EHHA Rev A - Interest Thread
Oct 1, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #663 of 1,752
it's great to see a lot of unfamiliar DIYers (to me anyway) interested in boards.  this should be a fairly straight and forward build.  i'm still in for 2 stereo pairs...that is if Sachu hasn't driven up the 6GM8 to unobtanium
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 1, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #664 of 1,752
haha..well i landed the teles on a second chance offer on fleabay  and then a day later there was Max with his huge tube sale on DIYA and the 6GM8s were going cheap too. Too good a deal to pass up knowing how rare they have become. One pair of the GEs is already destined for Ujamer.

Oct 1, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #666 of 1,752

Quote:
Speaking strictly in reference to the EHHA I, it’s the best headphone amp I’ve ever heard, period. I was able to hear chair squeaks before the EHHA, now I can hear the outside traffic noise, diesel and unleaded are clearly discerned. 

I’ve just ordered “The Horn” speaker from Ed at The Horn Shoppe, I can’t wait to give these babies a workout with this amp.   

Interesting to see how many of us Cavalli Audio fans are also FR driver fans...

Here's some FR driver pron:

TB-W8-nat-wCopper-comp.jpg

They are Tang Band W8-1808s.  In transit to me as they were just completed by Dave at Planet 10 Audio and they will be going into Decware's Zen Open Baffle speakers that will be built with Walnut ply baffle/sides and Corian for the bass cabinets.  I'll probably use them again in an enlarged Fonken GR or Castles design next. 

My Liquid Gold prototype will be pushing close to 15W/ch balanced and I plan to push the EHHA Rev. A's to 15W/ch minimum, probably closer to 35W later. 

I also have AudioSector F5 boards and I do plan to build up that beast too.  It's getting a modded PS to really drop the noise and ripple so it can drive headphones as well as speakers.  I plan to compare the F5 to the EHHA Rev. A  and future commercial Cavalli Audio prototypes unless the EHHA Rev. A really just spanks the F5 when it's at 35W/ch.  If that proves to be the case as I suspect it will be, I'll just sell off the populated F5 boards then mod the PS for the EHHA and bump them up to 50W.  :) 

AC, when your back online, I'm in for four boards.  Maybe five as I have a tendency to toast one when soldering a little too hot. 
redface.gif
  I can always run the single as an active ground.  

Oct 1, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #667 of 1,752

Quote:
haha..well i landed the teles on a second chance offer on fleabay  and then a day later there was Max with his huge tube sale on DIYA and the 6GM8s were going cheap too. Too good a deal to pass up knowing how rare they have become. One pair of the GEs is already destined for Ujamer.

DIYA? Is that the name of a site?

Oct 1, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #669 of 1,752
sorry for the OT...

Boiler,
nice drivers!  i've built 2 different Planet-10 designs for the Fostex  FF85K.  i'm listening to my y2/B1/F5 as i type.  after owning Naim, Krell and ATC, none of them compare to these simple DIY projects.  i also built a remote PS for the F5 with added caps in the amp proper and 12AWG wire with the intention of driving my K702.  i have yet to hook them up, but i'm hoping the PSRR of the design is good enough with a simple CRC PS without adding monster inductors.  i just need to add a couple more coats of tung-oil on the sapele wood PS chassis and cut the top-plate and she's done.  i'm using PD's boards as well.  there's a good reason why the F5 is so popular...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b353/fishski13/F5/IMG_5489.jpg 

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b353/fishski13/F5/IMG_5492.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b353/fishski13/uFonken2/016.jpg

Oct 2, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #672 of 1,752
studeb,
thanks.  any noise issues?  i'm guessing the plank is around 10"x 16"?

Oct 2, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #675 of 1,752

Quote:
board is supposed to be 12x14
will make a wood and metal case
As it is it is pretty quiet.

wood and metal always look good, especially if DIYed
smile_phones.gif

stixx,
i hope your EHHA looks as sexy as your M3.  if memory serves me correct, your dining room has plenty of space for amps...and Schwarzbier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back