Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.)
May 22, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #6,003 of 6,987
I've been listening to some of "The Eden Project" songs and i honestly can't get enough. Why am i only discovering these guys now..

https://soundcloud.com/nocopyrightsounds/the-eden-project-chasing-ghosts-ncs-release

May 28, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #6,009 of 6,987
  I'm not familiar with the artist you mentioned but upon listening to it, it became clear they employ various combinations / permutations of the sub-embrella category of electronic music knows as downtempo, of which includes multiple sub categories such as the ones on that album: trip hop, dubstep and trap. And none of these are EDM (aka dance music), these instead are unique genres of electronic music.

Good info DecentLevi.  I've been fully immersed in the electronic music scene for many many years.  You are totally correct in your comments.  

Warning, soap-box rant coming:

Having acknowledged that, I wanted to point out some personal biases/feelings I have on the ridiculous categorization, subcategorization, sub-sub categorization, that takes place within the electronic music genre.......   namely, I personally detest the over-categorizing that takes place within the electronic music genre.

I find the labels used to categorize the types of electronic music to be nonsensical and practically useless (IDM, for example).  To newcomers, the sheer number of categories must be overwhelming.  I don't like placing category labels on music because I view them as boundaries/rules, which strangle the soul of the music itself. I really wish these labels did not exist.  I know many may disagree but that's my two cents.  Perhaps it is something in me that doesn't like being bound by rules, whereas others like these labels in order to make sense of what they are hearing.  I dunno.

To be clear DecentLevi, I know  you didn't create the labels and are just reporting the facts so this is nothing against what you wrote as you are, of course, correct.  But in my opinion- screw these dumb labels.

Cheers

May 28, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #6,010 of 6,987
What I would like is a list of important Electronic albums released in the last 10 years that I go try and get. So much stuff out there....

May 28, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #6,011 of 6,987
  What I would like is a list of important Electronic albums released in the last 10 years that I go try and get. So much stuff out there....

That's not going to help you much as what people consider important will be very personal. Maybe you could also post the names of some artists/albums you like to give people a point of reference.

May 28, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #6,012 of 6,987

That's not going to help you much as what people consider important will be very personal. Maybe you could also post the names of some artists/albums you like to give people a point of reference.

I wouldn't mind artists that are in the vein of The Flashbulb & Trentemoller.

May 28, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #6,013 of 6,987

Good choice!

Trentemoller is one of my favorites, for sure.  I think I have his entire discography to the extent it was released in cd format.  His sound is unique and varies from album to album, but if you like Trentemoller, you might give Moire a try (search Youtube, Bandcamp, etc., for albums "Shelter" and "Hush").

May 29, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #6,014 of 6,987

IMO an artist similar to Trentemoller is Todd Terje (who named himself after the house producer Todd Terrie who also has great, similar music). And an artist similar to The Flashbulb is Photophob who also makes innovative breakcore / IDM, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back