EHHA Rev A - Interest Thread
Oct 6, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #736 of 1,752
What are the dimensions for the different board segments?

Just thinking ahead
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #740 of 1,752
Now, THIS is what is known as a First Class Upgrade!

Installed the custom Sumr today. Sweetness:

Plenty of power. Here are the measures:

MOSFETS at 220mV:   38.25V at the regulators
                                   31.35VAC at the secondaries

Heaters at 6.295V:        8.5V at TP3
                                   7.4VAC at the secondaries

I will let it warm up some more and check them again and take some temps. So far, I am really impressed with this part. A luxury item for certain, but, certainly worthy of consideration.

Thanks to BoilermakerFan for the heads-up!

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #741 of 1,752
Very Cool jake, I've got mine in the mail to day as well. They are certainly very attractive.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've got set back by a short on the V- pin on the servo to ground. Gotta bypass that section somehow. I'm thinking of bending the V- pin on the opamp so that it bypasses the adapter, thus bypassing the short, then solder the .1uF cap as close to the pin as possible, then air wire the rest according to the schematics. Sane plan, no?

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #743 of 1,752

Quote:
I've got set back by a short on the V- pin on the servo to ground. Gotta bypass that section somehow. I'm thinking of bending the V- pin on the opamp so that it bypasses the adapter, thus bypassing the short, then solder the .1uF cap as close to the pin as possible, then air wire the rest according to the schematics. Sane plan, no?

Do you think the short is under the DIP socket or in the board itself? At this point, odds are pretty good it is not in the board itself.

If you have another socket available, I would probably recommend removing the existing one just to see what might actually be going on. Massive solder blob maybe? Personally, I am not a fan of white wires without knowing why I need them. If you have a solder pump, those DIP packages come out pretty easy as you can really put the heat to them without concern. Even if you have to use a tool of death (aka, pliers) and have to destroy it, it will come out.

Tough call. Ultimately, dealers choice on the solution.

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #744 of 1,752
no massive solder blob. The resistance between the pins proves that. Its that single pin, or something somewhere on that segment. But since the segment is not very long, and I couldn't spot a single short anywhere, I'm guessing that pin is directly shorted to the ground. Not a fan of pliers of death. I've already scraped off a tiny section of solder mask while using that method. I guess I'll grab a solder pump from the local mom&pop electronic shop in the weekends and see what happens.

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #745 of 1,752
Did you pull C14 yet? Just to take a peek?

How about the 79L15 (V-)? Might want to buzz the 79L15 and make sure there are no shorts between the legs.

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like you already did that.

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #746 of 1,752
Yeah, pull them both out thinking that it could only be either one or the other. Turns out both were fine. :S Something is shorted to ground, but I just can't find it.

BTW, did Sumr include a hex screw and nut with the transformer?

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #747 of 1,752
Man, that is really strange. The closest ground is the south side of C14. Nowhere near that pin.

Maybe you do have a board defect. I would check the output trace to make sure that is not shorted as well. Like between OUT and R31 and/or R10.

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #749 of 1,752
Yeah, I've already made sure there are no other shorts. I'll have to spend more time to make sure that is the case though. I'll post some pictures after my camera finish charging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back