Elac Debut Series Speakers By Andrew Jones
Jul 11, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #35 of 46
I received The UB5's about two weeks ago.  They are a more refined Debut IMHO. Well Rounded Impressive Detail in the Mid and High range and it still hits low notes far better than expected from a bookshelf. I have drove these pretty hard after a few days and they took it with stride, So while more refined that the Debuts they can still get in your face with out falling apart . The Debut's are still a heavy hitter in their Price class, but if you have the $ in your budget the UNI-Fi' definitely deserve a Listen They definitely hit way above their Price class and the wife likes The look of the UNI -Fi's more than the Debut so that's a plus.

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #36 of 46
  I received The UB5's about two weeks ago.  They are a more refined Debut IMHO. Well Rounded Impressive Detail in the Mid and High range and it still hits low notes far better than expected from a bookshelf. I have drove these pretty hard after a few days and they took it with stride, So while more refined that the Debuts they can still get in your face with out falling apart . The Debut's are still a heavy hitter in their Price class, but if you have the $ in your budget the UNI-Fi' definitely deserve a Listen They definitely hit way above their Price class and the wife likes The look of the UNI -Fi's more than the Debut so that's a plus.

Glad you go them, and great to know it's a genuine upgrade. I too am eyeing an UB5...

Some queries though: Are they mainly for near-field listening experience, and can they be used to "fill a room" with sound? And are they fussy about setup/positioning?

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #37 of 46

Glad you go them, and great to know it's a genuine upgrade. I too am eyeing an UB5...

Some queries though: Are they mainly for near-field listening experience, and can they be used to "fill a room" with sound? And are they fussy about setup/positioning?

I have them in a Roughly 20 x 22 Room and the back half on the right side is open to another room. I am probably sitting about 12 feet away They Fill it just fine With one caveat. The Elac Towers and Book shelves are the same exact thing except with the Towers adding two more drivers to help fill in the Low end. I went with the Bookshelves and am using a PSB Powered Sub woofer to fill the gap as a Subwoofer generally has improved low end response and I can tune it to the room. The speakers are about 8 feet apart with roughly 16 inches from the ummm windows. Yes My new place has huge windows and the speakers are right in front of them .I hate things Blocking Windows. Amazing the sacrifice we make for our music, however when driven hard they move the curtains with the pressure generated by the woofers
L3000.gif
. I have them toed in slightly in.  They are not to fussy about positioning. I Find The sound stage in general is pretty wide.  The phantom image took only two beers to zero in.

BTW those who are interested and can wait The European version will be out in a few months and they will be in nicer finishes but will cost more
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/05/andrew-jones-talks-european-active-elac-ub5-loudspeaker/

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #38 of 46
In case anyone is interested in Dolby Atmos enabled modules, I tried out the ELAC A4 last week. I didn't feel they were a good sonic match for my setup, but the Atmos enabling worked OK in comparison to what I ended up with. Given their price point, good budget option for giving Atmos a try if one has an Atmos enabled receiver and can't do ceiling speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back