Electrodynamic and electrostatic headphones now obsolete ?
Dec 18, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #106 of 115
I think it's because it's more about the debate and arguing than the outcome in french culture
smily_headphones1.gif

Indeed...

Sep 6, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #107 of 115
Unless planar magnetic headphones can be made a lot lighter, they aren't going to be a real winner, IMO. I even convert a pair of planar magnetic headphones into electrostatic and they sound amazingly good.

Wachara C.

Abyss 1266 TC has a membrane thinner than 009 .
So yes it's better now. I've listened to it. 009 is dethroned and Abyss is king.

Sep 6, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #108 of 115
Wow, what a thread, born in 2013 seems to fit the 2020 election season.

I wrote in another thread that the percentage of cans retailing over $1000 in 10 years will see the percentage of planars decrease - because either or both new technologies (ribbon and HEDD) will grow quite a bit. I think Estats will remain fairly constant, maybe drop a percent or two. Piston drivers - probably fairly constant - maybe drop a point.

As for the best? It does seem now that planars have the most candidates for that title. In my book - Phi and Susvara are the best, but have to compete with the Estat trinity: 007, 009, Voce, Rall, 800S, HEDD.

Today I can't pick a #1. But the group that vies for that is: 007A II, Susvara, Voce (HFM Jr amp), Phi (current).

Raal and Hedd are just starting out, far better entries than the earlier technologies for sure, not quite ready to play at the top. 800S with a well matched front end and a digital EQ the cheapest member of the group gets quite far, just not far enough.

Sep 6, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #109 of 115
So yes it's better now. I've listened to it. 009 is dethroned and Abyss is king.

you forget the fact that, the signal in electrostatics is in the stators not on the diaphragm. Therefore, electrostatic driver diaphragm does not have that etched circuit pattern to make it interact with magnetic field. Electrostatic headphone diaphragms are STILL much lighter than planar diaphragms. Probably even 0.5 micron diaphragm of planars is heavier than 1 micron diaphragm of electrostatic drivers because on top of that diaphragm there is an aluminium trace that is holding the signal. Also, having lighter diaphragm brings a lot of problems, they are harder to control, may require much more acoustical damping because they are prone to get out of control in high frequencies more. More acoustical damping may result darker sound signature. Or what it happens with abyss TC, there can be a lot of ringing issues in multiple frequencies. Abyss is fine to listen hip-hop, pop soft vocal music but you realize it's problems after listening to a well recorded chamber music or string quartet. And that is where electrostatics start to really shine.

and for RAAL, I owned them, they have serious bass distortion issues(like 7% distortion in sub bass region and it doesn't get low until like 100hz), there is a nasty 1.8khz peak which makes everything sound shouty, high trebles are almost non-existent.(there is literally nothing going on after 10khz) Mid-detail is on par with 009S(which means absurdly high), bass sounds like speaker bass(without coloration). These are good things about it.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #110 of 115

Yea.... I wouldn't agree. Totally depends on your preferences, but to me the 009 is damn near unmatched. It has the most natural and complete sound, as well as the absolute best midrange of the three. Definitely lacks a bit on the bottom end for sure.

I really like the TCs and Susvaras, but I'd probably give them both up for the 009. That said, I keep all three tied at the #1 spot because they're each extremely good and it just depends on the music and mood in terms of which one I pick up.

Sep 6, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #111 of 115
As a former STAX zealot, their time is coming to an end (just not yet tomorrow.)

The TC and SR1a are equals and are the future.

Sep 6, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #112 of 115
As a former STAX zealot, their time is coming to an end (just not yet tomorrow.)

The TC and SR1a are equals and are the future.

Will also say that this feels inevitable and true.

Sep 6, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #113 of 115
The hard part is that we will never agree on anything, people's opinion on what is "best" is subjective. Some believe the OG HD800 are "best" some believe the 009 are also best, some haven't heard the Orpheus but still think those are best. It's very hard to actually pinpoint all the top tier headphones would have to be auditioned by a group of people and maybe the general top pick could be considered "best". The only problem is so many say that a better cable/amp/dac can make xxx headphone better than xx headphone.... Generally I consider the Abyss 1266 Phi TC/ 009S/ HE-1 best....

I don't think Electrostats are going anywhere as long as Stax stays in business, Shangrila and Orpheus are both Electrostats for a reason. But Planars are closing in and some might even say they're ahead but that's subjective honestly...dynamic headphones have been passed up years ago nothing can come close. Hell I have HD800s and even with a good amp/DAC they don't sound as good as my old 009s ....

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #114 of 115
Me too much prefer the sound of estat, above all 009 and JadeII. Closely followed by the edynamic Utopia. Magnetoplanar? yes, of course, I like a lot HEKv2.
I don't think the line can be drawn only based on technology. e.g. never liked the sound sig of Abyss (the older models, must confess I have never listened to the new PHI TC), 007, LCD (all of them) or Sony Z1R.
Yes, personal taste, that's all about TOTL IMHO.
Ribbon, other exotic technolgies? still have to listen to something that can come close to a 009/JadeII/Utopia

Sep 11, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #115 of 115
The hype surround the Abyss does have gotten me interested into trying them out. I didn't like any of the planars (LCD-4, Susvara, Diana Phi, HE-1000,...) so would be curious to hear what these headphones are capable off.

Too bad I don't know anyone who owns these pair for me test it out.

Anyway, I would still wait for a new Abyss version that can be driven straight out of a Chord Dave as I do not like headphone amplifiers (based on my testing, it adds nothing but distortion).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back