best songs ever made IMO. Universal Religion Ch. 7 is about to release I'm pretty sure I got it early listening to it now, pretty solid so far. 

BT's new album is more commercial than his best work, but it's still top shelf commercial, IMO.

His worst work is still quite good.

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #5,020 of 6,987

I found "intense" to be really disappointing imo. Dash Berlin's musicislife# album is still absolute Gold.

i thought intense only comes out on the 20th??  
other than avicii i dont know any of those others - is it also house?
i downloaded 2 BT albums some time ago and i dont remember liking it that much tbh...

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #5,021 of 6,987
I agree, it's growing on me with time. Most music is like that, takes me about 5 listens to appreciate it or for it to start clicking. I guess it was just a little bit of a shock to hear dubstep, or brostep, whichever it would be classified as, coming from him. It's pretty crazy hearing that commercial kind of jingle from the new album when just last year he was releasing hardcore ambient tunes. He really has been all over the spectrum, I just like him at his best when it's more of the trance background. 

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #5,022 of 6,987

i thought intense only comes out on the 20th??  
other than avicii i dont know any of those others - is it also house?
i downloaded 2 BT albums some time ago and i dont remember liking it that much tbh...

Pretty sure intense was released in like may dude. I got it early though I'm not really sure, been listening to it for quite some time though. Kaskade I guess would be classified mostly as deep house maybe progressive house. Anjunadeep is deep house. I might be wrong, EDM classification nowadays is a crap shoot. Almost every established artist dabbles in different sub genre's and then it becomes an argument on what's the right classification. Anyway, all my recent recommendations are pretty popular in the EDM scene and should be available on youtube to see what you like. 

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #5,023 of 6,987
GAH. By quality, I meant the gear he's recording on, the sounds he's using, and the quality OF THE RECORDING (Reanimated is offered in 24/96 Wav). True, if the sounds you produce aren't high-fidelity, then there's no way higher bit-depth and sampling will make a difference, but I do believe Zomboy's stuff is a bit clearer and more detailed than other stuff that's produced. Yes, some great songs come out on Monstercat, but I was just saying that Zomboy's stuff is more audiophile-friendly, if electronic music can actually be considered that. 

And the more I listen to Reanimated, I really see that Dead Symphonic, and even Game Time to an extent, are better than Reanimated. Oh well. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back