Elac Debut Series Speakers By Andrew Jones
Dec 10, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #16 of 46
It Looks like your post did come through. I definitely will be exploring more artists. Thank you for the recommendations. While Tidal is a little pricey one of the Advantages is the ability to explore new music, Although since Jay Z took over they seem to use the front page as a promotion ad for all that is unholy in the hip hop world.( I like Hip Hop/Rap but nothing I can think off that was recorded in the past 10- 15 years)

I did not really hear a difference otherwise with the tweeter grills on or off otherwise when i first took them off a month or so ago.When I revisited yesterday It's a Very small difference that can go almost unnoticed.  The Foam Plugs Look like they are something you can make yourself as they seem to look like the foam used for the auralex sound isolation products used in studios but with a more open cell design.It actually looks like the foam used in some shipping products.

I look forward to your Impressions.

An Update on the Emotiva Amp. I have the new one Plugged in and have used it for 2 days now. The Thud is significantly less and not as concerning but it seems to be a characteristic of this amp. I may Just turn the Volume Knob Down and leave it on unless I will be gone for a few days.

Dec 18, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #17 of 46
Mini X Number 2 ended up with a Loud THUD as bad as Mini X 1. Crenca I am curios have you had a similar issue?

Emotiva has been very good about this and is allowing me to upgrade to the Fusion Flex, It Has 2 Inputs a remote but is the same amp and power components. The Hope is that the Stand by button which is in addition to the power button in the back does not cause the same problem.

Dec 18, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #18 of 46
  Mini X Number 2 ended up with a Loud THUD as bad as Mini X 1. Crenca I am curios have you had a similar issue?

Emotiva has been very good about this and is allowing me to upgrade to the Fusion Flex, It Has 2 Inputs a remote but is the same amp and power components. The Hope is that the Stand by button which is in addition to the power button in the back does not cause the same problem.

Bigro,

There is what I would call a "moderate" thud when the amp kicks on.  I have it set to "auto" so it goes into power saving mode, and when it senses input it makes a bit of a "thud" or "pop", but nothing that worries me as it is not at a volume that concerns me and I don't see the woofers move or any other indication of a harmful amount of current.

I am still forming my impressions, as I just got back from a trip so I am listening to the setup for the first time in almost a week...

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #19 of 46
I returned the Second Mini-x and Got a Fusion Flex. Emotiva says theinternals are the same as the mini- But with 2 Inputs , Remote and Digitally controlled analog volume. I use the standby button on the remote or the front of the amp and you don't even know it's been turned on. I do not know the difference in the power switching but it works. Emotiva went out of their way to make it right. I am very happy with the final out come.

Changing gears. I was at the Local Best Buy with the new Magnolia Section. They carry some of the higher end Martin Logan and Bowers and Wilkins speakers. With all the $$$$ the put into that display it solidified what a value the B6's really are. I realized that some of the sibiliance I hear on the B6's is there in even the BW 804D on some tracks. It was not until I heard the higher end BW with Macintosh Mono Blocks That I heard a significant difference. Those speakers were $17,000 a Pair.With massive amounts of power and conditioning behind it. And I am sure one cable alone costs more than a Pair of B6's.It is a solid performer and with the right setup and source behind it can get very close to a high dollar system with ease.

Dec 24, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #20 of 46
Bigro,

I am glad Emotiva made it right.  For whatever reason, my a-100 does not have the problem - indeed, after spending more time with it I am going to downgrade my "thud" from a "moderate" to a "slight" in volume/impact.  It just is not at all significant.

I am going to rate my B6/Emotiva/iFI iDSD combo (less than $750 total) as at least the equivalent of the B&W 650 + Rotel RA-1570 combo I heard at a dealer recently.  I say "at least" because I like the overall character of the Elac B6's better than the B&W 650's.  Whereas the Elac's might* give a bit of midrange/human voice accuracy away to the B&W's, the treble is much more "natural" and the bass is more extended and more controlled in my opinion.  I say "might give away a bit of midrange accuracy" because I wonder what they would sound like hooked up to an amp like the Rotel RA-1590, which costs 10x what the Emotiva costs.  

Now, I also heard the CM5 S2's and I think I would take these over the Elac B6's, but they cost $1500 a pair and still have that overemphasized treble (though it is accurate/smooth).  So, the Elac B6's at $279 fall somewhere between the $650 B&W 650's and the $1500 CM5's.  Not a bad deal at all.

A couple of days ago my brother-in-law was over and I told him he could cue up whatever he wanted in Tidal.  He pulled up "Back in Black" (ACDC) and played it loud.  I was taken back to my youth, and I don't ever remember ACDC sounding so clear and so good.  Not what I normally listen to these days but the "fun" factor was defiantly there...

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #21 of 46
Crenca,
I am happy you like them . I am curious to see when Mr. Jones puts those wonderful ribbon tweeters into the US Version of the Elacs what we may be looking at. The BW Highs were in your face. I am curious if you noted the source and the way there were connected. I got to thinking more about it,They were using an Oppo Blu Ray player with a CD playing connected through an HDMI switch then to a surround processor via hdmi. I suspect this may have been a problem.Possibly using a DSP setting/ Preset set eq. It was not until we went to the room where there were only 2 channel amps where things really sounded good.

I Do Agree , The B6's really seem to take well to being played pretty loud before there is even a hint of distortion. I do prefer the  sounding highs and bass extension is very nice. I use a sub adjusted at 55-60hz because that's just before where the Curve on these starts to fall off on the B6's. But really I forget to turn the sub on half the time and don't realize it. I am running a Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC and a Valhalla 2 as a OTL Tube Preamp. I don't get the feeling of the midrange (vocal) range being inaccurate. Funny how the components in the chain seem to make more of a difference than one expects.

Dec 24, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #22 of 46
With voices I am very very familiar with, like James Taylor (I have listened to his recordings on all sorts of equipment and seen him live) or Mark Knopfler, I notice just a hint of "veil" or inaccuracy.  However, I admit that it is quite small - just not quite as accurate as say the B&W CM5's or GoldenEar's line (of course, these speakers are many times the price of the Elac's).  It really is only a 95% vs 99% thing and I don't notice it unless I am listening critically.  Interestingly, I do not notice it with female vocalists I am familiar with, so it must be a rather narrow FR thing, or perhaps something else in my chain, or an artifact of my listening room perhaps.  I tend to exclude the iFI DAC, because when I plug headphones into it I don't detect this - but we both know that the line out and the headphone amp have different circuitry.  Could be the Emotiva amplification - I wonder what the B6's would sound like with a more expensive amp like a Rotel or a Rouge Audio.

As far as the B&W's you could be right about the "switching chain" at the audio dealer I was at, however it is common place to hear criticisms of B&W's "hot" treble (even if it is otherwise accurate) which leads to listening fatigue sooner than other speakers.  The internet conspiracy theory is that it helps them stand out in the show room when switching between their brand and other speakers, and there might be some truth to that - but perhaps their designers/customer base simply like the sound.  Honestly, having read about it before listening to the B&W's it was not as pronounced as I expected (and I like my treble on the "relaxed" side just a bit) but it was clearly there.  But, like I said I would rate CM5's over these Elac's if price were no object.  Given the price differential however, and the fact that the Elac's seem to do 95% of what the B&W's do, I will take the Elac's all day long.

I am with you, I am looking forward to Mr. Jones next Elac line - I suspect I will be purchasing them as soon as they come out without an audition.  It's official, I am now an Andrew Jones fan....If I am ever in LA perhaps I will stand outside the Elac offices one morning for an autograph...  :)

Dec 25, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #23 of 46
OT;

Emotiva had to drop the volume knob for Fusion in place of buttons and a remote? Yech.

Dec 26, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #24 of 46
I don't really use the volume control, I use the one on the Preamp. However the remote give me the ability to at least mute and not get off the couch, The Button system is still an analog volume adjusting system and tracks very well. The main reason I went with the fusion was two Mini X's when powered on would push my speakers to what seemed like almost full excursion with its very loud thud. A little movement or sound did not bother me this was a little excessive. The Fusion is the same internals as the Minix but with remote , volume knob delete and two inputs, However I do not hear a sound when I power it on unless My ear is up to the speaker. I do admit the Mini x looked a lot nicer and I prefer Knobs but at least for me the Fusions added functionality is very nice.

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #26 of 46
My B6's will be here Friday. I'm excited. Initially I'll be driving them with my SAE integrated amp, 75 WPC / 8 ohms. Later, something from Emotiva. Perhaps a pair of XPA-100 mono blocks.
wink_face.gif

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #27 of 46
  My B6's will be here Friday. I'm excited. Initially I'll be driving them with my SAE integrated amp, 75 WPC / 8 ohms. Later, something from Emotiva. Perhaps a pair of XPA-100 mono blocks.
wink_face.gif

Nice. 75WPC @ 8 ohms is plenty. I am using the Emotiva Fusion Flex for the B6's which is 75Wpc @ 8ohms and there is more than Enough power. I looked at the Mono Blocks from Emotiva too, the overkill was very appealing
L3000.gif

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #28 of 46
  Nice. 75WPC @ 8 ohms is plenty. I am using the Emotiva Fusion Flex for the B6's which is 75Wpc @ 8ohms and there is more than Enough power. I looked at the Mono Blocks from Emotiva too, the overkill was very appealing
L3000.gif

Yes, I hope the SAE will work well. I'm also considering the XPA-200 @ 150 W / channel if it comes back into stock.

Jan 28, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #29 of 46

Yes, I hope the SAE will work well. I'm also considering the XPA-200 @ 150 W / channel if it comes back into stock.

Looks like Emotiva is simply selling out their existing gen 2 stock in anticipation of the soon to be released gen 3 line, so it appears you will have to reach for the equivalent of the XPA-200 from the new line instead...

Jan 29, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #30 of 46

Looks like Emotiva is simply selling out their existing gen 2 stock in anticipation of the soon to be released gen 3 line, so it appears you will have to reach for the equivalent of the XPA-200 from the new line instead...

Well. my B6's arrived this afternoon. I must say I'm very impressed. Excellent frequency response and expansive sound stage.  I thought they might be a little difficult to drive, but my SAE with 75 watts will really light them up. 

I spoke with Emotiva and they have stopped production on the XPA-200. However, the new lineup is in the pipeline. 

And, I spoke to ELAC and they will be soon selling an integrated amplifier and a music server. Interesting times ahead. 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back