Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.)
Nov 18, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #3,721 of 6,987
See the kind of thing you're talking about I usually just call harsh, or bad, honestly. lol

Heavy and Deep are very similar the way I tend to use them. Deep gets used when the sound is a bit more atmospheric (Burial), where as I use Heavy to describe things like Lorn because it's a very up front 'weighted' sound. 

Still aggressive, but not in a HIGH SYNTH STABS kind of way. Angst ridden maybe?

Quote:
well there you go then =]

intense is the word id use for lorn, not heavy. heavy to me is harsh and/or aggressive, when they mess around with the tempo and break beats, fast drums and mid-centric outbursts. when i say heavy, i mean the sound, not the atmosphere. when electronical music reminds you of metal, even though theres no electrical guitar or anything - thats heavy to me, something i dont like btw. this is one of the reasons i dont like djs like feed me or borgor. this is why i usually dont like "dark" dnb (although some of it is good, like the Current Value track i posted a while ago). sub bass is heavy in your opinion? does that make "the others" a heavy group in your book?

Nov 18, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #3,722 of 6,987
Quote:
See the kind of thing you're talking about I usually just call harsh, or bad, honestly. lol

Heavy and Deep are very similar the way I tend to use them. Deep gets used when the sound is a bit more atmospheric (Burial), where as I use Heavy to describe things like Lorn because it's a very up front 'weighted' sound. 

Still aggressive, but not in a HIGH SYNTH STABS kind of way. Angst ridden maybe?

"I usually just call harsh, or bad, honestly" yea id like to clarify about that actually, i kinda gave "heavy" a negative meaning (albeit subjectively), what i meant to say was that heavy to me, is music that sounds "loud" even if the volume is low. 
when i listen to music, i usually have to resist the urge to turn it up, whereas when i listen to "heavy music", i usually turn it down.
i do like heavy music, i just wont listen to it as often as i do not-heavy music. i have some albums ill only listen to when in a specific mood.

"deep" dubstep to me is dubstep with thought behind it, dubstep similar to the "original" dubstep sound (meaning skream) or downtempo dubstep. groups like truth, burial, enigma dubz, the others etc. 'weighted' is a good way of putting it actually.

"Still aggressive, but not in a HIGH SYNTH STABS kind of way. Angst ridden maybe?" sorry, didnt get that, are you suggesting a definition for "heavy"? cause if so, angst ridden is probably accurate.

Nov 18, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #3,723 of 6,987
But wouldn't 'weighted' mean Heavy? :D Your Deep and my Heavy are the same, methinks.

Quote:

"deep" dubstep to me is dubstep with thought behind it, dubstep similar to the "original" dubstep sound (meaning skream) or downtempo dubstep. groups like truth, burial, enigma dubz, the others etc. 'weighted' is a good way of putting it actually.

"Still aggressive, but not in a HIGH SYNTH STABS kind of way. Angst ridden maybe?" sorry, didnt get that, are you suggesting a definition for "heavy"? cause if so, angst ridden is probably accurate.

Yes that's what I was suggesting.

Nov 18, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #3,724 of 6,987
Quote:
But wouldn't 'weighted' mean Heavy? :D Your Deep and my Heavy are the same, methinks.

lol, maybe its just all those years as a metalhead that twisted the way i understand the word "heavy"... after all, it doesnt get much heavier after a couple of years listening to black metal XD this is all subjective understanding of the meaning of words anyway, but i enjoyed it.

btw, because of our discussion i went back to the first post of this thread and i noticed you didnt have phuturprimitive as an example to glitch-hop. now, i only discovered glitch-hop thanks to this thread and i dont know that many groups, but wouldnt phuturprimitive more or less define the genre?

anyway, im off to bed, good night (though i imagine its like the middle of the afternoon in texas?)

Nov 18, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #3,725 of 6,987
That is a fairly old post I quoted for truth on the first page. TehJam did that awhile back. 

And yes, it's 6:30pm over here. Might go to a movie with the lady and come back to some more turntable action. 

Pissed my copy of Halo 4 isn't here yet or I'd have done that all day.

Quote:
lol, maybe its just all those years as a metalhead that twisted the way i understand the word "heavy"... after all, it doesnt get much heavier after a couple of years listening to black metal XD this is all subjective understanding of the meaning of words anyway, but i enjoyed it.

btw, because of our discussion i went back to the first post of this thread and i noticed you didnt have phuturprimitive as an example to glitch-hop. now, i only discovered glitch-hop thanks to this thread and i dont know that many groups, but wouldnt phuturprimitive more or less define the genre?

anyway, im off to bed, good night (though i imagine its like the middle of the afternoon in texas?)

Nov 18, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #3,726 of 6,987
Quote:
That is a fairly old post I quoted for truth on the first page. TehJam did that awhile back. 

And yes, it's 6:30pm over here. Might go to a movie with the lady and come back to some more turntable action. 

Pissed my copy of Halo 4 isn't here yet or I'd have done that all day.

I can do a revision of that post if you guys want  
L3000.gif
  (I got a couple things wrong there as well woops)

Btw, I'm buying Halo 4 off a friend this week, cant wait. 

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #3,730 of 6,987
what a disappointment! the others are among my favorites and emalkay are pretty good imo too, when i saw they released a track together i was expecting a LOT more

the video is pretty dumb too, but does anyone recognize those headphones? they seemed familiar to me...

edit: new TRUTH tomorrow! and it looks like ill only get to listen to it on the weekend >_<

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #3,731 of 6,987
Quote:
SR009 and TH900.
biggrin.gif

Since when did you get TH900s?

And I also have to get a new live subscription which may take some time too, getting back into it is costing me man.

Quote:
what a disappointment! the others are among my favorites and emalkay are pretty good imo too, when i saw they released a track together i was expecting a LOT more

the video is pretty dumb too, but does anyone recognize those headphones? they seemed familiar to me...

edit: new TRUTH tomorrow! and it looks like ill only get to listen to it on the weekend >_<

Already listened, get excited dude, amazing EP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back