Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.)
Nov 3, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #6,452 of 6,987
Nov 3, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #6,455 of 6,987
I like DnB, sometimes dubstep, and I also like Trip-Hop.

Guess you're in the right place then 
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #6,456 of 6,987
Just wanted to discuss that a little, and curious why people like dubstep, because it seems to have really "taken off."  It might be the whole "techno/EDM crowd"  that is just moving around to new Genres, but it's just not for me...

Hopefully I don't anger anyone, but I really dislike Dubstep.  I have heard MAYBE 1 song that was good.  I just find the Bass kills the melody, and I love me a good melody.  Maybe it's just the song people have posted but it's just overkill... IMO.  The majority of people that you see LOVE bass, but some of us don't :frowning2:.  I remember there was a video game super mario song that sounded great at first, and then all of a sudden WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMP.... LOL..

FWIW I'm sure a lot of people also dislike VGM as well :p, that's why we all have our own tastes!

Thoughts?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nov 3, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #6,457 of 6,987
@Eurobeat Depends what you mean by dubstep really - what I'd call 'serious' dubstep, like Burial, or this kind of OTT new breed of dubstep which is all about the drop, bass overload and not much else. I think you're talking about the latter, but there's some seriously good stuff from the original form of dubstep, which I'd say emerged in the mid-noughties, e.g.

Scuba - Negative / Speak (2009)

Distance - My Demons (2007)

Nov 3, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #6,458 of 6,987
  @Eurobeat Depends what you mean by dubstep really - what I'd call 'serious' dubstep, like Burial, or this kind of OTT new breed of dubstep which is all about the drop, bass overload and not much else. I think you're talking about the latter, but there's some seriously good stuff from the original form of dubstep, which I'd say emerged in the mid-noughties, e.g.

Yeah, I'm assuming the "main stream"; stuff....

AS for these songs, they don't really do it for me.  It's more of a beat, then a full blast of music I guess.  Kind of slow, laid back?????  Some of the newer stuff seems faster with all the womp womp lol..

Nov 3, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #6,459 of 6,987
  @Eurobeat Depends what you mean by dubstep really - what I'd call 'serious' dubstep, like Burial, or this kind of OTT new breed of dubstep which is all about the drop, bass overload and 

Exactly.

I've listened to some exceptionally awful dubstep- I mean really, really bad, but then again, if I was forced to name my favorite all time electronic artist then hands down for me it would be Burial (also in the dubtep genre).   He is on a completely different/higher level than anyone else IMHO.  I suspect some may not like him because of his relative popularity (hey, even my grandma knows who Burial is..... and Banksy....), but to me he is still the king.

This is just another example of why musical labels/subgenres in the electronic music segment mean nothing to me but I understand some people like categorizing things that way.

Nov 3, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #6,460 of 6,987

Yeah, I'm assuming the "main stream"; stuff....

AS for these songs, they don't really do it for me.  It's more of a beat, then a full blast of music I guess.  Kind of slow, laid back?????  Some of the newer stuff seems faster with all the womp womp lol..

You're thinking more of this kind of abomination I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJQ6SW1h-CM. Dubstep always was slower tempo before it got hijacked by the ADHD crowd and animetronified. The HORROR...

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #6,461 of 6,987

You're thinking more of this kind of abomination I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJQ6SW1h-CM. Dubstep always was slower tempo before it got hijacked by the ADHD crowd and animetronified. The HORROR...

The video says

​This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

So I cannot say how I feel about the song...  Unless it's this one?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FV_Cl7R794  the song arund 6 mins wasn't too bad, but it wasn't really dubstep...

However the comment about the type of people who listen to it, based on a mental irregularity is quite odd... But I doubt there is a correlation at all.

Nov 4, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #6,462 of 6,987

Scuba and distance are excellent. While we are on the topic of Scuba, Triangulation is a great album. Particularly, this song is excellent. It's the first scuba song I heard, and I've always loved it :D

Nov 4, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #6,463 of 6,987
@Eurobeat

I used to hate Dubstep and for the most part I'm not too much of a fan of typical dubstep, but I've come to REALLY like liquid dubstep.   I like bass so I tend to like the Dubstep with great sub-bass.   Seven Lions really nails it for me there.   Koda is also a huge favorite of mine, he can go from very chill ambient to bass driven liquid dub.

Liquid Dub (light bass/mostly ambient)

Liquid Dub (medium bass/sub-bass)

Liquid Dub (heavier on the sub-bass)

Some of my all time favorites and all show a good range of dub.   While you didn't say it, many think Dub is all about the "wubwub" but some artists do a great job weaving it in so it doesn't sound like the focus of the song.   That being said, dubstep, liquid dubstep and all the other sub-genres are not for everyone.

Also known as Melodic Dubstep.

Nov 4, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #6,464 of 6,987

Scuba and distance are excellent. While we are on the topic of Scuba, Triangulation is a great album. Particularly, this song is excellent. It's the first scuba song I heard, and I've always loved it :D

Yeah, it's a classic - the album, and that song you picked out in particular. Probably Scuba's best album I'd say. I dig the more house-oriented stuff he's done since then like Personality as well, but he really nailed a certain sound and mood on Triangulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back