Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.)
Mar 22, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #5,926 of 6,987
Does anybody know a curent list or postings of electronic music releases that were mastered well? Because as an electro-junkie for several decades and an upcoming electronica musician / audiophile, the difference betwen poor & good mastering techniques becomes instantly noticeable - and I love to find the greatest mastered ones to go good with my ever-upgrading headphone setup.

A few that I already know off the bat who do great mastering are mostly popular artists but I'm sure you can recommend more:

- Bjork (downtempo / trip hop / IDM)
- recent Britney Spears & Madonna (yes I know this is technically "POP" but they have been incorporating NUMEROUS elements of electronic music production and sampling for quite a while)
- Massive Attack (newer releases - downtempo / trip hop / big beat)
- Caribou (newer - house mostly)
- Karsten Pflum (IDM / electro)

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #5,927 of 6,987
Does anybody know a curent list or postings of electronic music releases that were mastered well? Because as an electro-junkie for several decades and an upcoming electronica musician / audiophile, the difference betwen poor & good mastering techniques becomes instantly noticeable - and I love to find the greatest mastered ones to go good with my ever-upgrading headphone setup.

A few that I already know off the bat who do great mastering are mostly popular artists but I'm sure you can recommend more:

- recent Britney Spears & Madonna (yes I know this is technically "POP" but they have been incorporating NUMEROUS elements of electronic music production and sampling for quite a while)

Yosi Horikawa, Tipper, Huron and Liquid Stranger have amazing mastering through planar magnetic headphones anyway...each different in their own way...Huron has this kind of ultra-detail that seems to emerge from a vast black space....Horikawa has this immersive lush surround sound.

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #5,928 of 6,987

Pretty much anything by Infected Mushroom. BTs latest three or four albums sound amazing, especially his two experimental ones.

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #5,930 of 6,987

http://classic.beatport.com/track/the-gift-of-solitude-original-mix/6013538

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #5,932 of 6,987

Phase90 - Infinitati (bandcamp)

I can't call myself a fan of many artists but would I have to name one of the few it's Stephen Hitchell aka Intrusion, CV313, Variant, Phase90, Soultek (not my thing). This guy is on another level and together with Rod Modell (DeepChord) owns the genre.

Interstellar goodness!

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #5,933 of 6,987

Phase90 - Infinitati (bandcamp)

I can't call myself a fan of many artists but would I have to name one of the few it's Stephen Hitchell aka Intrusion, CV313, Variant, Phase90, Soultek (not my thing). This guy is on another level and together with Rod Modell (DeepChord) owns the genre.

Interstellar goodness!

Excellent, its giving my LCD's a dust shake-out on bandcamp.... .Will check the others out as well.

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #5,936 of 6,987
So I started listening to this about ~ 3 hours ago. Just over and over. I'm new to Autechre. Checked out a couple tracks in the past briefly but it was too off the wall for me. I'll definitely be looking into them more seriously now.

(buy the lossless version on Beep -- huge difference)

I don't really have the words to explain it. Best (laziest) way I can put it is to say it's like a purely audio version of this:

Mar 28, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #5,937 of 6,987
  So I started listening to this about ~ 3 hours ago. Just over and over. I'm new to Autechre. Checked out a couple tracks in the past briefly but it was too off the wall for me. I'll definitely be looking into them more seriously now.

(buy the lossless version on Beep -- huge difference)

I don't really have the words to explain it. Best (laziest) way I can put it is to say it's like a purely audio version of this:

IMO Autechre were superb 1994 up until 2000, then it just got too beatless and pretentious....
ENV(itre) kind of reactivated their old sound with his spin on things...

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #5,938 of 6,987

IMO Autechre were superb 1994 up until 2000, then it just got too beatless and pretentious....
ENV(itre) kind of reactivated their old sound with his spin on things...

Are you sure?
I mean, they certainly do go pretty far out left field from time to time, but that doesn't necessarily make them beat shy.
Here they are anno 2010, straight four to the floor:

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #5,939 of 6,987

Are you sure?
I mean, they certainly do go pretty far out left field from time to time, but that doesn't necessarily make them beat shy.
Here they are anno 2010, straight four to the floor:

There might be exceptions to their stuff, but yes.... I just totally lost interest in a duo that I used to listen to all the time after a point. Everything got 'too ahead if its time' IMO.
They were right there at the start with Warp and the AI series and the mini-explosion of IDM.

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #5,940 of 6,987

There might be exceptions to their stuff, but yes.... I just totally lost interest in a duo that I used to listen to all the time after a point. Everything got 'too ahead if its time' IMO.
They were right there at the start with Warp and the AI series and the mini-explosion of IDM.

Their AI-era stuff was great, but things move on - if they had just kept churning out the same thing for the next 20 years, it would have got stale. IMO no other electronic act consistently evolves their sound and pushes the boundaries of what electronic music is about like Autechre. Of course their post-LP5 material requires a bit more investment in it than just slapping it on and being instantly gratified the first time you hear it, because frankly, it isn't as simplistic as the majority of electronica. That said, I think the complexity of albums like Confield is often overstated: most of the tracks on that album have a solid rhythmic underpinning and are far from beatless or random. As much as I really dig their early work like Amber and Incunabula, albums like Draft 7.30 ultimately have more intrigue and longevity to my mind. I never understand why fans have to make this distinction between 'new' and 'old' Autechre though - yes, their earlier work is great, but so is their later work; just in a different way. There should be room for more than one, narrow definition of what constitutes good electronic music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back