Effect Audio x Elysian Acoustic Labs Gaea - Discussion & Impression Thread
Dec 9, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #46 of 186
I saw lots of initial impressions claiming it lacked bass impact

I think there is a couple things behind that maybe.

The first is that the Gaea is tuned with the high mids and treble as the focal point with bass distinctly in the background. This persepctive of the tuning may make the bass seem lacking or unsatisfying to some.

Alternately it might depend on what you're coming from. If you're used to listenng to IEMs with BA bass then Gaea's DD bass will seem at least as if not more impactful. Alternately if you come from IEMs with notably bass dominant signatures or high quality DD bass then Gaea's bass may seem a little one-note and lacking in some weight, decay and texture.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #47 of 186

The first is that the Gaea is tuned with the high mids and treble as the vocal point with bass distinctly in the background. This persepctive of the tuning may make the bass seem lacking or unsatisfying to some.

Alternately it might depend on what you're coming from. If you're used to listenng to IEMs with BA bass then Gaea's DD bass will seem at least as if not more impactful. Alternately if you come from IEMs with notably bass dominant signatures or high quality DD bass then Gaea's bass may seem a little note and lacking in some weight, decay and texture.
Also if you're sensitive to upper mid forwardness and/or treble elevation, it may just be the wrong fit, especially if you prefer a more relaxed listen. If you're after its strengths, it's perfectly matched and giid value at its price point.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #48 of 186

The first is that the Gaea is tuned with the high mids and treble as the focal point with bass distinctly in the background. This persepctive of the tuning may make the bass seem lacking or unsatisfying to some.

Alternately it might depend on what you're coming from. If you're used to listenng to IEMs with BA bass then Gaea's DD bass will seem at least as if not more impactful. Alternately if you come from IEMs with notably bass dominant signatures or high quality DD bass then Gaea's bass may seem a little one-note and lacking in some weight, decay and texture.
I still have a 64A Nio on hand while I agree the Gaea doesn’t have nearly as much slam or fullness in the lows like the Nio, it doesn’t sound lacking. I think part of this was going into the first listen expecting lean bass response. Funny how that can change one’s expectations without actually giving something a shot.

Dec 14, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #49 of 186
When I first tried Gaea, I thought rumble was too low because of fast decay and lack of bass. (7.5/10)
And I was crazy put the Final type E from Odyssey on the Gaea.
Long decay , more rumble and more bass texture. Reduce grain , more focuse everything (8.5/10)..........So buy it.

For me, there's no problem with the upper-mid, I think it gives the vocal power.
Treble for me is not fatigue and not sibilance. But it didn't reach flagship level.

Tips are very effective. I have tried with different tips. But for me it has to be Final type E.
I don't know who it is but he reviews (almost) like my opinion.

https://www.headfonia.com/effect-audio-gaea-review/

Timbre and tonallity , overall, Gaea better than many flagships that cost 2-3 times more.
When considering the price , for me it's worth it.
Sorry if something wrong because I'm watching France Vs. Morocco.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #50 of 186
When I first tried Gaea, I thought rumble was too low because of fast decay and lack of bass. (7.5/10)
And I was crazy put the Final type E from Odyssey on the Gaea.
Long decay , more rumble and more bass texture. Reduce grain , more focuse everything (8.5/10)..........So buy it.

For me, there's no problem with the upper-mid, I think it gives the vocal power.
Treble for me is not fatigue and not sibilance. But it didn't reach flagship level.

Tips are very effective. I have tried with different tips. But for me it has to be Final type E.
I don't know who it is but he reviews (almost) like my opinion.

https://www.headfonia.com/effect-audio-gaea-review/

Timbre and tonallity , overall, Gaea better than many flagships that cost 2-3 times more.
When considering the price , for me it's worth it.
Sorry if something wrong because I'm watching France Vs. Morocco.

Thanks a lot for your impressions. I've seen in your sig that you have the Focal Clear. Is the Gaea comparable to the Clear. It seems that the Gaea has the "same" forwardness in the upper mid, but is more bright than the clear? I'm looking for an iem that has the same or similar tuning to the Focal Clear und is really good for vocals. I'm afraid that the Gaea is too bright for me like the Hifiman Arya (not much too bright, but overall).

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #51 of 186
Thanks a lot for your impressions. I've seen in your sig that you have the Focal Clear. Is the Gaea comparable to the Clear. It seems that the Gaea has the "same" forwardness in the upper mid, but is more bright than the clear? I'm looking for an iem that has the same or similar tuning to the Focal Clear und is really good for vocals. I'm afraid that the Gaea is too bright for me like the Hifiman Arya (not much too bright, but overall).
I def don't think its even in the same ballpark as the clear just look at the measurements. Probably better off with something like maybe the UM mest MKii.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #52 of 186
I def don't think its even in the same ballpark as the clear just look at the measurements. Probably better off with something like maybe the UM mest MKii.
Thanks for your post. I would like to try the Mest Mk2, but I have no possibility. The Mest seems recessed in the upper mids and treble area. The clear is elevated in the upper mid area like the Gaea, but not that much. So I think the Mest is not really optimal for vocals. I actually have the 64 Audio Trio, which are really nice, but the vocals are more in the background and not "in your face" because of the dip in the upper mid and I really like to complement the Trio with another iem.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #53 of 186
I have the Gaea and the Clear OG. Although I wouldn't really say they sound similar, I do really enjoy both IEMs. I actually find the Gaea to be better for vocals than the Clear. Though part of that might simply be in part because they're IEMs so the isolation might help with that.

Dec 14, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #54 of 186
Wow I can’t figure out what everyone is hearing here. I’ve had the Gaea for a few days and they’re too fatiguing to listen to no matter what tips etc I use. I’ve read all the review and some have mentioned this but then glowing other things and I don’t understand it. My Mest Mk2 blows it out of the water for soundstage, instrument separation, and just general tonality. I’m just not sure what people are hearing that I’m not. Everything is fatiguing even with the final e tips. Keep in mind I listen to metal but…

If you know anyone who wants to trade, shoot me a PM.

Dec 14, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #56 of 186
Wow I can’t figure out what everyone is hearing here. I’ve had the Gaea for a few days and they’re too fatiguing to listen to no matter what tips etc I use. I’ve read all the review and some have mentioned this but then glowing other things and I don’t understand it. My Mest Mk2 blows it out of the water for soundstage, instrument separation, and just general tonality. I’m just not sure what people are hearing that I’m not. Everything is fatiguing even with the final e tips. Keep in mind I listen to metal but…

If you know anyone who wants to trade, shoot me a PM.
It's probably the music genres. I don't listen to metal, but I especially wouldn't listen to metal with the Gaeas.

I also don't think I've read anyone say these are laid-back IEMs.

Listening volume might also have something to do with it. They can definitely be fatiguing if you like to listen loud.

Dec 14, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #57 of 186
Lee from Elysian doesn't tune laid back IEMs it seems. It is so paradoxical how differently we can all hear things sometimes. I am usually very sensitive to strident upper mids however I find Gaea's high mids & highs to be really sweet, finessed and never fatiguing. There is a review for the Gaea on Musicteck which says "Mother Earth Has A Heavenly, Airy Voice" and I agree with this sentiment entirely. While it does very seldomly straddle the line of too much energy up top it never quite gets there for me. YMMV and all that.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #58 of 186
Lee from Elysian doesn't tune laid back IEMs it seems. It is so paradoxical how differently we can all hear things sometimes. I am usually very sensitive to strident upper mids but Gaea's mids & highs are really sweet, finessed and never fatiguing to my ears. There is a review for the Gaea on Musicteck which says "Mother Earth Has A Heavenly, Airy Voice" and I agree with this sentiment entirely. While it does for me very seldomly straddle the line of too much energy up top it never quite gets there for me. YMMV and all that.
That review is mine, so I can say I also completely agree haha.

Dec 15, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #60 of 186

I tried Gaea almost 2 hours before buying. After purchase, I tried with 400+ songs. Not fatigue , not sibilance.
J-Pop , K-Pop , Asian-Pop , Pop-Rock , Rock , Prog Rock , Acoustic , Country , Asian-Country.
Gaea is not suitable for brass instruments. Trombone , Trumpet etc. The sound will be quite rough.
I could stay with Gaea for 5 hours straight without feeling abnormal, but with Clear I couldn't.

- Clear Suitable for many music genres than Gaea. No problem with brass instruments. I don't like soundstage like balloon around my head. Vocals and instruments are too smooth, not grain , not texture , I don't like it. I don't think there are good detail in treble. Bright and agressive than Gaea.
- Arya SE , bass quantity , impact , punch and slam less than Clear. Soundstage is transparent , relieved, comfortable. Give every detail better Clear. The vocals are rough and grain , feel the texture. Treble more relax than Clear. I don't think Arya SE is bright , including Sundara 2020. Gaea is definitely brighter than Arya SE but not much.
It's hard to compare IEMs to headphones.
- Mest MKII Recessed in upper mid and then soar up in treble area . Yes, I can feel treble but it was a hardened ,harsh voice , too close to other sounds (instruments and chorus) and annoying. It's like you press the lighter many times. Don't get me wrong, Bass, Mids are good. Good IEM without "WOW" factor (follow the textbook), it's not surprising to me that prices drop so often.
But overall Gaea has better mids and a more beautiful and realistic vocal (colorless).

Gaea has a good vocal position. Not too close to the face, not shirked. Lively&Fun IEM , not laid back IEM.
However, I can't say whether you like Gaea or not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back