Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.)
Feb 18, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #4,426 of 6,987
Quote:
Quote:
And no, I haven't heard dnb on the Pro900. Any good? 

Strikingly immersive.

Interesting. I'm in love with my M-100s, they're pretty amazing with dnb. A few headphones have piqued my interest lately, and now the Pro 900s are added to that shortlist. But from what I've read they're similar to the M-100s, but I'd be interested in knowing what the differences are. 

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #4,427 of 6,987
Sorry I get a little subjective and expressive in this post.

I have used my AlphaDogs with DnB but they don't really have the impact bass that most would like. Though when DnB artists use real instruments (Pendulum) in their songs the AlphaDogs really make the music SHINE. It is quality bass not quantity bass. 
Take another ortho like the HE400, trying to not get to expressive here, OMG! They sound amazing with DnB, Dubstep, TripHop, any EDM. That high quality bass with impact, those fantastic ortho mids, they can be a little bright in the high end.(Most bass cans are. Vshaped can`t be helped.)
I would say without a doubt the HE400 is the best 400 or under EDM headphone, hell the best 500 or under EDM headphone. If you can take the weight of an Ortho. They all weigh in at a 440g or more which compared to the M100 (280g) and Pro900(295g) is pretty hefty.

I am sure my Beyer DT990/600 are fantastic with DnB most Beyers are, but since I got my orthos I just don't use them so they are now a very expensive gaming can. 
redface.gif

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #4,428 of 6,987
AlphaDogs are my next can, gonna be for studio reference though rather than enjoyment, being super neutral and all. Been drooling over MadDogs for some time now, and the Alpha Pads sound pretty awesome, especially since it makes the MD easier to drive.

You mention quality bass over quantity, but do the AlphaDogs take well to EQing? Say a +16dB boost from 150hz and lower? Does that quality bass just get bigger, or does it get flabby and start to distort/clip quickly? Or even hardware bassboost and the like, eg ZO2, E12, BH? The reason I ask is because I've been under the impression that MadDogs don't eq well, but Alpha pads may change that.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #4,430 of 6,987
Silk Music released this track by Nigel Good for free in honor of having over 15k fans on Facebook. Link to the download in the video description.

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #4,431 of 6,987
Quote:
AlphaDogs are my next can, gonna be for studio reference though rather than enjoyment, being super neutral and all. Been drooling over MadDogs for some time now, and the Alpha Pads sound pretty awesome, especially since it makes the MD easier to drive.

You mention quality bass over quantity, but do the AlphaDogs take well to EQing? Say a +16dB boost from 150hz and lower? Does that quality bass just get bigger, or does it get flabby and start to distort/clip quickly? Or even hardware bassboost and the like, eg ZO2, E12, BH? The reason I ask is because I've been under the impression that MadDogs don't eq well, but Alpha pads may change that.

Wish I was at home right now and I would answer this question for you. I don't like to EQ, for lots of reasons the main 1 being pure laziness. I have an E17 and use Foobar2k so I can test this for you later. Now to remember. lol!

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #4,432 of 6,987
Quote:

are "alpha dogs" just mad dogs with different pads or has mrspeakers created a new mod?
and i too would love to know about the eqing question

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #4,433 of 6,987
Quote:
Quote:

are "alpha dogs" just mad dogs with different pads or has mrspeakers created a new mod?

Yeah AlphaPads are the name for the new pads that MrSpeakers has for the MadDog mod, and I dunno, I guess instead of saying "MadDogs with the new AlphaPads", I'm just gonna marry the two into 'AlphaDogs'. I'm sure that's not the official name MrSpeakers has given his mod, but it's easier. 

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #4,434 of 6,987
Quote:
turn the sub bass as high as possible, lean back, and take this one in

I forgot about Solar Fields, thanks for that. :)

Quote:
I always love to play this song whenever I'm in the mood for some good bass. MitiS has some real good stuff

You catch his free download not too long ago?   Think it was Chill, still good though.

Quote:
Ever heard d&b out of a ultrasone pro 900?

I almost bought those!  I narrowed it down to those and the Beyers DT990.  Not sure which I would prefer more, but the DT990s do scale very well surprisingly with my piddly dink E11. 

Quote:
(posters of way too many good artists)

Ih8u

Quote:
Could someone do me a favor and prescribe me some progressive house. I like most EDM too but I enjoy progressive house style the most. 

Just keep an eye on this thread.  Also go back as there have been a lot of good tracks listed in this thread that no one is going to feel like repeating  - I would start from the most recent and work your way back.  We post all the sub-genres and links to free downloads all the time.  Sometimes it goes in waves though ...few days it may be nothing but Liquid DnB, then Dub, then Progressive, then Ambient and Psy has gotten some love with free EP downloads. 

Speaking of free downloads (sorry this one is dubstep) here is one a couple months old so I can't remember if anyone linked this one yet.   Meant to but got busy - full CD is free.

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #4,435 of 6,987
If you love drum and bass, I can't think of anywhere else in North America that holds it down so proper for the junglists. Toronto rules. I'll start promoting WEMF when the lineup gets released, it's the annual 3 day festival, if anyone from across the boarder or anywhere within driving distance of Southern Ontario (big place, I know lol) and not tooooooo far away are interested in coming. We're also having the second annual Canada Day festival again this year. Instead of spamming posters and promo, I'll just link Digital Dreams here. Last year there was a surprise dnb stage. Funny story. London Elektricity was billed for a few days prior, and we were confused as to why the flyers hadn't been printed, and meanwhile we're promoting DD at house parties, and when we didn't promote it at Loadstar, we got yelled at, but we were confused as to why they wanted deep house and trance promoted at a pure dnb party? Well yeah, that surprise Bass Stage was added to the bill and the PROMOTERS WEREN'T TOLD ABOUT IT lol. 

It's been a while since I posted actual music. 

Free liquid vibe. I actually really appreciate Alicia Keys as a musician; albeit I'm unfamiliar with all of her material (maybe I just think she's hot lol), so I was curious as to how this would sound, and it's pretty nice. Entirely unfamiliar with Friske too, so it was a nice surprise.

https://soundcloud.com/friske/alicia-keys-remix

So a few pages back I was being a whiny baby about iTunes selling me 256AAC files when I wanted 320mp3, or at least to be offered ALAC. One of my arguments as to why I wasn't going to bother converting it to mp3, even just to play the tracks on Traktor (my main reason for being miffed is aac sin't supported by Traktor) was because it didn't make any logical sense to me how the quality could be the same, if the bitrate was going higher, and the file wouldn't. So anyways, if this hasn't confused you so far, this track Visitation in 256aac is 11.8MB, and after iTunes conversion, it's 13.9MB in 320mp3. So, not that I know how it works, but to my insufficient knowledge of what compression is, it's almost as if AAC is like a zipfile of sorts, and can be unzipped into a larger package (heh). Colour me surprised. Looks like I'll be going back to iTunes for cheap releases, and just convert them to 320. I'm not afraid anymore. I am so ready for you iTunes.  

Hazard is bodmon as always. This one's been in the circuit for almost a year with no release date in site. Speculation is it'll be on a four track Hazard EP forthcoming, or on a Critical release. Kasra's been playing it out a lot, this clip is from Fabriclive 65, which was mixed by Hazard himself. Bodmon mix btw: 

And this one I heard 'for the first time' with my M-100/BH combo; the details that I've never heard before are incredible

All this variety is exactly why I love drum and bass. 

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #4,436 of 6,987
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah AlphaPads are the name for the new pads that MrSpeakers has for the MadDog mod, and I dunno, I guess instead of saying "MadDogs with the new AlphaPads", I'm just gonna marry the two into 'AlphaDogs'. I'm sure that's not the official name MrSpeakers has given his mod, but it's easier. 

Yah it is just easier calling them AlphaDogs.

OK I tried it. LMAO. +16db? Are you sure that is lot. 

Foobar2K completely broken, clips as soon as you turn on the eq. I would use a third party eq so I moved onto itunes.
I was actually surprised by how good itunes sounds with theses headphones in general. Highest I could go was +12db, handled 125 and lower like a champ never clipped once in the multitude of songs I tried. Nice deep bass and sub bass just poored out at the expense of every other frequency. I tried both ways of eqing, I jammed them all the way to the top no clipping at all. I lower every other frequency but those three. Nothing it was perfect again at the expense of losing most of the mids and treble. Honestly I wouldn't be disappointed if I had to use itunes as I prefer the layout vs Fb2K. Satisfied I booted up my E17.

Now this is where it really gets interesting. The hardware version sounds just as bassy as the software version but doesn't completely swallow all the mids. It lessens them but doesn't destroy them like a software EQ. I was even able to turn the treble down as well and still sort of enjoy the sound. The Fiio E17 does a wonderful job with EQing at least I discovered this and I discovered the E17 is very treble heavy with the AlphaDogs. 

So there you go. They work perfectly with everything but Fb2K. Listening to some Pendulum in Flac in Fb2K right now and it sounds great lots of bass, wonderful mids, treble is just about right, but it is a darker headphone overall, but I love it. 

TLDR version: E17 excellent bass boost, Itunes in Win7 competent player and EQ, Foobar2K EQ just horrible.

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #4,437 of 6,987
Interesting. Good to know! I'm sold. 

The +16dB was more so for curiosity sake, M-100 being +8dB, and my iTunes EQ set to another +8 in the mid-sub bass, and with the MD being so neutral, +16dB seemed an appropriate figure to test with
size]

I can't deal with foobar2k. I'm a simple-ish audiophile, and iTunes is good enough. I have MediaMonkey too which sounds better but it's super clunky. I've tried every other media player out there and I keep sticking with iTunes for a few reasons, one is the ease of use, the other is my iPod Touch, and other small nitpicks with other players. I dunno just can't do it.

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #4,438 of 6,987
Yah 16db is really high, itunes doesn't even go that high. I did drop everything but the bottom 3 and even raised them to what would be a false +16db and no clipping what so ever. 

Just to add to the thread. Cause it is so good and in that Pendulum vibe I have been enjoying. Well cause it is members of.. well you know. (Tried to post video not link but youtube wouldn't have it.)

I will warn you if you are used to bassy headphones it will take some getting used to the AlphaDogs, you just need to give your ears some time to adjust. I have had them since the 14th and they just started opening up for me a day or two ago but I have also been sick and that messes with your ears.  They also need some voltage. Nothing to serious. I ran them just fine off the E17 at 0 gain at around 44, 60 is max.

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #4,440 of 6,987
Quote:
Yah 16db is really high, itunes doesn't even go that high. I did drop everything but the bottom 3 and even raised them to what would be a false +16db and no clipping what so ever. 

Just to add to the thread. Cause it is so good and in that Pendulum vibe I have been enjoying. Well cause it is members of.. well you know.

I will warn you if you are used to bassy headphones it will take some getting used to the AlphaDogs, you just need to give your ears some time to adjust. I have had them since the 14th and they just started opening up for me a day or two ago but I have also been sick and that messes with your ears.  They also need some voltage. Nothing to serious. I ran them just fine off the E17 at 0 gain at around 44, 60 is max.

I just love bass, what can I say, and the M-100 with some EQing delivers NICE bass in DROVES

that yt link is broken. It works in the quote oddly enough :/

To be honest, I don't want another coloured headphone, I'm more interested in a home studio monitor headphone. And given the LCD-2 is used by some of my favourite producers for their tunes, and the AlphaDogs are the poor mans LCD-2, I think that says a lot about the quality of the AlphaDogs. I'd go for the HD650 but it's also more expensive, for nto muc gain in quality.... But it IS a masterpiece of a headphone. Everytime I oogle the wall at BBR, the HD650 always makes me stop in the moment. That's what I almost expect from the AlphaDogs. 

I've also been told the new pads are easier to drive, so I'm banking on my BH doing the trick, in high gain and on output 1 I'll have to experiment with the settings..

Oh, how's the bass and treble extension? Actually, let me know how the tracks in my signature hold up :wink: No EQ. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back