Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.)
Dec 19, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #6,875 of 6,987
For any of you who are into progressive/deep house, I highly recommend Anjunadeep 07
It's absolutely incredible!

My golden standard for amazing progressive house has always been the Sasha/Digweed Northern Exposure albums. Highly recommended if you have never heard their stuff.

Dec 19, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #6,876 of 6,987
EDM in general doesn't seem popular here.

It's probably because EDM's so ubiquitous and commercialized that no one feels it's that special, so instead they focus on more esoteric/interesting/innovative electronic music.

I began to gradually quit listening to 'EDM' back in the mid 90's when I discovered its' infinitely more advanced and creative brother called IDM... mind you this was when the former was still called "dance music". I enjoyed dance music throughout the 90's up until the first few years of the 00's, then sometime around '05 the term EDM was popularized, effectively 'destroying' what what was once great with what is now over-commercialized, watered down electronic music with a slowed down BPM, occasionally so much that it becomes indistinguishable from pop music (I'm looking at you Lady Gaga), often with the annoyingly long 'drop' where 60% of the song can literally be without a beat. 

For some reason those "expert" renowned DJ's / producers seem to think they can earn more money from making it much more vocal oriented, slow and largely without a beat. Well I hate to admit it but it looks like they were right, however for the wrong reasons. Sure they can earn more by duping billions of people on what real electronic music sounds like, but I've always had a feeling many of today's mainstream EDM acts do it just for the money rather than for any sort of artistic expression.  
 For me the final nail in the coffin with EDM has been how they're now incorporating lots of those annoying elements of dubstep such as wobbly bass. Somehow it seems the current generation actually digs this, but IMO EDM will never fully hold up to it's dance music heritage.

Dec 19, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #6,877 of 6,987
There are probably hundreds and hundreds of hours of EDM being pushed out every hour that does not feature vocals nor wobbly bass.

I think you confuse the drop with the build up. The build up happens before the drop and the drop is the part where the beat and the bass have already been "dropped" in. Needless to say, there are a lot of EDM without painfully long build ups.

While I'm not entirely sure about that, I think you got the pop-EDM relationship the other way around. If you consider ABBA as pop band for example (AFAIK they were), and then you say Lady Gaga is a pop artist as well, then it is pop music that started to sound like EDM and not the other way around.

As for mainstream EDM being commercialized, yeah that's why it's "mainstream". It tries to appeal to as many people as possible. On the flipside there are EDM producers who don't even do tours. And there are producers who do tours but they also regularly go to places where there are obviously less money to make.

In my opinion EDM already surpassed its former self in a way. For example some modern synths allow producers to do stuff that wasn't possible in let's say 20 years ago, and those synths are being used by EDM producers as well, so for example  sound design wise, EDM has definitely evolved.

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #6,879 of 6,987
<a data-cke-saved-href="http://miyuki.bandcamp.com/album/parts-grow-denser-scarcely-growing-louder" href="http://miyuki.bandcamp.com/album/parts-grow-denser-scarcely-growing-louder">Parts Grow Denser, Scarcely Growing Louder by Miyuki</a>

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #6,880 of 6,987
Hi all, after some recommendations as I cant seem to find much recent music I like.

Im into more chilled and bassy stuff such as Phaeleh, Headphone Activist, Tycho, Moderat, tale of us, KANT, FKJ but other than that nothing is really doing it for me so I find myself listen to a lot of Pink Floyd and older stuff. Any other artists to check out that you think I could like, will dig around on this thread in the mean time. 

I liked half of the Kasbo - Kaleidoscope song posted above until they added that generic EDM sound ontop haha, reminded me a bit of Blackmill until then.

Dec 22, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #6,881 of 6,987
  Hi all, after some recommendations as I cant seem to find much recent music I like.

Im into more chilled and bassy stuff such as Phaeleh, Headphone Activist, Tycho, Moderat, tale of us, KANT, FKJ but other than that nothing is really doing it for me so I find myself listen to a lot of Pink Floyd and older stuff. Any other artists to check out that you think I could like, will dig around on this thread in the mean time. 

I liked half of the Kasbo - Kaleidoscope song posted above until they added that generic EDM sound ontop haha, reminded me a bit of Blackmill until then.

https://subspiele.bandcamp.com/album/prunus

^This one has been posted here by someone else several pages ago, it's rather chilled, doesn't have an in your face feeling to it, and I personally really enjoyed it.

^This is something I came across while I was searching some tunes by an other artist and despite not being what I was looking for, I liked it. The rest of his albums aren't EDM oriented and rather relaxing just like this one.

Dec 23, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #6,882 of 6,987
  https://subspiele.bandcamp.com/album/prunus

^This one has been posted here by someone else several pages ago, it's rather chilled, doesn't have an in your face feeling to it, and I personally really enjoyed it.

^This is something I came across while I was searching some tunes by an other artist and despite not being what I was looking for, I liked it. The rest of his albums aren't EDM oriented and rather relaxing just like this one.

Thanks I rather forgot about KOAN and I do quite like their stuff thanks! I will check that other album out soon cheers

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #6,885 of 6,987
<a data-cke-saved-href="http://symbionproject.bandcamp.com/album/halcyon-ep" href="http://symbionproject.bandcamp.com/album/halcyon-ep">Halcyon EP by Symbion Project</a>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back