Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.)
Apr 20, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #2,386 of 6,987

[size=1.8333em] Varien - Nights in Bangalore (Dirt Monkey Remix)[/size]

[size=1.8333em] KDrew - Bullseye[/size]

[size=1.8333em] Kraddy - Heart Anthem (Cryptex Remix)[/size]

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #2,387 of 6,987

[size=1.8333em] Cryptex - Footsteps[/size]

[size=1.8333em] Cryptex - Slay It[/size]

[size=1.8333em] Cryptex - Ambient Sounds[/size]

Just getting into this guy. He's good. Really good. http://soundcloud.com/cryptex

btw should check out Summer Rain by him (http://soundcloud.com/cryptex/summer-rain) It's more idm, and Free. :)

Apr 21, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #2,390 of 6,987
sup everyone just getting more into electronic music, I know there's a lot of genres but what's the main differences between the genres and how to differentiate? thnx :}

also any good blogspots that update with good music all the time ? I have a few different blogs that post great music from my fav rock/metal/hip hop artists and post new albums to download for free and mixtapes, but haven't found a good one for electronic music except this thread lol.  I found this one http://www.gottadancedirty.com/ but not sure what kinda artists they post and if it's good being new to the scene and all

Apr 21, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #2,391 of 6,987
Welcome oskarcaz, good for you getting into EDM.

To start off, most EDM genres are differentiated by Beats Per Minute, BPM.

Here's a little guide, although it isn't the end-all be-all guide, it's a good place to start.

100 BPM - Glitch Hop, Mid-Tempo Dubstep
110 BPM - Moombahton
128 BPM - Electro House
140 BPM - Dubstep
175 BPM - Drum & Bass (Half-Time DnB or Drumstep is at 87ish)

These are just rough tempo estimates, everything isn't exactly like that. I didn't include Trance or House either, I don't listen to them.

Now, to only give you a BPM guide wouldn't be very helpful. So I'll give some small descriptions on each genre.

Glitch Hop is usually pretty dark stuff, but it doesn't have to be. It has hip-hop roots I believe, it's a solid genre. Mid-tempo dubstep is very similar.

Examples: The Glitch Mob, Cryptex, Opiuo, KOAN Sound, Pretty Lights, Culprate, ill. Gates

Electro House is basically dirty house music, it's more intense and more fun in my opinion. It's very popular in clubs etc, Moombahton is basically a slowed down version, it's very bouncy and energetic.

Examples: Zedd, Porter Robinson, Feed Me, The M Machine, Knife Party, Dillon Francis (Moombahton)

Dubstep has just started to gain a ton of popularity. It's been around for a little over 10 years and was originally influenced by Dub and Garage music. Now it ranges from minimal deep stuff to insane electro influenced music (some people call it Brostep). In between is chillstep, and there's also the really heavy stuff as well. I apologize for saying stuff so much.

Examples (Deeper): Truth, Reso, Biome, Skream, Distance
Examples (brosteppy): Skrillex, Kill The Noise, Datsik, Flux Pavilion
Examples (chillstep + in between): Gemini, Nero, Chasing Shadows, Emalkay, Numbernin6, Koven
Examples (heavy/filthy): Trolley Snatcha, Funtcase, Torqux, Tim Ismag

Last but definitely not least is DnB. DnB and dubstep are my two favorite genres, dubstep takes a lot of influence from DnB. The genre is fast paced, complex, and amazing. It spans from liquid smooth (Liquid) to dark and erratic (neurofunk). There is also some in between, as well as half time DnB (drumstep).

Examples: Camo & Krooked, Chase & Status, Shockone, Dirtyphonics, High Maintenance
Examples (Liquid): Netsky, Logistics, Rollz, Hybrid Minds, High Contrast, SPY, Brookes Brothers
Examples (neurofunk): Noisia, Spor, Xilent, Evol Intent
Examples (drumstep): Terravita, Tantrum Desire, Figure

That's just a little intro to the EDM I listen to, hope it helps, sorry for it being disorganized as I'm trying to do this on my phone.

Apr 21, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #2,393 of 6,987
 Wow clears up a lot, I'm gonna start listening to all the artists you listed in examples. I was not expecting such a good post thanks!

again does anyone have any blogs they follow where they post new music to download free ? 

Apr 21, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #2,394 of 6,987

Quote:
 Wow clears up a lot, I'm gonna start listening to all the artists you listed in examples. I was not expecting such a good post thanks!

again does anyone have any blogs they follow where they post new music to download free ? 

FreshNewTracks uploads some decent stuff, they've started to diversify a bit.

Electrodub has a nice blogspot too, although I haven't used it in a while. 

this is Fanatical is a good place to go as well, starting to use it.

Otherwise I'm not sure, I don't use blogs much.

Quote:
I should make you 'co-chair' in this thread. Lol

Not a bad idea, eh?

Edit:

Here's a solid DnB track, love this guy's channel:

Aaaaand one more:

Apr 21, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #2,396 of 6,987

Quote:
Welcome oskarcaz, good for you getting into EDM.
To start off, most EDM genres are differentiated by Beats Per Minute, BPM.
Here's a little guide, although it isn't the end-all be-all guide, it's a good place to start.
100 BPM - Glitch Hop, Mid-Tempo Dubstep
110 BPM - Moombahton
128 BPM - Electro House
140 BPM - Dubstep
175 BPM - Drum & Bass (Half-Time DnB or Drumstep is at 87ish)
These are just rough tempo estimates, everything isn't exactly like that. I didn't include Trance or House either, I don't listen to them.
Now, to only give you a BPM guide wouldn't be very helpful. So I'll give some small descriptions on each genre.
Glitch Hop is usually pretty dark stuff, but it doesn't have to be. It has hip-hop roots I believe, it's a solid genre. Mid-tempo dubstep is very similar.
Examples: The Glitch Mob, Cryptex, Opiuo, KOAN Sound, Pretty Lights, Culprate, ill. Gates
Electro House is basically dirty house music, it's more intense and more fun in my opinion. It's very popular in clubs etc, Moombahton is basically a slowed down version, it's very bouncy and energetic.
Examples: Zedd, Porter Robinson, Feed Me, The M Machine, Knife Party, Dillon Francis (Moombahton)
Dubstep has just started to gain a ton of popularity. It's been around for a little over 10 years and was originally influenced by Dub and Garage music. Now it ranges from minimal deep stuff to insane electro influenced music (some people call it Brostep). In between is chillstep, and there's also the really heavy stuff as well. I apologize for saying stuff so much.
Examples (Deeper): Truth, Reso, Biome, Skream, Distance
Examples (brosteppy): Skrillex, Kill The Noise, Datsik, Flux Pavilion
Examples (chillstep + in between): Gemini, Nero, Chasing Shadows, Emalkay, Numbernin6
Examples (heavy/filthy): Trolley Snatcha, Funtcase, Torqux, Tim Ismag
Last but definitely not least is DnB. DnB and dubstep are my two favorite genres, dubstep takes a lot of influence from DnB. The genre is fast paced, complex, and amazing. It spans from liquid smooth (Liquid) to dark and erratic (neurofunk). There is also some in between, as well as half time DnB (drumstep).
Examples: Camo & Krooked, Chase & Status, Shockone, Dirtyphonics, High Maintenance
Examples (Liquid): Netsky, Logistics, Rollz, Hybrid Minds, High Contrast, SPY, Brookes Brothers
Examples (neurofunk): Noisia, Spor, Xilent, Evol Intent
Examples (drumstep): Terravita, Tantrum Desire, Figure
That's just a little intro to the EDM I listen to, hope it helps, sorry for it being disorganized as trying to do this on my phone.

Nice write up, my dude. I would have to throw Commix in the DnB section, although idk what subgenre they fall into. I know they've separated, but their stuff will remain at the top of the totem pole for me... ie - Call to Mind.

Also, deep DnB like Jubei, Dub Phizix, Ulterior Motive, Subwave, and Cern is amazing.

And Drumfunk like Seba, Fanu, Paradox, and Equinox is a must.

Quote:

I dig Ital Tek.

Apr 21, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #2,397 of 6,987

Quote:

Nice write up, my dude. I would have to throw Commix in the DnB section, although idk what subgenre they fall into. I know they've separated, but their stuff will remain at the top of the totem pole for me... ie - Call to Mind.

Also, deep DnB like Jubei, Dub Phizix, Ulterior Motive, Subwave, and Cern is amazing.

And Drumstep like Seba, Fanu, Paradox, and Equinox is a must.

I'l look into them. 

For the man in bold:

So good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back