Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.)
Jun 20, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #5,596 of 6,987
Alright. Well, give those k812's and LCD-X's a long listen side by side if possible (although the LCD-X isn't dynamic...) and on some lossless tracks. The k812 is probably great for electronic. I am not that far up the headphones ladder. I'm still on low-fi cans. :-\ have fun!

Jun 20, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #5,597 of 6,987
What makes you say the K812 are great? I'm looking for maybe two headphones, one reference and one for electronica, instead of just having my T1 do all-around duty. I was hoping the Alpha Dogs would fit the bill buuut if the K812 are better...

Jun 20, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #5,598 of 6,987
What makes you say the K812 are great? I'm looking for maybe two headphones, one reference and one for electronica, instead of just having my T1 do all-around duty. I was hoping the Alpha Dogs would fit the bill buuut if the K812 are better...

Lol going from a $600 can to a $1600 one is a pretty big jump.

Anyway, did anyone like the new Death Grips album? They pretty close to electronic music, right?

Jun 20, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #5,599 of 6,987

Eh I don't think so, it's a $800 can that competed with the HD800 for a while, the difference in quality shouldn't be big at this point, +/- 1-5% across the range? Unless you mean the Alpha Dogs, but that's why I'm asking for comparisons? It's only really ever about the $/performance ratio anyways.

All I've read of the K812 is the headfonia where he mercilessly said they're not flagship tier, but you guys seem to have a different opinion.

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #5,600 of 6,987
Eh I don't think so, it's a $800 can that competed with the HD800 for a while, the difference in quality shouldn't be big at this point, +/- 1-5% across the range? Unless you mean the Alpha Dogs, but that's why I'm asking for comparisons? It's only really ever about the $/performance ratio anyways.

All I've read of the K812 is the headfonia where he mercilessly said they're not flagship tier, but you guys seem to have a different opinion.

Yeah, I was talking about the Alpha Dogs. As for the K812, I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet so I can't really say anything about em.

Jun 21, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #5,601 of 6,987

Yeah I was going from the hd650s-K812s and comparatively to them I thought the k812s were amazing. 

I gave the lcd-x a solid two-hour listen today. I love them, I returned my K812s and will be picking up the LCD-X when they come in on Monday. I'm excited. Soundstage is better with the LCD-X. I think the K812s might do female vocals slightly better but idk. I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to headphones. i use bruson 160ds amp.

Blisse,

Are you going to digital dreams?

Jun 22, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #5,602 of 6,987
I'd imagine LCD-X would be totally rockin with electronic music if you feed them enough juice.
My LCD-2s changed alot for the good when swapping Burson The Conductor for Schiit Mjolnir.
Got HE-560 or HE-400i in my eyes at the moment, I think those might have better "physical" punch/impact, without having the muddy unclear sound like Denon's have, so perfect for EDM

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #5,603 of 6,987
  OMGYESOMGYESOMGYES!!!111
(Aphex Twin's long unreleased album as Caustic Window has been finally sent to Kickstarter backers and got uploaded to YouTube)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL05YPqhPmTtJUC0AWZAOJrhWJrjlCH11q

Not solid gold, as you might expect, but flashes of that trademark early 90s Aphex magic - particularly liking Fingertrips, Airflow, Revpok and 101 Rainbows - mostly though, just so great to hear something that's basically lain dormant for the last 20 years!

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #5,604 of 6,987

Yeah I was going from the hd650s-K812s and comparatively to them I thought the k812s were amazing. 

I gave the lcd-x a solid two-hour listen today. I love them, I returned my K812s and will be picking up the LCD-X when they come in on Monday. I'm excited. Soundstage is better with the LCD-X. I think the K812s might do female vocals slightly better but idk. I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to headphones. i use bruson 160ds amp.

Blisse,

Are you going to digital dreams?

i'm actually in cali for the summer :| can't believe i'm gonna miss it, it sounds amazing ;;

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #5,605 of 6,987
The k812 is most definitely flagship tier. Many who have heard the hd800 and k812 prefer the k812, and say it is both more musical and analytical... I haven't heard either, but go look at an Akg k812 thread. Remember, its all personal preference though. No one headphone is better than another in its price range. The guy who returned the k812 for the lcd-X? That's personal preference. It means nothing more than he enjoyed the lcd-X more. Doesn't mean you won't like k812, does it? Akg's house sound just works great for me. Remember, I'm still on the low end, but its all opinion and preference... That's something people seem to forget. Always try headphones yourself before judging.

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #5,606 of 6,987
I'd imagine LCD-X would be totally rockin with electronic music if you feed them enough juice.
My LCD-2s changed alot for the good when swapping Burson The Conductor for Schiit Mjolnir.
Got HE-560 or HE-400i in my eyes at the moment, I think those might have better "physical" punch/impact, without having the muddy unclear sound like Denon's have, so perfect for EDM
depends on preference and type of electronic you are listening to... What I listen to a lot of the time needs a balanced headphone with great separation imo.

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #5,607 of 6,987
The k812 is most definitely flagship tier. Many who have heard the hd800 and k812 prefer the k812, and say it is both more musical and analytical... I haven't heard either, but go look at an Akg k812 thread. Remember, its all personal preference though. No one headphone is better than another in its price range. The guy who returned the k812 for the lcd-X? That's personal preference. It means nothing more than he enjoyed the lcd-X more. Doesn't mean you won't like k812, does it? Akg's house sound just works great for me. Remember, I'm still on the low end, but its all opinion and preference... That's something people seem to forget. Always try headphones yourself before judging.

All of the flagships discussed are above my pay grade (or, actually, what I am willing to spend). I have not heard all of them, but my favorite so far is the Beyer T1. That being said, and keeping with open back design, the Philips X1 is a monster when it comes to EDM. Yes, you sacrifice some (insert approved audiophile nomenclature here) but goodness they are a lot of fun!

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #5,608 of 6,987
You don't seem to get it. I ACTUALLY ENJOY my akg's more for edm than any headphone I've tried. I need that detail and separation for things like these: https://soundcloud.com/omnitica/straw-hat-pirates-instrumental https://soundcloud.com/moxix/shaolin-funk https://soundcloud.com/masamunemusic/red-dragon-original-mix-free https://soundcloud.com/sublift/sublift-destroyer-of-worlds https://soundcloud.com/rogueuk/new-rogue-nightfall https://soundcloud.com/spagheddy/the-artist-in-the-ambulance

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #5,609 of 6,987
And no I'm not angry. I'm just stating not all edm needs a bassy headphone.

Jun 23, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #5,610 of 6,987
You don't seem to get it. I ACTUALLY ENJOY my akg's more for edm than any headphone I've tried. I need that detail and separation for things like these: 

If that was directed at me, I was in no way disparaging your choice in headphones - thanks for the links, btw - and I would love to be able to audition the K812. I was just stating the the X1 was a lot of fun - for all types of music really. In fact, compared to many closed back HPs, they are not all that bass heavy; they have the reputation of being so because the bass is elevated compared to other open back HPs. And I do agree that one does not need a pair of subwoofers strapped to one's head for all EDM... 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back