EHHA Rev A - Interest Thread
Oct 3, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #691 of 1,752
When this is your first amp/DIY project it is usually advised to start a bit smaller and not throw all your money into the first project (says me who did pretty much the contrary...
biggrin.gif
).
From another perspective it might also be smart to start with.. like... medium level since the SOHA II already has become a capable amp. Once you have finished it, cased it up, solved the problems that might come along the way you will be so happy to almost instantly start the next project....
and THEN the EHHA revA sure is a step up.

Just speaking out of own experience...

Oct 3, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #692 of 1,752
Thanks stixx, that seems like a good idea.
I think i will start off with the soha II as a first build, and continue on with the ehha rev a later.
maybe at that time, it has been released as a kit. :p

Quote:
From another perspective it might also be smart to start with.. like... medium level since the SOHA II already has become a capable amp. Once you have finished it, cased it up, solved the problems that might come along the way

Your statement has been the most convising yet.
I know by my own learningskills, i can complete the Soha II and probably solve out the issues in the way, based on the forum threads of the build.

Oct 3, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #695 of 1,752
Well, it's been over a week with the HD650's...

Smooth, extended, detailed, controlled. Without a doubt the biggest soundstage I have heard with the HD650. I must admit I was slightly worried the MOSFET's would hold it back, but, that does not appear to be the case. It does not come across slow or sluggish, just effortless power (and gobs of it). Perhaps a bit too much mid-bass, but, that is most likely the HD650 rather than this amp. It will be interesting to contrast this build with the BJT version I plan on building as a follow up (at this point, I MUST, HAVE, BOTH! <evil laughter>). 

Still no issues with the amp itself. It is holding bias just fine with no heat related issues. The only thing the appears to be breaking a sweat is the Antek transformer and even that is holding up just fine so far.

Very, very impressive.

Oct 3, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #696 of 1,752
Considering that HD650's are my primary listening source, I'm looking forward to completing my build.  Especially since they sound fantastic with my DAC and amp combo right now.

It will be interesting though, as my will be a BJT build.  Will need to meet up with someone to compare to a MOSFET build at some point in the future...

Oct 3, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #700 of 1,752

2SD1763A and 2SB1186A.  I have spares from an original Kumisa III project I'm working on.

Now that is interesting. I am not familiar with those parts and have not read much about them. I will be most curious to hear what you think of them.

I will probably build with the reference parts, but, I have some toshiba parts I would not mind trying (2232/968) , I am just not sure if they are counterfeits or not. I have never used a transistor socket, perhaps I might give that a go.

Anyone have any recommendations on transistor sockets for TO-220 packaging?

Oct 4, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #705 of 1,752
Gents, there seems to be interest for both boards and kits. I have been talking with Jeff at Glass Jar. I would not be able to offer kits, but Jeff can do that if there is enough interest.

It would also be a bit easier for me, now that the beta builds appear to be successful, to transfer supplying the boards/kits to Jeff. As you all know, Jeff has been handling all of my diy type amps for several years.

If anyone has objection to this step please PM me or email at alex@cavalliaudio.com. And don't hesitate either because I want to know what you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back