EHHA Rev A - Interest Thread
Aug 23, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #241 of 1,752

Quote:
So, on the transformer ... bigger is not better.

A single 30-0-30/400mA transformer will do for two channels. Anything with higher spec than this runs various risks for power dissipation in the rail regulators and/or too much voltage into the regulator.

My strong suggestion is to find one with this or close to this spec.

I'm not worried about voltage input into the regulators, more about dissipation.  For the cost, I can always buy one, and test since I'm going to order other stuff as well.

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #243 of 1,752

Quote:
way too spendy if you ask me..rather go for off the shelf Toroids and a secondary heater transformer. Add a heater delay and you are all set.

I prefer cleaner, hum-free iron. 
tongue.gif

I asked Richard for a quote on the following spec:

120/240 primary, (2) 60VCT @ 200mA, and (2) 7V @ 500mA in both banded open as well as shielded and fully encapsulated.  The dual voltage primary adds $5 or $10 to the cost, but IMO is worth the little extra up front to allow sale of the unit to most of the world later. 

Electra-Print units under 200VA have generally been within $10-$15 of the SumR shielded and encapsulated iron.  The E-I PS iron would yield cleaner power coming in, but it's a larger package to fit in a chassis. 

EDIT:  Broskie has a nice little two position AC power switch kit for $6.  Off-winding 1 power on-winding 1 and winding 2 power on.  So it's a simple, low cost way to power up the heaters, then power up the amp.  No TDRs, no more complex than it needs to be, but it's just a simple rotary switch so no cool illuminated momentary power push buttons either...

Aug 24, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #245 of 1,752

Quote:

tongue.gif

120/240 primary, (2) 60VCT @ 200mA, and (2) 7V @ 500mA in both banded open as well as shielded and fully encapsulated.  The dual voltage primary adds $5 or $10 to the cost, but IMO is worth the little extra up front to allow sale of the unit to most of the world later. 

Electra-Print units under 200VA have generally been within $10-$15 of the SumR shielded and encapsulated iron.  The E-I PS iron would yield cleaner power coming in, but it's a larger package to fit in a chassis. 

EDIT:  Broskie has a nice little two position AC power switch kit for $6.  Off-winding 1 power on-winding 1 and winding 2 power on.  So it's a simple, low cost way to power up the heaters, then power up the amp.  No TDRs, no more complex than it needs to be, but it's just a simple rotary switch so no cool illuminated momentary power push buttons either...

for those looking for an EI in the PS, Partsconnexion has the Hammond 167G60 60V C.T./.5A: http://www.partsconnexion.com/hammond_fil_encl.htm

for heater EI, no reasonably sized "matching" TX from the 167-series.  the 266-series is a little "nicer" to look at compared to the 166-series and a little more flexible with dual primaries and secondaries.  this one would work, but the lead-time is 4wks: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?lang=en&site=US&WT.z_homepage_link=hp_go_button&KeyWords=266G14&x=0&y=0

otherwise, the "economical" 166J8 (8.5V C.T./1A) or 166L8 (8.5V C.T./2A) should work with with UF4002 rectifiers in the heater supply?  http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fairchild-Semiconductor/UF4002/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtEwUVCuofpuGhtK2I2zIFHcv3dRFvTnkM%3d.  add a single 166G60 (60V C.T./0.5A) in the PS.  Partsconnexion has a good selection of 166-series:  http://www.partsconnexion.com/hammond_fil_open.html.  only $43 for both the heater and PS TX.

Aug 24, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #246 of 1,752

tongue.gif

The shielded and encapsulated version still sound interesting. Especially since I ultimately want to do a single enclosure with this amp.

What kind of lead time do those usually have?

Still looking for options, keep them coming.

Aug 24, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #248 of 1,752

Quote:
Regarding the BJT version. jdkjake and I will provide the alternate parts for this version and the design center transistors will be MJE243/253. Anything that biases close to these should work.

Quote:
Just a quick note, the MJE243 seems to be backordered at both Mouser and Digikey.

So, I would look to source those elsewhere as the Mouser expected delivery date is in November!?!

I have 2 each of the MJE243/253 so I have no need of them.

Is there a reason you guys want to supply to parts - I have no issue with ordering for myself.

I know I said I was going to build with 2SC2238/2SA968, but I think I'm going to change that.  When I was looking on my bench to check for the MJEs, I realized I have some other transistors that may be a good fit - 2SB1186A and 2SD1763A.  Extras from a Kumisa build.

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #251 of 1,752

Quote:
The shielded and encapsulated version still sound interesting. Especially since I ultimately want to do a single enclosure with this amp.

What kind of lead time do those usually have?

Still looking for options, keep them coming.

Lead times from SumR are generally about one week with encapsulated units.  Less with the open, banded units by two days or so.

Here is the pricing for 120/240 primary, (2) 60VCT @ 200mA, and (2) 7V @ 500mA:

[size=x-small]- fully encapsulated and shielded: US $ 74/ea[/size]
[size=x-small]- just with a core band and mounting hardware: US $ 53/ea[/size]

[size=x-small]If a few guys are interested, then I'll ask Richard to assign a part number to each version and then you can just contact him to tell him you want the p/n: **** trafo for the EHHA, then provide your address to determine shipping, he'll send you a total, and your off[/size]. 

I'll wager these units are about 3-1/4" in diameter and about 2" high, but I've asked for the dimensions.

So, the $53 unit will be smaller than two Hammonds and probably not hum or vibrate like the lower end Hammonds are prone to doing.  Edcors would be another alternate choice for E-Is too, but I haven't looked at their options. 

Aug 24, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #252 of 1,752
I was close, but had them mixed up a bit...

The dimensions:

[size=x-small]-non encapped:    OD: 3.5" x HT:1.1"[/size]
[size=x-small]- encapped in box: OD: 4  1/8"  x  HT: 2 1/8" [/size]

Aug 24, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #254 of 1,752
i called A.L.:
Y236001 = $20.23
Y236107 = $22.47

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #255 of 1,752

Quote:

Lead times from SumR are generally about one week with encapsulated units.  Less with the open, banded units by two days or so.

Here is the pricing for 120/240 primary, (2) 60VCT @ 200mA, and (2) 7V @ 500mA:

[size=x-small]- fully encapsulated and shielded: US $ 74/ea[/size]
[size=x-small]- just with a core band and mounting hardware: US $ 53/ea[/size]

[size=x-small]If a few guys are interested, then I'll ask Richard to assign a part number to each version and then you can just contact him to tell him you want the p/n: **** trafo for the EHHA, then provide your address to determine shipping, he'll send you a total, and your off[/size]. 

I'll wager these units are about 3-1/4" in diameter and about 2" high, but I've asked for the dimensions.

So, the $53 unit will be smaller than two Hammonds and probably not hum or vibrate like the lower end Hammonds are prone to doing.  Edcors would be another alternate choice for E-Is too, but I haven't looked at their options. 

I am still interested. Might kill me in shipping though.

EDIT: Deleted obvious question -- doh!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back