efficient way of breaking in headphones
Aug 29, 2002 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 12
p2_7_3_1.gif

Aug 29, 2002 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 12
I believe using pink/white noise covers most of the audio spectrum and according to a break in guide of the cables I recently bought, it says that pink/white noise "carries 95% of the signal necessary for ultimate cable performance"... So far, burning in with a white/pink noise cd (half cd is white other half is pink) has worked well for me... The cables are improving faster than I usually anticipate for a copper IC, and the day to day is more dramatic than what I am use to as well (I am only doing about 10-12 hours of white/pink a day too).

Aug 29, 2002 at 6:49 AM Post #5 of 12
Pardon my ignorance, but what is white and pink noise? Can I download white and pink tracks to burn to a CD to use or do I need to purchase them somewhere?

Also, while I'm at it: Is there a place I can download a 20Hz-20KHz sine sweep?

Ruahrc

Aug 29, 2002 at 7:15 AM Post #6 of 12
White noise is a constantly varying barrage of all audible frequencies at various amplitudes. Pink noise is all audible frequency noise, but is at the same amplitude at each octave.

A good investment would be an audio test disc, indispensible for setting up systems and troubleshooting problems. Also quite useful for burning stuff in!

I personally don't think it is necessary to run sweeps or any particular kind of noise to break-in headphones, though these tracks may be useful for cables. Since you didn't specify what you are burning in, I will simply say that any bass heavy music will be fine for burning in headphones.

Aug 29, 2002 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 12
Autechre's new single Gantz Graf
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 30, 2002 at 2:14 AM Post #10 of 12
Just out of curiosity, would it be better to just download this 10 second pink noise wav clip from here and just loop the 10 seconds for 80 minutes with a sound editing program (GoldWave, SoundForge, CoolEdit, etc) and use that instead of spending $20 and buying this ?
Would it be as effective? If so then I'll have to make room for a temporary 700mb wav file
biggrin.gif

Thnx
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 30, 2002 at 2:37 AM Post #12 of 12
Pink noise may be attractive from a theoretical viewpoint, but I would use FM radio for a continuously varying complex waveform. If you're going to teach it tricks - teach it ones worth knowing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back