EHHA Rev A - Interest Thread
Sep 29, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #631 of 1,752
Speaking strictly in reference to the EHHA I, it’s the best headphone amp I’ve ever heard, period. I was able to hear chair squeaks before the EHHA, now I can hear the outside traffic noise, diesel and unleaded are clearly discerned. 

I’ve just ordered “The Horn” speaker from Ed at The Horn Shoppe, I can’t wait to give these babies a workout with this amp.   

Sep 30, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #633 of 1,752

Quote:
Speaking strictly in reference to the EHHA I, it’s the best headphone amp I’ve ever heard, period. I was able to hear chair squeaks before the EHHA, now I can hear the outside traffic noise, diesel and unleaded are clearly discerned. 

I’ve just ordered “The Horn” speaker from Ed at The Horn Shoppe, I can’t wait to give these babies a workout with this amp.   

biggrin.gif
I told you so!!
biggrin.gif

Oh, and I came home to these sitting in my mailbox today. 
wink.gif

The teles are still in their plastic wrapper while the Ges are all NOS as well and are "made in Holland". Definitely made in the Amperex factory. Not many turned out these low voltage tubes back in the day.

Sep 30, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #635 of 1,752
number three is running
no issues at all, the 50VA transformer is not sweating. The regs are hot though.

i can go over the numbers and SQ later, i am too tired and have a headache to go on much longer and i have to move to my stereo as my minidisc player is not the final word in sources. But for now, i will say this amp is superb. gobs of detail, bass control, dare i say PRAT? I got a tube rush/hiss with the Sony MDR-V6, but with AKG sextetts that is gone.

Sep 30, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #636 of 1,752

High praise from a man who also owns a B22! Indeed, it is a very impressive piece.

Those speakers look very interesting. I will be very curious to hear your impressions of them. The web site is also a trip. I like the Horn 2 just for the optional speaker grills. :wink:

Did I read somewhere correctly that, for speakers, you are putting out around 20W?

Sep 30, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #637 of 1,752

number three is running

no issues at all, the 50VA transformer is not sweating. The regs are hot though.

i can go over the numbers and SQ later, i am too tired and have a headache to go on much longer and i have to move to my stereo as my minidisc player is not the final word in sources. But for now, i will say this amp is superb. gobs of detail, bass control, dare i say PRAT? I got a tube rush/hiss with the Sony MDR-V6, but with AKG sextetts that is gone.

Great news studeb. Be sure to post some pics when you get a chance.

Sep 30, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #639 of 1,752

Quote:
I have extras on the 2inch parts. Drop me a PM if you want me to send them up.

Thanks for the offer, but I also discovered that between making the BOM and uploading the parts list to Digikey, I totally dropped all the 1uF box caps.  I've got to order those as well, so I'm just going to order my stuff.  That way I'll get it by the weekend and at least build while I wait for my transformer.

Sep 30, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #641 of 1,752
OT but, if the amp pairs well with those horns, think you'll be very pleased.  Positioning for them is important, but my speaker-buying days have been over since picking them up.  Full-rangers are a great complement/equivalent to high-end cans IMO.  Guess you'll be letting us know what you think:)

BTW, picked up Ed's "Bass Augmenter" when I was using a DIY FW F2 w/them, but don''t need or use it w/my DIY FW F1:

Quote:
<snip> I’ve just ordered “The Horn” speaker from Ed at The Horn Shoppe, I can’t wait to give these babies a workout with this amp.   

Sep 30, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #642 of 1,752
Nice to hear that amp #3 is running. Only two more to go while John happily listens to his speaker amp.
smile.gif

Gents, I will not be available much from Fri through Sun. Won't be able to troubleshoot if needed, but it appears that the builds are solid.

Sep 30, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #643 of 1,752
eeerrr 3 more..thought we had 6 folk building, Umjer, cobal and myself left. Am gonna be busy this weekend at the Seattle meet, but next week for sure i plan to wrap things up.

Sep 30, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #644 of 1,752
I'll be using my free time over the next little while to build the boards and other bits that are going into my total package.  I've still got to wait for my transformer, but my bench supply will do +-24 so I may power up the amp portion of the boards sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back